+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the boarder into the usa with LMO and getting work permit

gambino123

Mar 11, 2013
Hi,

I'm new to forum and considering going to Canada and wonder if anyone with experience can help me.I am from the U.k and im considering going to Canada(Alberta/Calgary) in the summer to find work.I'm going to be looking for work in hospitality/manufacturing sector for jobs because they are listed under pressure.I phoned the foreign worker helpline and they said i could get a job offer within Canada,wait for the LMO(2-6weeks) then cross the boarder into the U.s and go back into Canada & collect my work permit.They said many people do this,but finding a job is the hard part.Anyone done this before?
Also i keep reading people saying that its hard to find a job online and more chance in finding a job by being there in person.Just wondering if anyone has gone this route and has been successful.

thanks for reading

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Finding a job while you are here in person is a bit easier than finding a job online - however it will likely still be difficult. In order to hire you, an employer will have to obtain an approved LMO (labour market opinion). To obtain an approved LMO, the employer must prove they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian to hire or train for the role. If the LMO is approved, you can then travel to a Canada/US land border to obtain a work permit.

The hardest part will be finding an employer will to go through the LMO process. However there's certainly nothing stopping you from trying.

carlitab

Mar 26, 2013
For me personally it was really hard I went to Calgary AB as a tourist to visit my boyfriend there and while I was visiting we try to find something and most of the companies who have already and LMO open don't want to wait on your work permit approval process time, they usually take people already with a open work permit. I had to come back to my country and now I applied under the Young Professionals Program fora 1 yaer work permit hopefully I'll get it. It hasn't been easy for me though I have been trying to find some work there since probably June 2012 and finally at January I found a company willing to take me under this program.

Regard to going to the US border I heard the same thing and that's what I was trying to do but for me it wasn't successful.