+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce settlement between applicant and sponsor

salamiz

Oct 13, 2018
Would appreciate help on the follow (very confusing to me):

In the light of 3 years financial responsibility of a sponsor towards the applicant, what happens if they get divorced (post PR), have a child, does the husband/applicant still need to pay the wife/sponsor and child their post divorce support ? Although the wife is under financial support responsibility for 3 years.

Help plz

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

In the light of 3 years financial responsibility of a sponsor towards the applicant, what happens if they get divorced (post PR), have a child, does the husband/applicant still need to pay the wife/sponsor and child their post divorce support ? Although the wife is under financial support responsibility for 3 years.

Help plz
The 3 year financial responsibility remains even after divorce. If the sponsored spouse goes on social assistance during the three year period after landing and becoming a PR, the spouse that sponsored them will have to repay this money to the government.

Reactions: Belarusian

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Help plz
The decision on alimony and child support is entirely up to family courts. It has nothing to do with the 3 year undertaking. The husband can still be ordered to pay support regardless of the undertaking.