+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CPC-Ottawa guidance needed

A1482

Aug 12, 2014
Hello all,
I was student in Canada, but I had to discontinue my studies after getting married here in Canada.
My husband sponsered me for PR and our case was sent from CPC mississauga for first evaluation to CPC ottawa for second step . Now my husband is approved as a sponsor and we have got our UCI no. But when i applied for work permit it was rejected saying that you can only apply for it if the case is applied inside canada :'( :'(. Now it is written that the processing time for ottawa office is 15 months and my visa will expire in 12 months.

Now will it be wise to pull my case out and apply again for inside canada or should i continue to stick with it as i am half way through.

Can anyone tell me whats the approx. time when the case is forwarded to CPC ottawa ,if it really takes 15 months is there any way i can extend my visa?

Please reply on my situation as i am very confused right now .

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Why did you have to discontinue your studies after getting married? What is your current status in Canada?

DO NOT withdraw your current application and submit an inland app. The inland work permit is only given after first stage approval, which is currently taking 12 months, so it would be OVER A YEAR before you would even get it. Your outland app will most likely be done by then.

The posted processing time of 15 months is not an average; it's how long it took to process 80% of apps. I believe the average is closer to around 10 months. If you still haven't been approved when your current status is about to expire, you can simply submit an extension app to stay longer.

I suggest you join the Ottawa thread to get a better idea of current processing times http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cppottawa-t118769.5625.html

A1482

Aug 12, 2014
That was very big help. Thank you for sparing your time. I will follow that thread too.
And the reason i had to leave my studies was to live with my husband and where he lives is a really small town and not much in here.
Can you please guide me is there any way i can apply for work and what will be the way to extend my visa as there is no valid reason and that i being on student permit not continuing my studies . Can this thing affect my case in any way ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The only way you can work is if you find an employer willing to go through the LMIA/work permit process to hire you. This would be completely separate from your PR app.

If you are no longer studying, then you are violating the terms of your permit. I suggest you change the conditions of your stay to visitor to avoid any problems. Staying with your spouse while your PR app is processing is a perfectly valid reason.

A1482

Aug 12, 2014
As i dont have much of the knowledge about these processes.I have heard that on a visitor visa you cannot stay here on a stretch long enough and if i have togo to my home country i can be stopped at the immigration while trying to enter canada

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
DO NOT APPLY INLAND! Current ottawa applications that are straightforward with no issues, are getting approved in 4-8 months. When did you send in your application? If you switch to inland, you are looking at LEAST 12 months until an open work permit is approved. In that time as an outland applicant, you could be a PR way before that time. The processing tims posted online are NOT accurate for today's processing. When did you send in your application? Right now, it's important to remain patient. Outland in ottawa will go quicker than you expect, assuming there are no issues with your application.

Outland applicants can stay in canada as a VISITOR during the length of the process. The applicant will need to extend their stay and ask for a 12 month extension. These extension for a PR applicant are rarely denied. IF you are no longer a student, then you need to switch your status to visitor, show proof of your application (SA letter, receipts for payment) and request a 12 month extension as a visitor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A1482 said:
That was very big help. Thank you for sparing your time. I will follow that thread too.
And the reason i had to leave my studies was to live with my husband and where he lives is a really small town and not much in here.
Can you please guide me is there any way i can apply for work and what will be the way to extend my visa as there is no valid reason and that i being on student permit not continuing my studies . Can this thing affect my case in any way ?
Depending on when you stopped studying, it's quite possible you are now in Canada without status and it's too late to try to restore your status. If that's the case, then applying for a work permit isn't an option (even if you find an employer). If you want to restore your status, your only option is to leave Canada and return later. But again, difficult to say without knowing when you dropped your studies and what your current status is in Canada.

A1482

Aug 12, 2014
Thank You everyone for your replies. Just got an e-mail to pay my RPRF from Ottawa office. Can anything be determined on these basis to get passport request?

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that they request the RPRF when they're nearly done with the process. If you didn't get an interview or any additional requests, it probably means that you were approved. When did you apply?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
lellen said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that they request the RPRF when they're nearly done with the process. If you didn't get an interview or any additional requests, it probably means that you were approved. When did you apply?
yes, this is true. i believe the RPRF is requested after the file has been approved for approval, and they can't "officially" make a decision until the fee is paid. I believe this is the fee needed to issue the visa. Generally, if they are asking for this fee, you can expect a positive decision soon after. If an interview is necessary, I don't think they ask this fee to be paid until a determination is made on the file.