+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal charges for Failure or refusal to comply with demand

bakshim

May 7, 2012
Hi everyone, my oath taking for citizenship is coming up 13th of April. Unfortunately I was charged with(Impaired Driving) and (Failure or refusal to comply with demand) charges on 20th December 2022, my final hearing is on 5th April. My lawyer told me that crown will only charge me with the (Failure or refusal to comply with demand) charge. I am sure that I will be plead guilty. Iam not sure that I should contact citizenship about this or just take oath. If I plead guilty and I will get $2000 fine, 1 year driving suspension and a criminal record. But I think it's a summary offence so it might not effect my Citizenship oath taking. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, my oath taking for citizenship is coming up 13th of April. Unfortunately I was charged with(Impaired Driving) and (Failure or refusal to comply with demand) charges on 20th December 2022, my final hearing is on 5th April. My lawyer told me that crown will only charge me with the (Failure or refusal to comply with demand) charge. He said he can push the final hearing after my Citizenship oath ceremony. I am sure that I will be plead guilty. Iam not sure that I should contact citizenship about this or just take oath. If I plead guilty and I will get $2000 fine, 1 year driving suspension and a criminal record. But I think it's a summary offence so it might not effect my Citizenship oath taking. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
To the best of my knowledge, you will not be allowed to take the citizenship oath with DUI charges still pending. You can't hide the charges. You must declare this to IRCC. I personally don't see the logic of pushing the final hearing until after the citizenship oath ceremony since this will leave the DUI charge still outstanding.

bakshim

May 7, 2012
To the best of my knowledge, you will not be allowed to take the citizenship oath with DUI charges still pending. You can't hide the charges. You must declare this to IRCC. I personally don't see the logic of pushing the final hearing until after the citizenship oath ceremony since this will leave the DUI charge still outstanding.
Thanks for the reply

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi everyone, my oath taking for citizenship is coming up 13th of April. Unfortunately I was charged with(Impaired Driving) and (Failure or refusal to comply with demand) charges on 20th December 2022, my final hearing is on 5th April. My lawyer told me that crown will only charge me with the (Failure or refusal to comply with demand) charge. He said he can push the final hearing after my Citizenship oath ceremony. I am sure that I will be plead guilty. Iam not sure that I should contact citizenship about this or just take oath. If I plead guilty and I will get $2000 fine, 1 year driving suspension and a criminal record. But I think it's a summary offence so it might not effect my Citizenship oath taking. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
You are in a tough spot. More than your citizenship may be at stake. This could cause you to lose PR status.

If you can afford to also obtain the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer, that would be a good idea. Sooner rather than later. I will offer some further observations, but an immigration lawyer would be a far better source to help you navigate your way from here. To be clear, I will offer what I can, but what I say is subject to what an immigration lawyer would advise.

As @scylla commented, there does not appear to be any logic in pushing the court case until after the scheduled oath ceremony, which you would be well advised to NOT go through with even if IRCC does not cancel it. Lawyers handling criminal matters are often not well informed about collateral consequences for non-citizens under Canada's immigration laws. This is not to suggest the lawyer handling the criminal matter is not doing the best that can be done for you in the criminal case. But if a conviction for failure to comply is the best outcome to be had, you are prohibited from being granted citizenship (and will be for four more years) and your PR status might be at risk.

Note, the pending DWI charge alone means you are currently prohibited from being granted citizenship and you were obligated to inform IRCC about this timely. A failure to do so is misrepresentation by omission. Odds are very high IRCC will see the charges attendant a final GCMS screening before you actually take the oath, and thus cancel the oath, BUT even if they don't this is not something to gamble with. This is the sort of thing that IRCC will proceed to revoke citizenship for if you hide it from them and manage to take the oath without them knowing.

It will be hard to swallow, I'm guessing, but you best forget about getting citizenship for awhile. At least four more years.

Saving your PR status is probably your priority for now. If a life in Canada is your priority.

