+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did my undergrad in Canada, now doing my Masters and working as TA. Want to apply for PR after grad

par18

Sep 23, 2018
I was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation. I did my undergrad in BC and graduate earlier this year. Took the summer off and just started my Masters. I just started working part-time as a Teaching Assistance (technically my position is Tutor Marker because I’m teaching an online course this semester.
I have no previous skilled work experience (I worked retail before while I was a student). I’m on a study permit (I was told by a student advisor not to apply for the post-grad work permit until I finished my Masters, not sure why).

My question is whether I’ll be able to apply for PR under any stream once I graduate from my Masters if I manage to accumulate enough hours as a tutor marker, teaching assistant and research assistant.

I’m not sure how people who are pursuing a career in academia do this. I want to go on to do a PhD once I’m done with this but international students don’t get as many funding opportunities as Canadians/PRs. I’m worried I’ll have to take a few years off just to work and accumulate hours just to apply for PR.

Anyone have any experience with this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Work experience gained while studying in Canada cannot be counted towards any immigration program. Your work as a TA / tutor marker / research assistant will not count as work experience towards PR.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
answer is maybe. There are some PNP programs for freshly graduated in Canada. You need to check the province you are studying in.

BertlCamus

Star Member
Sep 26, 2017
I would apply for a post graduate work permit. You have 90 days after graduation from your Master's to apply for one. Note that you have to decide between that or continuing on with a PhD. Can't do both at the same time.