Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
I hate how much anxiety seems to creep out of nowhere during this process. I'm trying not to let it bother me, because it's not going to change the outcome, and I don't know what will happen so I could be worrying for nothing.. but anyway

I got denied for Nexus b/c I went to court once. I was never arrested, but since I was fingerprinted they said I was technically arrested. Lol. Even though the charges were dropped.

It was for a DUI that ended up being completely "dismissed without prejudice". I had my FBI record updated to show that the DUI was, in fact, dismissed last year. I've been able to travel freely to and from Canada, even when I was on "probation" or what we call, Diversion, for it (after two border guards argued about whether or not to let me in!). But I can't help but worry that it's going to effect my application.

Has anyone gotten approved for PR with a charge that was dismissed? In my mind, if you were never charged with a crime, you were never charged with a crime. I never plead guilty or anything, it was all taken care of before my court date so they dropped the whole thing. I hope the officer who reviews our file will see reason, but.. I could use some reassurance that, someone, has been approved with a dismissal! Lol.

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
I did some digging.. This is from the CIC News website.

"Non-Convictions For the purposes of Canadian immigration, some sentences, such as conditional discharges and dismissed charges, are not considered convictions. Sentencing can vary by country and state, so each case needs to be examined on its own merits. - See more at: http://www.cicnews.com/2011/04/criminal-inadmissibility-enter-canada-04841.html#sthash.TryeNJs9.dpuf"

YAY! I also found this!

"If you have been acquitted of an offense at trial or at an appeal court, you are admissible and can enter Canada.

Different countries have different ways of disposing with a criminal matter that may look like a pardon or acquittal. Here is how CIC deals with these more unusual matters:

Criminal processes that are NOT considered to be convictions by CIC:

Acquittal contemplating dismissal
Deferral of prosecution
Deferral of judgment
Deferral of conviction
Nolle prosequi
Expunged

Criminal processes that are considered to be convictions by CIC

Deferral of sentence
Suspended sentence
Nolo contendre
Convicted
There are other ways that foreign courts can deal with criminal matters. In each case, the key is to determine how it would be considered equivalent in Canada."

I believe this is how I was able to enter Canada the first time, during my diversion. Technically, it was deferral of prosecution, or deferral of judgement. And since I completed the agreed terms, it was then dismissed.

Taking a deep breath now:) Hopefully this will help someone in the same boat, someday, on this forum! It sure cleared things up for me, in regards to Criminal admissibility.

Thanks for letting me monologue on this post, haha.

spaceexp

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna-->Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
received by CIC 12-03-2014
AOR Received.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-05-2014
Med's Done....
03-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-11-2014 (IP 18-11-2014, mailed 03-12-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
30-12-2014 , then again 13-02-2015 (DM 03-01-2015, PP&CoPR received 06-01-2015, returned to Ottawa because of a mistake, received again on 16-02-2015)
LANDED..........
16-02-2015
Amalthea said:
I did some digging.. This is from the CIC News website.

"Non-Convictions For the purposes of Canadian immigration, some sentences, such as conditional discharges and dismissed charges, are not considered convictions. Sentencing can vary by country and state, so each case needs to be examined on its own merits. - See more at: http://www.cicnews.com/2011/04/criminal-inadmissibility-enter-canada-04841.html#sthash.TryeNJs9.dpuf"

YAY! I also found this!

"If you have been acquitted of an offense at trial or at an appeal court, you are admissible and can enter Canada.

Different countries have different ways of disposing with a criminal matter that may look like a pardon or acquittal. Here is how CIC deals with these more unusual matters:

Criminal processes that are NOT considered to be convictions by CIC:

Acquittal contemplating dismissal
Deferral of prosecution
Deferral of judgment
Deferral of conviction
Nolle prosequi
Expunged

Criminal processes that are considered to be convictions by CIC

Deferral of sentence
Suspended sentence
Nolo contendre
Convicted
There are other ways that foreign courts can deal with criminal matters. In each case, the key is to determine how it would be considered equivalent in Canada."

I believe this is how I was able to enter Canada the first time, during my diversion. Technically, it was deferral of prosecution, or deferral of judgement. And since I completed the agreed terms, it was then dismissed.

Taking a deep breath now:) Hopefully this will help someone in the same boat, someday, on this forum! It sure cleared things up for me, in regards to Criminal admissibility.

Thanks for letting me monologue on this post, haha.
If I were you, I would print that from the CIC web site, and brought it with me every time I travel, just in case. CBSA officer don't know it all, and sometimes if they are not sure they go for there strict option...

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Thank you for that! I usually keep my "dismissal" with me:) It has saved me so much grief!

Icy Empress

Oct 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
Doc's Request.
3-15-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
Hiya all,

We got decision made on March 31st. I was under the understanding that we would receive the COPR by mail. Is it usual for it to take this long? My husband lives in Michigan and our VO is Ottawa. I see that Beshoo received his in and around April 7th and we were accepted the same day.

