+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID-19 and stuck outside Canada

OHiluvCANADA

Star Member
Jun 27, 2017
Category........
CEC
Hi,
My PGWP is expiring this month and I am stuck outside Canada due to COVID-19. Though I have COPR which was approved before 18 March 2020 but due to travel restrictions I can not land. I am working remotely for my Canadian employer but if I am unable to land before expiry of my PGWP and unable to complete PR landing then I will loose my status as well as job. Having approved COPR and already working for Canadian employer since last 3 years and contributing to Canadian economy and still if I loose my status and job then it will be very unfair as this is not in my control.
So, if anyone can provide me solution for my situation then it will be a great help. Thanks !

PS: Can not apply to BOWP as I am not in Canada and dont want to go through Employer specific work-permit as my employer is in Quebec and I applied through Express entry so don't want to get into Quebec and EE mess up.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So assume you have sent in a web form to register fact that you currently not able to travel. Also maybe in submitting that web form you highlight the fact that your PGWP status expires before you are able to land with your COPR.

Others can comment but maybe a temporary alternative would be to be an offshore employee working from home country in which case as you are not working on Canadian soil so technically a work permit not required to work remotely from outside of Canada. I am no expert how or if this would work if paid still in Canada, that might be an issue but worth a consideration.

Easy to over complicate things but first priority would be web form to register inability to travel

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
My PGWP is expiring this month and I am stuck outside Canada due to COVID-19. Though I have COPR which was approved before 18 March 2020 but due to travel restrictions I can not land. I am working remotely for my Canadian employer but if I am unable to land before expiry of my PGWP and unable to complete PR landing then I will loose my status as well as job. Having approved COPR and already working for Canadian employer since last 3 years and contributing to Canadian economy and still if I loose my status and job then it will be very unfair as this is not in my control.
So, if anyone can provide me solution for my situation then it will be a great help. Thanks !

PS: Can not apply to BOWP as I am not in Canada and dont want to go through Employer specific work-permit as my employer is in Quebec and I applied through Express entry so don't want to get into Quebec and EE mess up.
You're over-complicating things. Simply submit a request to extend the expiry date on your COPR.

OHiluvCANADA

Star Member
Jun 27, 2017
Category........
CEC
You're over-complicating things. Simply submit a request to extend the expiry date on your COPR.
My COPR is valid till 04 September 2020 and I am sure I will be to travel before that but the issue is my PGWP is expiring on 05 July 2020. I want to maintain my status and continue to work for Canadian employer before landing and completing PR formalities. So, how can I achieve this? Continue working remotely after expiry of PGWP till I land.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My COPR is valid till 04 September 2020 and I am sure I will be to travel before that but the issue is my PGWP is expiring on 05 July 2020. I want to maintain my status and continue to work for Canadian employer before landing and completing PR formalities. So, how can I achieve this? Continue working remotely after expiry of PGWP till I land.
You don't need to have a valid work permit to work remotely for your Canadian employer outside of Canada. There is no status to maintain. You're not in Canada.

OHiluvCANADA

Star Member
Jun 27, 2017
Category........
CEC
You don't need to have a valid work permit to work remotely for your Canadian employer outside of Canada. There is no status to maintain. You're not in Canada.
What about my paystubs, taxes, financial and legal concerns? What is the next step for me? Should I continue to work as I m doing right now without updating/applying for any work permit, etc? When I will land with COPR wont it affect as I was working without a status?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What about my paystubs, taxes, financial and legal concerns? What is the next step for me? Should I continue to work as I m doing right now without updating/applying for any work permit, etc? When I will land with COPR wont it affect as I was working without a status?
Again, there's no status to maintain if you are working outside of Canada.

You are massively over-complicating a very simple situation. All you need to do is submit a request to extend your COPR.

aNDyaSs

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
Hi,

How about talking to your company to see if they can arrange you to be a self-employed contractor from oversea and pay you in your local currency? Like you provide service to them as a separate company that is oversea.