SOME HINDSIGHT (wish we had it eh): beyond the obvious (not getting into the situation resulting in the charges), the most prudent course of action following the arrest might have been to immediately submit a request to withdraw the citizenship application. Probably a little late for that now. I do not know. If you can get into to see an immigration lawyer very soon, this is one aspect in particular you will want to consult with the lawyer about.

The reason I bring this up is that if you are convicted of a hybrid offence which could have been prosecuted as an indictable offence punishable by ten years imprisonment (which DWI is and which a Section 320.15(1) Criminal Code Failure to Comply offence is as well), even if the conviction is for a summary offence and there is no jail time, under Canadian immigration law that meets the definition of serious criminality and makes a PR inadmissible. (Under IRPA, hybrid offences are considered indictable offences, even if prosecuted as a summary offence.)

Make no mistake, if the failure to comply with a demand offence is based on Section 320.15 in the Criminal Code, which appears likely (as it appears to arise in connection with the incident giving rise to the DWI charge), this is an offence with potentially serious consequences for a Permanent Resident. Again, it is NOT just your citizenship which is at risk. Since this is a hybrid offence that could be, potentially, prosecuted as an indictable offence punishable by up to ten years imprisonment, a conviction for this offence means you are inadmissible.

This is not self-executing. Either IRCC or CBSA could initiate inadmissibility proceedings based on such a charge. I do not know, not at all, to what extent IRCC or CBSA pursues inadmissibility proceedings based on these kinds of charges resulting in relatively moderate punishment (fines, probation) pursuant to a conviction as a summary offence. Sometimes they do for sure. And that results in the loss of PR status. This really is talk-to-immigration-lawyer stuff.

Leading back to maybe withdraw the citizenship application . . .

At the risk of getting out over my skis a bit, getting deeper into best to discuss these things with a lawyer terrain, the reason I bring up the question about withdrawing the citizenship application is that with the citizenship application still pending:
(1) you have an obligation to notify IRCC of these charges, and failing to do that is far more serious than failing to notify IRCC of a change in address, and not only would be grounds for the revocation of your citizenship but is among matters which do in fact trigger revocation proceedings, and​
(2) it is highly probable that IRCC will conduct a final GCMS screening before the oath, anyway, which includes a routine name-record criminal history check which will almost certainly reveal the charges​

Note: if the lawyer who says they can push the criminal case past the scheduled oath hearing suggests trying to slide by that way, well, I am not sure what to say, except that sounds a little like the friend who says you haven't had that much to drink, you'll be OK driving home after having just a little over the limit. Except the odds of getting-away with not notifying IRCC of these charges are not nearly as good as the odds of making it home after a drink or two too many. And I suspect you have some insight into how the latter might turn out.

The question, which seems to be a question worth asking in your situation, is whether withdrawing the citizenship application will mean IRCC does not do a background screening for prohibitions, and whether that might mean IRCC does not do anything that would trigger inadmissibility proceedings for serious criminality.

Generally a PR has no obligation to notify immigration authorities they have been charged or convicted of a crime. If you had no citizenship application in progress, you would not have been obligated to notify IRCC of the charges.

I do not know, but it is my impression that if you have no citizenship application in process, neither IRCC nor CBSA would go looking for your criminal record, that the odds would be good that despite the mistakes made leading to this unfortunate situation, you could pay a fine, maybe do some probation, lose your driving privileges for awhile, but as long as you got back on track and did not stray over that line again your life in Canada would go on as before. And then, four years after the court proceedings are final, when the charges and conviction were all FOUR years past, you would again be eligible for citizenship and could start that process over, no prohibitions, not much likelihood IRCC or CBSA would reach back to pursue inadmissibility proceedings based on these kinds of charges four plus years ago (this latter part is something I am less confident about and something to discuss with a lawyer in strict confidence).

