+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CSQ and Sponsorship of Adult Sibling (Lonely Canadian Case)

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
I'm posting this question again here since this forum is specifically for Quebec-related immigration (original question here).

Has anyone sponsored their adult sibling and got the CSQ? Are the rules/requirements different for the Other Relatives (aka Lonely Canadian) case in Quebec?

I live in Quebec and fall under the lonely Canadian category and I only have one brother whom I want to sponsor along with his family. On the IRCC Web site, it clearly states that in my case I can sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age (along with their spouse and dependent children). However, when I check Immigration Quebec Web site, there is no explicit mention of this case at all, and in fact they list the requirements on the sponsored person as follows:

Sponsored person (close relative)

To be sponsored, your close relative must belong to the family class and meet specific requirements:

You can sponsor:
  • Your spouse, de facto spouse or conjugal partner – Specific requirements
  • Your dependent child – Specific requirements
  • Your father, mother, grandfather or grandmother – Specific requirements
  • Your orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter who is under 18 years of age and does not have a spouse or de facto spouse – Specific requirements
  • A child you plan to adopt (international adoption) – Process for adopting a child residing abroad
This does not seem to include an orphaned married sibling, which is my case, and does not refer to a sponsor who does not have family/relatives in Canada. Would they reject a CSQ application in my case?

frange

May 25, 2018
It's a good thread and we can share our information together.

Already sent my application( received on Nov 18, 2020) to sponsor my Brother who is adult.

I bet you already know that category is highly restrictive.
- Sponsor have to be single, no kids and remain like that throughout the process, no RP/Citizen close relative in Canada. No parents alive for both sponsor and applicant.
- Be ready to support them financially for 10 years.

1- There is nothing related to this on Quebec immigration site. For details, check the IRCC website and you will see somewhere it's said that the government of Quebec would proceed all applications that IRCC find eligible.

2- Once IRCC receives your application, they will proceed it under the category that you apply in. If eligible, you will receive a notification from IRCC to proceed the CSQ step through Quebec immigration. You just fill out the CSQ forms with a print out of IRCC letter saying that the application is eligible.

3- After months, if everything is OK, you will receive 2 CSQ copies( Immigration+applicant). Then Quebec part is done and they will notify IRCC that CSQs were granted and sent to the sponsor.

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Thank you frange. Indeed it would be good if anyone in the same boat share their progress in this thread.

1- There is nothing related to this on Quebec immigration site. For details, check the IRCC website and you will see somewhere it's said that the government of Quebec would proceed all applications that IRCC find eligible.
My question was mainly because of my concern about this exact point. The Immigration Quebec Web site completely dropped any mentioning of this I was wondering whether that means that they won't consider these applications for CSQ despite the clear definition in the IRCC Web site. Upon further investigation, and as I mention in a later reply in the other thread, the lonely Canadian case is indeed part of the Quebec Immigration Act. They just did not listed on the Web site for some reason! So it should be ok.

frange

May 25, 2018
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/immigrer-installer/regroupement-familial/demande/index.html
démarches importantes
Voici trois démarches importantes à accomplir pour parrainer un proche parent et des renseignements pour vous aider à comprendre ces démarches que vous entreprenez. Votre parrainé aura aussi à effectuer de son côté certaines démarches.

1. Faire une demande de parrainage auprès du gouvernement du Canada (plus précisément auprès d’Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada – IRCC).
  2. Faire une demande d’engagement auprès du gouvernement du Québec.
  3. Demander à votre parrainé d’effectuer certaines démarches – demande de sélection permanente et demande de résidence permanente.

Vous pouvez présenter votre demande d’engagement seulement une fois que vous avez reçu la confirmation que votre demande de parrainage est recevable par IRCC. Préparez tout de même à l’avance votre demande d’engagement incluant la demande de certificat de sélection du parrainé avec tous les documents exigés afin d’être prêt à l’envoyer au Ministère dès que vous recevrez votre réponse d’IRCC.

L’immigration est une compétence partagée entre les gouvernements du Québec et du Canada. Dans le cas du regroupement familial (parrainer un proche parent), la personne qui veut parrainer doit obligatoirement répondre aux exigences des deux gouvernements. Voir aussi L’immigration au Québec : Partage des responsabilités Québec-Canada (PDF, 230 Ko).

XXXXXXXXXX

FYI:

If you understand French, read the bold characters above........ Quebec will proceed your application no matter what if you meet the federal requirements in order to sponsor your family.

