+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

December 2023 Inland Spousal Sponsorship

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Hello!

I submitted the application on Dec.7th, 2023. Until today (Dec. 21st), I have not received the AOR yet which is normal.

My open work permit will expire on Jan.05th, 2024. This Saturday (Dec. 23rd, 2023), I am planning to go to the border (Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle). I hope that I could apply for sponsored OWP without AOR at the border. I know the chance is almost zero...But I still want to try it. If impossible, I will apply for a visitor record at the border. Then I will apply OWP online without AOR which is allowed. I will keep you updated...
OWP for Spousal sponsorship cannot be delivered at the border, because one of the conditions is that you have a status IN Canada. When at the border, technically you're not in Canada and thus don't have a status. Several people tried to get it at the border and they almost all failed.

What you can do is wait until your current work permit is expiring in less than 2 weeks then apply for the OWP with your email receipt stating you submitted your application. There's a new public policy that enable you to do so without the AOR if your current document expire in less than 2 weeks (it is detailed at the bottom of the guide for the spousal sponsorship open work pemit: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html )

This way you'll have maintained status and can continue working as your current work permit will be maintained until a decision is made on your new request.

jbjnikesh

Mar 17, 2014
Applied common law Sponsorship on December 21. Have a question, I did not get any email confirmation however showing submitted status in the portal. Anything to be worried about? Thank you!

sidhuripudaman

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
Applied common law Sponsorship on December 21. Have a question, I did not get any email confirmation however showing submitted status in the portal. Anything to be worried about? Thank you!
I don't think anything to worry about, but you can check in your spam folder, check your sponsor's email too.

October applicant

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
Hello!

I submitted the application on Dec.7th, 2023. Until today (Dec. 21st), I have not received the AOR yet which is normal.

My open work permit will expire on Jan.05th, 2024. This Saturday (Dec. 23rd, 2023), I am planning to go to the border (Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle). I hope that I could apply for sponsored OWP without AOR at the border. I know the chance is almost zero...But I still want to try it. If impossible, I will apply for a visitor record at the border. Then I will apply OWP online without AOR which is allowed. I will keep you updated...
You have to apply online through gc key. Even though you haven’t received AOR, and your current work permit expires within 2 weeks, you would be able to apply without AOR, you need to submit application submission confirmation email along with other documents. You would be on an implied status.