+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a degree for NOC-21301

donnydarko

Jul 19, 2021
I'm a mechanical engineer with 6 years of experience. I want to move to Canada. I'm considering making an EE profile and also applying for different PNP streams. My chosen NOC is 21301. These are the requirements for this NOC:

-A bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.

-Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).

However, I only have a 3-year diploma and my scores are 432, so I definitely won't be selected under the general category. If I get nominated by a province, could my diploma be a problem when applying for the PR since I don't have a bachelor's degree?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm a mechanical engineer with 6 years of experience. I want to move to Canada. I'm considering making an EE profile and also applying for different PNP streams. My chosen NOC is 21301. These are the requirements for this NOC:

-A bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.

-Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).

However, I only have a 3-year diploma and my scores are 432, so I definitely won't be selected under the general category. If I get nominated by a province, could my diploma be a problem when applying for the PR since I don't have a bachelor's degree?
Depends on the PNP. For SINP (as an example), your education MUST match the NOC and you must be licensed. So SINP is not an option.

donnydarko

Jul 19, 2021
Thank you. So the same goes for OINP? Because that stream also requires a bachelor's degree. From what I know, many people have gotten nominations even with a diploma, and the same was told to me by a RCIC.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you. So the same goes for OINP? Because that stream also requires a bachelor's degree. From what I know, many people have gotten nominations even with a diploma, and the same was told to me by a RCIC.
What OINP stream as there are 9 streams? For Human Capital Stream (your score is too low and don’t even know if NOC is selected), you need a degree. Last OINP tech draw was CRS score of 471+ and your NOC wasn’t selected.

You must have a Canadian bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree or its equivalent in another country

donnydarko

Jul 19, 2021
I am sorry. Yes, I was talking about the Human Capital Stream. Yes, presently, my scores are low.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, like I mentioned, one RCIC told me that I could still receive a nomination from SINP or OINP with my 3-year Canadian diploma, despite OINP's requirement for a bachelor's degree, if my occupation is in demand according to the province's list.

Hypothetically, if I receive that nomination and file for the PR application, can the federal government deny my application because I don't meet the NOC-21301 requirement of having a bachelor's degree?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am sorry. Yes, I was talking about the Human Capital Stream. Yes, presently, my scores are low.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, like I mentioned, one RCIC told me that I could still receive a nomination from SINP or OINP with my 3-year Canadian diploma, despite OINP's requirement for a bachelor's degree, if my occupation is in demand according to the province's list.

Hypothetically, if I receive that nomination and file for the PR application, can the federal government deny my application because I don't meet the NOC-21301 requirement of having a bachelor's degree?
OINP-HCP states you must have a bachelor’s, masters or PhD. People on this forum have been refused nomination because they don’t have a degree but a diploma. Don’t even think your NOC is selected.

For SINP, your NOC is licensed so you need one. Your education must match your NOC. Again, is your NOC and SINP score selected.

Nothing to do with federal, it is the provinces that will refuse your nomination if you don’t meet their requirements.

Ask your consultant for specific examples of clients who received nominations and PR.

donnydarko

Jul 19, 2021
I see. I'm unsure how I can obtain a license since I don't reside in Canada. Perhaps, once i get my PR, then I would need a license if I wish to pursue a career in mechanical engineering?