Nonetheless, the KEY Take-Aways:

For citizenship application: the charges themselves constitute a prohibition, which you are obligated to notify IRCC about. You are NO longer eligible to be granted citizenship.​
You are likely facing a conviction for a hybrid offence that meets the definition of serious criminality and could lead to a determination of inadmissibility and the loss of PR status, so exercising caution in how you proceed, and getting the advice of not just a criminal lawyer but an immigration lawyer as well, would be a good idea.​

yeasir1987

Aug 30, 2018
Nonetheless, the KEY Take-Aways:

For citizenship application: the charges themselves constitute a prohibition, which you are obligated to notify IRCC about. You are NO longer eligible to be granted citizenship.​
Hi there,

You have mentioned here that the charges themselves make it prohibition. Does a hybrid offence prosecuted as a summary charge make it a prohibition in the citizenship application?
With a summary charge of this kind he should be able to give an oath for citizenship, right?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You have mentioned here that the charges themselves make it prohibition. Does a hybrid offence prosecuted as a summary charge make it a prohibition in the citizenship application?
With a summary charge of this kind he should be able to give an oath for citizenship, right?
Unless the Crown has made an election to proceed with a summary charge, being charged with a hybrid offence constitutes a prohibition.

It is almost certain that if there is a summary conviction, that conviction in itself does not constitute a prohibition. Remember, however, if probation is imposed, that constitutes a prohibition for as long as the individual is on probation. And if it is a summary conviction for a hybrid offence for which the punishment can be ten years imprisonment or more, when prosecuted by indictment, that meets the definition of inadmissible for serious criminality.

Less certain, but as best we know, as observed in the other discussions, when the Crown has made an official election to proceed with a summary offence (this will be a matter of record in the court case) that means the charge itself, while still pending, does not constitute a prohibition.

By the way, at the risk of getting out over my skis so to say (I know rather little about formal criminal procedures in the Canadian justice system, let alone how it goes in actual practice), I think that this election is effected by the filing of a formal "information," which is the formal charging document for a summary offence; it is quite possible that the decision to proceed on a summary charge is informally, unofficially made, known, and understood by the parties (Crown and defendant, or at least the defendant's lawyer), well before a formal information is filed. Which means the charge will continue to constitute a prohibition during that period of time. . . which again, illustrates the importance of having a good lawyer involved, and a lawyer who understands the implications for immigration and citizenship.

I do not recall what details in the OP's situation, or other information, prompted me to comment that the charges referenced in the above discussion constituted a prohibition (noting that I often peruse other posts, discussions, and sources, doing some homework, before posting a response). That said, revisiting that discussion it appears I may have made a mistake, or at the least was not clear. As usual, I have excuses. Among my excuses, as illustrated by how often I refer to what I do not know in our other discussion, and how emphatically I repeat this is Lawyer-UP stuff, meaning Lawyer-Up in regards to BOTH the criminal AND immigration aspects, is I am trying to balance what I (and participants in the forum generally) do not know, with sharing as much as we can about what is known, recognizing the seriousness of these charges (even if ultimately the penalties imposed in the criminal case are not all that severe) and the imperative to deal with the situation straight-up.

As I have said often, my admonitions to Lawyer-Up are not a dodge; this really is not amateur-hour stuff, and make no mistake, I am an amateur. Obviously, I think it is worth discussing at length, since I do, but again this is an effort to share as much about what is known as we can while recognizing there is much that is not known, recognizing the seriousness of such charges and the potential consequences for non-citizens in Canada.

Another by the way, the observations in that previous post are among those I alluded to, without remembering them specifically, in the other discussions in which I said my "vague" recollection was I had recognized, subsequent to the 2019 discussion you initially referenced, that a summary DUI conviction was an offence constituting serious criminality. You have clearly seen enough posting over a period of years, now, to see how the discussion has evolved, how my understanding has advanced over the years, and continues to advance (the discussion this last several days has definitely helped me better understand various aspects of this).

But the other important, very important thing that the course of these discussions should readily reveal, is how much can vary from case-to-case, from one individual to another. And that this is another reason, a very big reason why the assistance of a lawyer is so imperative. The nuances and tangents are many and potentially quite complicated. Even in a carefully done lengthy post some aspect of an individual's situation is likely to be missed, overlooked, or underestimated, let alone the potential variations for others in similar but almost never the precisely same situation.

