+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contacting MP for urgent oath

triplesss

Apr 1, 2015
Hi everybody
I have applied on January and my application status is decision made from Aug1st. After that no news.
Based on timeline of people in Montreal I thought they'll call me for oath after 2-3 weeks but that did not happen.
Now I'm in the situation that I'll lose my job if I won't be Canadian citizen by October 1st. So I contacted the CIC call center and they proposed my to send a letter to the Montreal office. But I have not received any news from them since last week, as this is very important for me now and I don't want to lose time, do you think should I contact my MP so they can contact Montreal office for the urgent oath? I do not want really to lose my job...

CANMAPLE

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
triplesss said:
Hi everybody
I have applied on January and my application status is decision made from Aug1st. After that no news.
Based on timeline of people in Montreal I thought they'll call me for oath after 2-3 weeks but that did not happen.
Now I'm in the situation that I'll lose my job if I won't be Canadian citizen by October 1st. So I contacted the CIC call center and they proposed my to send a letter to the Montreal office. But I have not received any news from them since last week, as this is very important for me now and I don't want to lose time, do you think should I contact my MP so they can contact Montreal office for the urgent oath? I do not want really to lose my job... :'(
It seems very unlikely that your job is contingent on the likelihood of you receiving your citizenship by October 1st. Did your employer state in your job letter or contract that if for some reason you could not get your citizenship by October 1st, you are out the door. In reality, that does not happen my friend. Your employer was well aware of your status in the country when you were initially hired and based on what you are saying it just seems that you are desperate to get your citizenship as fast as you can.

Valhalla

Star Member
May 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May/12/2011
LANDED..........
AUG/23/2012
CANMAPLE said:
It seems very unlikely that your job is contingent on the likelihood of you receiving your citizenship by October 1st. Did your employer state in your job letter or contract that if for some reason you could not get your citizenship by October 1st, you are out the door. In reality, that does not happen my friend. Your employer was well aware of your status in the country when you were initially hired and based on what you are saying it just seems that you are desperate to get your citizenship as fast as you can.

I agree...

CANMAPLE

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
triplesss said:
Hi everybody
Now I'm in the situation that I'll lose my job if I won't be Canadian citizen by October 1st. So I contacted the CIC call center and they proposed my to send a letter to the Montreal office. But I have not received any news from them since last week, as this is very important for me now and I don't want to lose time, do you think should I contact my MP so they can contact Montreal office for the urgent oath? I do not want really to lose my job... :'(
Check out the Federal and Provincial Employment Codes for once. I had to take an elective course focused on just that side of the law. So, there is no way that you can be fired for not being able to become a Canadian citizen by October 1st. It just does not make any sense! Any reasonable person would be able to reject your quest for an urgent oath-You just have to get in line like the others.

sengabo

Dec 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe he is honest about possibility of losing his job...as he is applying for a job in the gulf as a Canadian citizen to get extra benefits.That is it!!

CANMAPLE

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sengabo said:
I believe he is honest about possibility of losing his job...as he is applying for a job in the gulf as a Canadian citizen to get extra benefits.That is it!!
I see, so in this case, Canadian employment law plays no role here as his place of employment is outside of the Canadian jurisdiction. But if the applicant's true intentions are to leave Canada right after becoming a citizen and he is doing so openly - then I don't know why the Department would expedite the adjudication of his petition for citizenship. Citizenship is for people who want to live here and fulfill the Canadian taxation obligations (in cases where Canadians are being employed overseas) NOT for the folks who are just after a passport and some added perks that may come with a maple leaf passport.

triplesss

Apr 1, 2015
CANMAPLE said:
To you and the people who thought I'm not honest about saying my situation :