Would appreciate any help :) I had planned my vacation to pick him up April 23rd, but only 3 mailing days left before then :eek:

KarlR

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Icy Empress said:
Hiya all,

We got decision made on March 31st. I was under the understanding that we would receive the COPR by mail. Is it usual for it to take this long? My husband lives in Michigan and our VO is Ottawa. I see that Beshoo received his in and around April 7th and we were accepted the same day.

Would appreciate any help :) I had planned my vacation to pick him up April 23rd, but only 3 mailing days left before then :eek:

You should call them and confirm that it has been put in the mail maybe?seems like you should have got it by now.

Icy Empress

Oct 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
Doc's Request.
3-15-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
Thanks Karl! um this number you speak of do you know where I can find it? I've only ever mailed them :$

KarlR

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Icy Empress said:
Thanks Karl! um this number you speak of do you know where I can find it? I've only ever mailed them :$

1-888-242-2100

Can be a pain to get through to someone sometimes.think it's just the CIC call centre,but they might be able to tell you if it's gone out in the mail yet or not.

Icy Empress

Oct 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
Doc's Request.
3-15-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
ah thanks so much! We'll give that a try Monday :) who knows maybe it'll arrive before the need to call ;)

ascouple

Jul 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2014
AOR Received.
02-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 04-29-2015
LANDED..........
03-05-2015
Anyone ever had a struggle with changing their address?

We changed our address 2 weeks prior to moving on ECAS. During the process it asked if I wanted to change the address of anyone else in the application. I entered my common law wife's name.

Almost a month later, the address still hasn't changed on ECAS. I called the CIC call centre Wednesday and the agent told me my address has changed in their system. She then checked "for every place that my address could be" and made sure everything was updated. Then she told me my wife would have to call in separately.

Wife called, the agent tells her that he couldn't change her address over the phone because she was being sponsored. She needs to either change her address online or send Ottawa an email, he said. So she changed her address online.

Right now our addresses are STILL not changed on ECAS a month after we had initially requested it and followed up. It's getting frustrating... Based on the spreadsheets it looks like our application should be getting processed in the next month hopefully. I don't want any correspondence going to the wrong address. We've purchased mail forwarding from Canada Post but they tell me that they will not forward mail from certain government agencies, including CIC.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
ascouple said:
Anyone ever had a struggle with changing their address?

We changed our address 2 weeks prior to moving on ECAS. During the process it asked if I wanted to change the address of anyone else in the application. I entered my common law wife's name.

Almost a month later, the address still hasn't changed on ECAS. I called the CIC call centre Wednesday and the agent told me my address has changed in their system. She then checked "for every place that my address could be" and made sure everything was updated. Then she told me my wife would have to call in separately.

Wife called, the agent tells her that he couldn't change her address over the phone because she was being sponsored. She needs to either change her address online or send Ottawa an email, he said. So she changed her address online.

Right now our addresses are STILL not changed on ECAS a month after we had initially requested it and followed up. It's getting frustrating... Based on the spreadsheets it looks like our application should be getting processed in the next month hopefully. I don't want any correspondence going to the wrong address. We've purchased mail forwarding from Canada Post but they tell me that they will not forward mail from certain government agencies, including CIC.
I am the person being sponsored. I emailed Ottawa VO with all my information and address change. They answered me back in 7 days saying it was being changed. It showed up changed in ECAS the next week.

melgolchuk

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ontario, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2014
Doc's Request.
18-06-2015
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
Med's Done....
15-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Mariac819 said:
I am the person being sponsored. I emailed Ottawa VO with all my information and address change. They answered me back in 7 days saying it was being changed. It showed up changed in ECAS the next week.

I need to change my address as well. (I'm being sponsored) What in all should I include in my email? The dates they received everything or just my personal info? Thanjs

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
melgolchuk said:
I need to change my address as well. (I'm being sponsored) What in all should I include in my email? The dates they received everything or just my personal info? Thanjs
You should at least wait until you receive SA. Just because it is easier and you will have UCI and Application numbers.

You should include EVERYTHING possible that they can use to identify your application.

I included

Type of Application

Name of Sponsor
DOB of Sponsor
UCI #
SA Date
Application File Date

Name of Principal applicant
DOB of Principal applicant
Application #
Country of citizenship

In the link below I copied and pasted the automatic email they send back when you email Ottawa. In it they mention what should be included when you correspond with them.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/july-2014-outland-applications-t229065.0.html;msg4154383#msg4154383

Icy Empress

Oct 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
Doc's Request.
3-15-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
KarlR said:
1-888-242-2100

Can be a pain to get through to someone sometimes.think it's just the CIC call centre,but they might be able to tell you if it's gone out in the mail yet or not.
Thanks again :) they informed us it was sent off the 16th so we should receive within a week or so.

AmericanGirlinLove

Dec 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
Doc's Request.
22-08-2014
AOR Received.
22-05-2014
File Transfer...
03-06-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-04-2015
LANDED..........
27-04-2015
Icy Empress said:
Thanks again :) they informed us it was sent off the 16th so we should receive within a week or so.
Do you mind me asking what you said when you called? Did you mention ECAS at all or just a general inquiry?