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Thanks frange. Unfortunately, my French is still very basic (have been trying though!). But I can see from the Google translation that this is similar to the English page with regard to requirements on the "sponsor". I imagine the requirements listed for the "sponsored" person is also the same in both French and English pages (i.e., no mention of the Other Relatives case). But again, the requirements for the sponsored person in the Quebec Immigration Act are similar to those by IRCC. So, all is good.

Riad1477

Feb 11, 2019
Salut
Moi je suis parrainé par mon frère qui est un résident permanent au Québec
actuellement je suis a l'étape de la visite médicale que j'attends depuis presque un mois
bvc paris

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
@Riad1477 Thanks for sharing your case in this thread.

Would you mind sharing your timeline here? (e.g., date when your application was received by IRCC, date when SA letter was received, local visa office mentioned in SA letter, date when you send CSQ application, as well as any requested documents by IRCC)

frange

May 25, 2018
@Riad1477 Thanks for sharing your case in this thread.

Would you mind sharing your timeline here? (e.g., date when your application was received by IRCC, date when SA letter was received, local visa office mentioned in SA letter, date when you send CSQ application, as well as any requested documents by IRCC)
I remember in a French thread he said that his file was received on oct 2018, AOR January 2019, SA early 2020, CSQ fall 2020.
For now he is at medical stage.

Reactions: Riad1477

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Wow! One year after AoR just for SA! I imagined it takes just a couple of months.

I'm still gathering documents and preparing the application. I'm not sure about the supporting documents I need to ask my brother to send to me (other than photocopies of their passports and his birth certificate).

Do you know if IRCC needs proof that parents are deceased or that I'm not married? I asked him to send me copies of their death certificates just in case. I'm trying to think about anything else they might need so that I don't waste time waiting for mail from him if they request additional documents.

Riad1477

Feb 11, 2019
[QUOTE = "informer2000, message: 9100279, membre: 15889"]
[USER = 842308] @ Riad1477 [/ USER] Merci d'avoir partagé votre cas dans ce fil de discussion.

Pourriez-vous partager votre chronologie ici? (p. ex., date à laquelle votre demande a été reçue par IRCC, date à laquelle la lettre SA a été reçue, bureau des visas local mentionné dans la lettre SA, date à laquelle vous envoyez la demande CSQ, ainsi que tout document demandé par IRCC)
[/CITATION]

salut
Réception du dossier à sydny le 15 octobre 2018.
Aor le 15 janvier 2019.
En février 2019 demande de payer les frais de la biométrie.
Le 15 janvier 2020 demande de passer la biométrie.
23 janvier acceptation du parrainage et invitation a deposer le csq.
Réception du csq le 18 février 2020.
Aor csq le 15 juin.
10 juillet 2020 demande de documents suplimentaires.
14 septembre intention de refus à cause de l'insuffisance financière.
21 octobre documents pour appuyer notre demande.
le 10 novembre acceptation de l'engagement par mifi et reception de CSQ. Actuellement on est a 2 mois d'attentede IVM par le bvc de paris.
Voila tt.
M

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wow! One year after AoR just for SA! I imagined it takes just a couple of months.

I'm still gathering documents and preparing the application. I'm not sure about the supporting documents I need to ask my brother to send to me (other than photocopies of their passports and his birth certificate).

Do you know if IRCC needs proof that parents are deceased or that I'm not married? I asked him to send me copies of their death certificates just in case. I'm trying to think about anything else they might need so that I don't waste time waiting for mail from him if they request additional documents.
Yes you’ll need death certificates. Processing times are long because lonely Canadian is a rare situation, needs more proof that there are no parents/other relatives/spouses/common law and not as high priority as spouse or dependent child reunification.

frange

May 25, 2018

@ informer2000

Did you send the application?

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
@frange
Not yet. My brother is still collecting the needed supporting documents. The amount of bureaucracy is unbelievable. Hoping everything would be ready in the next few weeks.

Any updates on your application?

frange

May 25, 2018
@frange
Not yet. My brother is still collecting the needed supporting documents. The amount of bureaucracy is unbelievable. Hoping everything would be ready in the next few weeks.

No, It's still in prospective step ( temp. number), No AOR yet. Application received Nov 18, 2020.

Don't hesitate to put your update here since our process is not common like other sponsorship programs.

frange

May 25, 2018
@frange

What happen to your brother's application? Did you submit it?