Well, there is no reason that I'm being not honest here man! My situation is complicated and I just said "I will lose my job" to shorten the story and bring out the important point! but here is the thing: I have got my PhD and I have got an acceptance for a postdoctoral researcher position from a university in California and it's conditional to my own funding. My funding will come from a FRQNT postdoctoral scholarship bourse (just search in case you doubt that it exists!), the deadline for that is the 2nd of October at 4pm, and since my postdoctoral institution is in USA, the man who is responsible for FRQNT told me that I have to have Canadian citizenship when I'm applying and I should attach the proof of that,otherwise they would just decline my bourse request and I won't get money. Therefore I will lose this money and also my position as a postdoc researcher at USA university.
hey guys think before you judge anybody and try to help if you can, most of people here are frustrated from the long process of immigration or citizenship and they need help.

triplesss

Apr 1, 2015
CANMAPLE said:
I see, so in this case, Canadian employment law plays no role here as his place of employment is outside of the Canadian jurisdiction. But if the applicant's true intentions are to leave Canada right after becoming a citizen and he is doing so openly - then I don't know why the Department would expedite the adjudication of his petition for citizenship. Citizenship is for people who want to live here and fulfill the Canadian taxation obligations (in cases where Canadians are being employed overseas) NOT for the folks who are just after a passport and some added perks that may come with a maple leaf passport.
By the way that's not your business to judge if I have intention to come back to Canada or not! All my family are in Canada now and I'm going to USA just for the postdoctoral studies as the Canadian government is encouraging doctors to do so and I'll come back here after that. saying " I can't help" won't bother anyone ,so just use it!

CANMAPLE

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
triplesss said:
To you and the people who thought I'm not honest about saying my situation :

Well, there is no reason that I'm being not honest here man! My situation is complicated and I just said "I will lose my job" to shorten the story and bring out the important point! but here is the thing: I have got my PhD and I have got an acceptance for a postdoctoral researcher position from a university in California and it's conditional to my own funding. My funding will come from a FRQNT postdoctoral scholarship bourse (just search in case you doubt that it exists!), the deadline for that is the 2nd of October at 4pm, and since my postdoctoral institution is in USA, the man who is responsible for FRQNT told me that I have to have Canadian citizenship when I'm applying and I should attach the proof of that,otherwise they would just decline my bourse request and I won't get money. Therefore I will lose this money and also my position as a postdoc researcher at USA university.
hey guys think before you judge anybody and try to help if you can, most of people here are frustrated from the long process of immigration or citizenship and they need help.
You used a very broad term "job" and it was left to others' interpretations. Well congrats on finishing your PhD and the acceptance for a post-doctoral researcher position in the States. So it is more likely a research opportunity funded by the organization you mentioned, and Canadian citizenship is one of the requirements that would qualify you to receive the funding. I would be inclined to call it a research work at a post doctoral level than a job. Sorry about the confusion and it makes sense why you are being upset about the delay in the processing of your citizenship application as the deadline is fast approaching.

triplesss

Apr 1, 2015
CANMAPLE said:
You used a very broad term "job" and it was left to others' interpretations. Well congrats on finishing your PhD and the acceptance for a post-doctoral researcher position in the States. So it is more likely a research opportunity funded by the organization you mentioned, and Canadian citizenship is one of the requirements that would qualify you to receive the funding. I would be inclined to call it a research work at a post doctoral level than a job. Sorry about the confusion and it makes sense why you are being upset about the delay in the processing of your citizenship application as the deadline is fast approaching.
Thanks for your understanding...

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recommend contacting your MP so they can inquire for you with the CIC. You have every right to inquire and see if there's an ETA on the oath (you have already taken the test, yes?) The focus should be information, rather than advocacy. Asking for an oath to be expedited so you can leave the country (even for the best of reasons) often invites more scrutiny. Your previous call to the Call Centre may have delayed things, rather than speed them along unfortunately.

At this point, time is not on your side to ascertain the situation and plot a wise path forward through official CIC procedures. 2 weeks is not long enough to get anything done with CIC. I would recommend focusing on trying to ascertain the situation by calling your MP ASAP. It would be wise to soft pedal the focus on your personal well-being and your wish to leave Canada (even temporarily) and focus on you and your Canadian university's need to understand the situation given their advocacy for you.

