+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorced by Husband- Depressed and Devastated

showell

Aug 17, 2009
I left Canada during the first 6 months of landing and now really worried and confused on the implications to my status. I'm really hoping that someone would shed some light. Here is my story..

After 3 years of long distance relationship, my husband and I decided to get married on 1 July 2009 in Montreal. During these 3-year period we would take turns to visit each other; at least twice a year. My PR was finally approved and I landed in Montreal on 16 November 2009. I was really happy although I had to leave behind loving parents, corporate ranking job and other assets in Malaysia.

The winter in Montreal was pretty nasty, needless to say. I wasn't hoping for middle ranking corporate positions but I couldn't get a decent job as my French is really basic. I was balancing between 4 days French class from 9am-12noon and tele-marketing job from 2-10pm - 7 days a week. I would spend 2-3 hours at night searching for jobs on multiple on-line job agency. My husband couldn't help much as most jobs in Montreal require conversational French. We fought most nights for many reasons. The relationship was turning ugly. I lost 16 pounds in 3 months due to depression.

When everything was against me, I received a call that my father was sick back home. Extremely worried I told my husband that I need to visit my family and will be back after 6 months. He was against the idea but I still left in April 2010 and have been staying in Malaysia ever since.

In July 2010 - my husband filed for a divorce. Devastated and didn't want to hold him back I signed the papers and mailed it back. The divorced should be finalized soon. Its been over a year now but I couldn't move on. I'm extremely heart broken and couldn't understand why he had to file for divorce before seeing each other again. I know I still love him but he wouldn't want to take me back. I don't want to force him into anything.

Could someone be kind enough to share your thoughts:-

1. Does anyone know what would happen to my PR?
2. When should I return to Canada in order to secure renewal on PR due on 15 November 2015?
3. Does the divorce has any implications on my PR status?
4. Should I consult local embassy on my case?
5. I didn't want to put my husband in trouble because he's obligated to support me for 3 years but what options do I have if I should return to Canada by July 2012..?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your divorce will not impact your PR status.

To maintain PR status, you must live in Canada 2 out of every 5 years.

If you receive social assistance (welfare) within the first three years of becoming a PR, your ex-husband will be responsible for paying it back.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
showell said:
1. Does anyone know what would happen to my PR?
2. When should I return to Canada in order to secure renewal on PR due on 15 November 2015?
3. Does the divorce has any implications on my PR status?
4. Should I consult local embassy on my case?
5. I didn't want to put my husband in trouble because he's obligated to support me for 3 years but what options do I have if I should return to Canada by July 2012..?
1. Nothing happens to your PR unless you stay away too long.
2. You can stay outside Canada for up to 3 years during your first 5 years as a PR and any 5 year period after that.
3. No.
4. Why?
5. If you got alimony or assets from him in the divorce settlement, he has to give you that. If you signed everything away, you were very good to him. His 3 year obligation to you only kicks in if you go on welfare in Canada during the 3 years. Then he will get the bill. Your options, like for any other PR is look for a job and make a life for yourself. You do not have to go back to Quebec. If your French is not good, you might have better luck in another province. Look for jobs online and set up interviews before you go. You can travel around and do interviews and settle where you get a good job.

Aug 28, 2012
I am so sorry to hear this. I am a Malaysia too, married to a Canadian. Long distance, for almost 3 years as well. What can I say, your ex is a douche bag. I slowly discover that mine is almost one too. I regretted my decision to leave everything behind. I have a stable high paying job back home, car and everything else.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
janedoeanonymous said:
I am so sorry to hear this. I am a Malaysia too, married to a Canadian. Long distance, for almost 3 years as well. What can I say, your ex is a douche bag. I slowly discover that mine is almost one too. I regretted my decision to leave everything behind. I have a stable high paying job back home, car and everything else.
You are replaying to a post made 4 years ago.