+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Customs declaration form: Canadian resident or visitor?

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Hi all
Couple days ago I came to Canada for holidays again, and this time I have indicated "visitor" in my declaration form.

Everything was smooth this time. The officer looked at the foreign address and asked when I started working abroad and when I think to return to Canada. I have explained my plan to return before the 5 years mark from the day I became PR, and that I already have 730 days accumulated for the first 5 years period, and will have some (small) surplus of days when I apply for a new card.
He told me to try to return to Canada couple months earlier so I could travel freely after that.

Overall, it seems they are not surprised that a PR indicates "visitor" on the declaration form.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
This is interesting, the Canadian Snow Bird Association has been pushing the provinces to extend the amount of time residents can be out of their respective provinces and still be considered a "resident" for purposes of maintaining their provincial health coverage. Many provinces now allow you to be out of the province for up to 7 months out of the year.

Under various provincial laws, you are a "resident" of the province as long as you have your domicile there and intend to return there when you are gone. it doesn't matter how long you are away. The issue is your intentions.