If you do mention leaving Canada with MPs or CIC, always focus on the temporary nature of the absence.

If you feel like the situation is egregious and can make a good case as to why it's bad for CANADA, your Canadian university, the public, etc. (and better yet, tie it in with the election) you may want to contact the press, write an article etc. Going to the press can solicit ministerial intervention so as to resolve bad press and shut down critics. Given your time frame, you don't have too many options.

triplesss

Apr 1, 2015
eileenf said:
I recommend contacting your MP so they can inquire for you with the CIC. You have every right to inquire and see if there's an ETA on the oath (you have already taken the test, yes?) The focus should be information, rather than advocacy. Asking for an oath to be expedited so you can leave the country (even for the best of reasons) often invites more scrutiny. Your previous call to the Call Centre may have delayed things, rather than speed them along unfortunately.

At this point, time is not on your side to ascertain the situation and plot a wise path forward through official CIC procedures. 2 weeks is not long enough to get anything done with CIC. I would recommend focusing on trying to ascertain the situation by calling your MP ASAP. It would be wise to soft pedal the focus on your personal well-being and your wish to leave Canada (even temporarily) and focus on you and your Canadian university's need to understand the situation given their advocacy for you.

If you do mention leaving Canada with MPs or CIC, always focus on the temporary nature of the absence.

If you feel like the situation is egregious and can make a good case as to why it's bad for CANADA, your Canadian university, the public, etc. (and better yet, tie it in with the election) you may want to contact the press, write an article etc. Going to the press can solicit ministerial intervention so as to resolve bad press and shut down critics. Given your time frame, you don't have too many options.
Thanks a lot for your comment elieenf. Yes I have already passed the test in July and my online status became decision made on Aug 1st,I'm just waiting for the oath. Actually in my case the Canadian government organization is encouraging us to do our postdoc outside Canada to broaden our knowledge and our network. Based on your comment I'll contact my MP tomorrow to clarify my situation and ask for what they can do. Again thanks for your advice :)

longwaitwithrq

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
triplesss said:
Thanks a lot for your comment elieenf. Yes I have already passed the test in July and my online status became decision made on Aug 1st,I'm just waiting for the oath. Actually in my case the Canadian government organization is encouraging us to do our postdoc outside Canada to broaden our knowledge and our network. Based on your comment I'll contact my MP tomorrow to clarify my situation and ask for what they can do. Again thanks for your advice :)
get your atip, do elementary things first, your mp can only get the information of what the status of your file is, nothing more nothing less (we are not in la la land) and the atip will also provide u the same information, he can do nothing to speed the process, there is no provision in the citizenship act for an mp to expediete a case, these are written laws, only cic can and for the same there are written procedures and processes, i wish u luck with getting citizenship asap.

we will be here 2 weeks from now, do post if you still have your job as on 1st october.

triplesss

Apr 1, 2015
longwaitwithrq said:
get your atip, do elementary things first, your mp can only get the information of what the status of your file is, nothing more nothing less (we are not in la la land) and the atip will also provide u the same information, he can do nothing to speed the process, there is no provision in the citizenship act for an mp to expediete a case, these are written laws, only cic can and for the same there are written procedures and processes, i wish u luck with getting citizenship asap.

we will be here 2 weeks from now, do post if you still have your job as on 1st october.
I have already asked for ATIP, but there will be no new information. I believe I'll get my oath letter by maximum December but my problem is this deadline that I have. you are right that nobody except CIC can expedite the process but remember there is an "urgent processing" thing in the written law too! And that urgent processing is supposed to be for the people who have problem like me. well I have nothing to lose,if I don't get my citizenship by October , I'll lose my postdoc researcher position and it's going to ruin my future career as I was trying to get this position for almost a year. And more importantly I'll lose my funding to support myself and my family, so I have to try every possible way ...