waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
LT1013 said:
Thanks for your feedback. Do you know why if the pace takes 3-4 months for a complete package, they post on their website as 16?
The 3-4 months fast track timeline is for applicants who are US citizens that submit a complete application with no "red flags". Remember that Ottawa does not just handle applicants from the US. Also note that not all applicants from the US are US citizens. They can be green card holders or people who have been working in the US with a work visa. Those people are not fast tracked as easily. And finally, that 16 months listed on the web page is an "average" for a majority of all applicants (I think like 80%). So the applications that have many red flags and requires interviews can take a long time and skew the average time up, just like the fast tracked American with a solid complete case would push the average time down.

dozel

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa --> LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-30-2013
AOR Received.
June-03-2013
Med's Done....
March-26-2013
Interview........
August-12-2014 (passed)
Passport Req..
September-24-2014
VISA ISSUED...
October-03-2014
keesio said:
The 3-4 months fast track timeline is for applicants who are US citizens that submit a complete application with no "red flags". Remember that Ottawa does not just handle applicants from the US. Also note that not all applicants from the US are US citizens. They can be green card holders or people who have been working in the US with a work visa. Those people are not fast tracked as easily. And finally, that 16 months listed on the web page is an "average" for a majority of all applicants (I think like 80%). So the applications that have many red flags and requires interviews can take a long time and skew the average time up, just like the fast tracked American with a solid complete case would push the average time down.
Like me.

oconnoec

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Medical
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
July 16, 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
April 13, 2014
LANDED..........
Already in canada on temp work visa... hopefully PR landing soon!
ckizaks said:
There doesn't seem to be too many visas issued in August/September for Ottawa applications. I was looking at the spreadsheet and I don't see too much action in the last 6 weeks, so I'm hopeful that there's a bunch coming! At least this is what I'm telling myself today :)
I was worried about this, too! I am an American and my husband is Canadian and we submitted our spousal PR app on August 13, 2014 and my husband was approved as a sponsor on September 19, 2014! Only 37 days from when we submitted it.. much faster than the online processing times say right now (55 days was the most recent update to sponsor approval). He got the letter in the mail today (Sept 30, 2014), but he never got the e-mail that approved him on Sept 19th. So, if you are waiting still, it's probably coming faster than you think!

ckizaks

Star Member
Aug 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2014
Doc's Request.
29-10-2014
AOR Received.
31-07-2014
File Transfer...
SA 05-08-2014
Med's Request
Up front
Med's Done....
08-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting DM 01-06-2015
LANDED..........
Waiting
oconnoec said:
I was worried about this, too! I am an American and my husband is Canadian and we submitted our spousal PR app on August 13, 2014 and my husband was approved as a sponsor on September 19, 2014! Only 37 days from when we submitted it.. much faster than the online processing times say right now (55 days was the most recent update to sponsor approval). He got the letter in the mail today (Sept 30, 2014), but he never got the e-mail that approved him on Sept 19th. So, if you are waiting still, it's probably coming faster than you think!
My husband is American. We got the SA approval for me in about 56 days (June 10 - Aug 5). I thought our application was pretty clean and was hoping he would be approved for PR soon...but beginning to think the processing times may have slowed down again at the Ottawa office. All we can do is wait...patiently... :'(

LT1013

Star Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2015
LANDED..........
27-11-2015
I appreciate the input everyone :)

I always was just under the assumption that applications were processed on like a first in, first out order, as that's the way CIC seems to make it present; especially on some pages where they state "Starting working on applications since..." it's a bit deceiving.

I was expecting it to take a full year and a few months from application submission time. I do have a few fallback options if something bad were to happen. My permanent employer would more than likely file for an LMO for my position (NOC level A, so I wouldn't have to worry about the time-limit on work visas) , or I could apply under Canadian Experience class or the new Express Entry.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
LT1013 said:
I appreciate the input everyone :)

I always was just under the assumption that applications were processed on like a first in, first out order, as that's the way CIC seems to make it present; especially on some pages where they state "Starting working on applications since..." it's a bit deceiving.
Well it is... sort of... I mean there is a queue of applications in order of received. But when a case officer takes the next application and starts working on it, if that application gets to the point of where it is pending on something else (like an interview is needed, or some document is missing, or they are waiting for a result of a security/background check), they will put it aside and take the next application in the queue. And it is quite possible that the next application will require minimum wait and breeze through while the other application is still waiting. They aren't going to stop the whole line waiting for that one older application to get through,