The OP's case here involves at least two pending charges for which the potential punishment is ten years imprisonment if prosecuted by indictment; meanwhile, at best the OP indicated thinking it would be a summary offence (and given the multiple offences, particularly the seriousness of evasion or failure to comply charge, it was likely the OP still had indictable offences pending and that a plea to a summary offence was the product of plea bargaining). The OP had clearly NOT informed IRCC about being charged, even though obviously the charges had been pending for months, even though signing the application included a verification that the applicant would notify IRCC if there was any change in the information provided, and of course information about a criminal charge for an indictable offence is absolutely material (noting an arrest for a hybrid offence is indictable, even if one expects the Crown to elect to proceed with a summary charge, at least until the Crown has made that formal election).

I believe, and very much hope, these discussions can elevate what we understand in a way that will help those affected, but it needs to be absolutely clear this is NO substitute for obtaining the advice and representation of competent legal counsel. Fortunately I have not needed the assistance of a lawyer more than a few times in my life, but it was very obvious that the better informed I was when I did, the better it was overall, the more I was able to provide the lawyer with the information that mattered, the better I was able to understand the lawyer's advice and follow it.

TOM@@@@@

Nov 22, 2023
@legalfalcon @scylla @dpenabill i am in removal proceedings in the US, short story i used to live in the US as a permanent resident, when i moved to Canada and obtain Canadian permanent residency , the US CBP stated that i have abandon my US residency status and put me in removal which is true because i have opted to live Canada. will that removal have any impact on my citizenship in Canada? i dont have any criminal record whatsover.
thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
i am in removal proceedings in the US, short story i used to live in the US as a permanent resident, when i moved to Canada and obtain Canadian permanent residency , the US CBP stated that i have abandon my US residency status and put me in removal which is true because i have opted to live Canada. will that removal have any impact on my citizenship in Canada? i dont have any criminal record whatsover.
No, no direct problem.

With the caveat I do not know much about how things work in the U.S., in regards to immigration matters and status . . . immigration status in the U.S. should NOT have any direct impact on a Canadian PR's eligibility for citizenship.

More generally: Whether the underlying grounds for action taken by immigration authorities in another country can have an impact in Canadian immigration, including an application for citizenship, depends on the factual and substantive character of those grounds, based on the underlying actions involved. Obvious examples would be criminal or security related matters. So, if there are no criminality or security issues, the proceedings in another country in regards to immigration status should have no direct impact.

Note: I notice that you applied relying on pre-PR credit with a rather small margin over the minimum physical presence requirement. Hard to say to what extent this could contribute to a total stranger bureaucrat taking a closer, harder look; but if so, the underlying factual circumstances in your immigration history can be examined in some detail, and that could include U.S. information, such as dates of entry and maybe exit. That would be looking at just the facts, not the effect on status in the U.S.

TOM@@@@@

Nov 22, 2023
No, no direct problem.

With the caveat I do not know much about how things work in the U.S., in regards to immigration matters and status . . . immigration status in the U.S. should NOT have any direct impact on a Canadian PR's eligibility for citizenship.

More generally: Whether the underlying grounds for action taken by immigration authorities in another country can have an impact in Canadian immigration, including an application for citizenship, depends on the factual and substantive character of those grounds, based on the underlying actions involved. Obvious examples would be criminal or security related matters. So, if there are no criminality or security issues, the proceedings in another country in regards to immigration status should have no direct impact.

Note: I notice that you applied relying on pre-PR credit with a rather small margin over the minimum physical presence requirement. Hard to say to what extent this could contribute to a total stranger bureaucrat taking a closer, harder look; but if so, the underlying factual circumstances in your immigration history can be examined in some detail, and that could include U.S. information, such as dates of entry and maybe exit. That would be looking at just the facts, not the effect on status in the U.S.
Thankyou @dpenabill