+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

crossing border without PR Card

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Hello :)

It's me again.

Being a PR since 2008 I simply forgot to renew my PR Card when it expired.
Thing is, I "moved" back to Germany with my daughter but I'll leave Germany in 3 weeks since I do not want
to stay in Germany but go back home to Canada.

I was reading in some posts across the internet that I would be able to either apply for a travel doc or cross borders by private vehicle.

I booked a flight to Seattle and my hubby (who's still in Canada) will pick me up at the airport and take me back home.

There will be some changes in the near future, so I was wondering if I'll get into trouble if I want to cross borders only using my landing papers (I do have my expired PR Card on me) and my passport.

I'm not going to lie to the officers, I just couldn't. I simply forgot about the card. :(

What do you think?

Thanks for your time, I appriciate it!
T-C

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Crossed the border today with no PR card.

If you cross at the land border and have an expired or no card, there is a very good chance you will get asked about your status. If you met the residency obligation, they will let you in. It may take them a little bit to figure that out, and anything you bring will help you.

Starting next year, if you don't have the card, you will have to apply for a travel document. If you meet the residency requirements, you will be fine.

kk1957

Star Member
May 31, 2015
I came back in Canada with my wife from America in August by road through a private vehicle. I had my Canadian passport but my Wife's PR was damaged due to an accident. So we just showed her landing paper and had no difficulties. Its also best to keep your expired PR card with you when re-entering.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
It may take them a little bit to figure that out, and anything you bring will help you.

What do you mean by bring anything that could help? Rental agreements or tax papers?

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Tri-Cities said:
It may take them a little bit to figure that out, and anything you bring will help you.

What do you mean by bring anything that could help? Rental agreements or tax papers?
Things that show you meet the residency requirement can be helpful, if you get an agent who wants to investigate. Tax documents (for example) work well - rental agreements a bit less so (as you might not actually live there). Bank statements, etc. work too.

Basically, if the officer asks, you can let him know you filed for renewal on your P/R card. They usually leave you alone after that, as you will get reported for that if you don't meet the days. If he does ask for proof you meet the requirement, hand the tax document (if you have it) showing you were employed and paying taxes in Canada, and that should be more than enough.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Hi :)

Thanks for your advise.

I didn't apply for a new PR Card, and therefore I'm not telling them I did.

My card expired in Dec. 2013, I left in July 2014 and will be back on Nov. 15/2015.

I do have tax papers, MSP papers, a criminal record check I got before I left and more. I actually wrote a list where I wrote down every single day that I spent outside of Canada - funny thing is I did that for myself in case I need to apply for a new PR Card.
Should be fine. I'm not going to leave Canada anytime soon, it's enough.

3 weeks to go -

T-C

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Tri-Cities said:
I didn't apply for a new PR Card, and therefore I'm not telling them I did.
No, I'm sorry - I wasn't suggesting lying. I was suggesting applying for the card before crossing, if possible. It requires a residential address in Canada - if you have your permanent residence address (existing lease, etc.), it's possible to do so.

If you haven't applied, then simply bring the stuff with you. What you describe should be just fine.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Okay thanks!

One more thing.... I went to Germany once after my dad passed and when I came back to Vancouver the officer forgot (obviously) to stamp my passport. Because of having a German Passport the german officer didn't stamp my passport the day of entry (they never did) either.

That means that there is 'one Canadian stamp' kinda missing, and there is no evidence (in my Passport) that I left the country.

I still put that time on my 'out of country list'.

Any concerns here? I mean how would I explain the missing stamp but the fact that I wrote that time on my list.
I don't want to get in trouble, just wanna go home.

T-C

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Tri-Cities said:
Okay thanks!

One more thing.... I went to Germany once after my dad passed and when I came back to Vancouver the officer forgot (obviously) to stamp my passport. Because of having a German Passport the german officer didn't stamp my passport the day of entry (they never did) either.

That means that there is 'one Canadian stamp' kinda missing, and there is no evidence (in my Passport) that I left the country.

I still put that time on my 'out of country list'.

Any concerns here? I mean how would I explain the missing stamp but the fact that I wrote that time on my list.
I don't want to get in trouble, just wanna go home.

T-C
To be honest, they likely won't see on their computer screen either way. If you say you were out of the country, they will likely believe you. If you insist you were in the country when their records say you were out, then they will want proof.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Thanks!

I guess that makes sense ::)

What a weird feeling to walk on tiptoes.

19 days to go - I'm excited to be back home soon!!!

Hellokini

Oct 27, 2015
Did it take Time when you crossed the border I mean Did they pull you out in the office?
Or it was dealt with at the Kiosk?
Thanks

khanwaja

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2008
Doc's Request.
Dec 2008
AOR Received.
Apr 2009
Med's Request
Nov 2009
Med's Done....
Dec 2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2010
LANDED..........
August 2010
kateg said:
Crossed the border today with no PR card.

If you cross at the land border and have an expired or no card, there is a very good chance you will get asked about your status. If you met the residency obligation, they will let you in. It may take them a little bit to figure that out, and anything you bring will help you.

Starting next year, if you don't have the card, you will have to apply for a travel document. If you meet the residency requirements, you will be fine.
Greetings, you said starting next year Travel Document is must? As my PR card will be expiring next year june and 730 days will complete in March 2016 (also including days while sent on oversea's assignment by Canadian Business as I am employed by Canadian Company)... so I have to get Travel document to enter Canada by road? or will be able to enter Canada by road using COPR as PR Renewal process can be lenghty...

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Short update on the issue:

Crossed the border w/o any issues! Explained to the officer the situation and that was that. He told me to not to forget to get a new PR card.
Took me 3 minutes to cross the border.

I don't know about the upcoming changes but we'll see.

cheers!