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
keesio said:
Well it is... sort of... I mean there is a queue of applications in order of received. But when a case officer takes the next application and starts working on it, if that application gets to the point of where it is pending on something else (like an interview is needed, or some document is missing, or they are waiting for a result of a security/background check), they will put it aside and take the next application in the queue. And it is quite possible that the next application will require minimum wait and breeze through while the other application is still waiting. They aren't going to stop the whole line waiting for that one older application to get through,
Makes total sense and seems only fair for everyone involved and waiting. I'd hate to see 1000 people waiting because 1 person needs an interview lol

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
keesio said:
The figured on the CIC website are to complete 80% of applications (from data as of March 31, 2014). The data set is updated quarterly and you can obtain the detailed data directory from the open data website (which links back to the CIC site for the data set): http://www.cic.gc.ca/opendata-donneesouvertes/data/000001-eng.xls

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
keesio said:
Ahhhh! Great explanation TY

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
ckizaks said:
My husband is American. We got the SA approval for me in about 56 days (June 10 - Aug 5). I thought our application was pretty clean and was hoping he would be approved for PR soon...but beginning to think the processing times may have slowed down again at the Ottawa office. All we can do is wait...patiently... :'(
you submitted your application the beginning of june. it is only the beginning of october. considering SA is posted as 55 days, you are not out of normal processing time. So that means the VO has had your application for 1 or 2 months! people who applied the week before you JUST got approved. the applications are processed by batch by date, so either you are at the end of that batch, or the beginning of the next. i am not sure it is necessary to assume anything about anything at this point. quite honestly, your timeline doesn't cause concern. obsessing about NOT hearing anything and how long the wait is isn't going to make the time tick faster.

ckizaks

Star Member
Aug 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2014
Doc's Request.
29-10-2014
AOR Received.
31-07-2014
File Transfer...
SA 05-08-2014
Med's Request
Up front
Med's Done....
08-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting DM 01-06-2015
LANDED..........
Waiting
rhcohen2014 said:
you submitted your application the beginning of june. it is only the beginning of october. considering SA is posted as 55 days, you are not out of normal processing time. So that means the VO has had your application for 1 or 2 months! people who applied the week before you JUST got approved. the applications are processed by batch by date, so either you are at the end of that batch, or the beginning of the next. i am not sure it is necessary to assume anything about anything at this point. quite honestly, your timeline doesn't cause concern. obsessing about NOT hearing anything and how long the wait is isn't going to make the time tick faster.
Actually we originally sent in our application on April 7, forgot the Option C, resubmitted it, went back to the beginning of the pile and now we're at today. We're not obsessing...just waiting. Whatever you say, life to a certain extent is in limbo as we all have plans we are waiting on approval for so we can proceed. So I wouldn't call it obsessing... More like anxious. I don't call or email CIC, I just like to check this forum...to see if any of my June buddies are getting approved. :)

A1482

Aug 12, 2014
ckizaks said:
Actually we originally sent in our application on April 7, forgot the Option C, resubmitted it, went back to the beginning of the pile and now we're at today. We're not obsessing...just waiting. Whatever you say, life to a certain extent is in limbo as we all have plans we are waiting on approval for so we can proceed. So I wouldn't call it obsessing... More like anxious. I don't call or email CIC, I just like to check this forum...to see if any of my June buddies are getting approved. :)
i submitted my app. end of may and paid my starting of august, even i am waiting... even i am like you only checking cic 10 times a day... rhcohen i think is right and looks like has quite the knowledge alsoo ;D

kneekick

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/17/2014
Doc's Request.
07/09/2014 (marriage cert./rprf)
AOR Received.
03/26/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
02/04/2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
10/28/2014
Just an update:

Finally I have a DECISION MADE! It didn't even go to "In Process" first. Also, we never got a PPR. Is this all normal? Should I be concerned? Also, anyone know how long it usually takes for the letters to arrive once it goes to DM?

We received your application for permanent residence on February 26, 2014.

We started processing your application on September 29, 2014.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
kneekick said:
Just an update:

Finally I have a DECISION MADE! It didn't even go to "In Process" first. Also, we never got a PPR. Is this all normal? Should I be concerned? Also, anyone know how long it usually takes for the letters to arrive once it goes to DM?
Congrats! no ppr is normal for ottawa. generally it means it's unlikely you'll change your name (or already have) or your passport has more than 6 mo. validity left on it. it took 5 days for my papers to arrive in CT. it's mailed by regular canada post, so it depends where it is getting mailed to.

kneekick

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/17/2014
Doc's Request.
07/09/2014 (marriage cert./rprf)
AOR Received.
03/26/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
02/04/2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
10/28/2014
Thank you rhcohen! I have a feeling it'll get sent to my lawyer's office based in Toronto, so I'll alert them and let them know to keep an eye out. :) Hopefully we get news by sometime next week then.