+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contacting MP for urgent oath

longwaitwithrq

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
triplesss said:
I have already asked for ATIP, but there will be no new information. I believe I'll get my oath letter by maximum December but my problem is this deadline that I have. you are right that nobody except CIC can expedite the process but remember there is an "urgent processing" thing in the written law too! And that urgent processing is supposed to be for the people who have problem like me. well I have nothing to lose,if I don't get my citizenship by October , I'll lose my postdoc researcher position and it's going to ruin my future career as I was trying to get this position for almost a year. And more importantly I'll lose my funding to support myself and my family, so I have to try every possible way ...
I can completely understand your situation, but the odds are definetly against you unless you have backed your case with good documentation, but it would take a real gutsy officer to take the call on your case as its not a simple urgent request due to oppurtunity to apply for a canadian government or other job requiring canadian citizenship but it involves leaving the country, i would sum it up as "hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

triplesss

Apr 1, 2015
longwaitwithrq said:
I can completely understand your situation, but the odds are definetly against you unless you have backed your case with good documentation, but it would take a real gutsy officer to take the call on your case as its not a simple urgent request due to oppurtunity to apply for a canadian government or other job requiring canadian citizenship but it involves leaving the country, i would sum it up as "hope for the best and prepare for the worst"
Thanks for your comments, I understand that this is going to be tricky request. Most people(including CIC officers) do not have an idea about how researchers are funded by these grants.This scholarships/grants are the only source of income for these researchers and their family. CIC people do not like to call it a job,but we have to pay tax on that! They think postdoc is a study, but in reality it's not and that's why we pay tax. I do believe in your statement that I should hope for the best and prepare myself for the worst!

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Dear tripless,

I've checked in

http://www.frqnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/bourses-et-subventions/consulter-les-programmes-remplir-une-demande/bourse?id=t0e0ormq1432652171008

and you can still apply to the fellowship if you're a PR.

triplesss

Apr 1, 2015
montrealia said:
Dear tripless,

I've checked in

http://www.frqnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/bourses-et-subventions/consulter-les-programmes-remplir-une-demande/bourse?id=t0e0ormq1432652171008

and you can still apply to the fellowship if you're a PR.
Thanks Montrealia for your help. But actually you can apply for FRQNT with PR only for the institutions which are inside Canada. In my Case, my postdoc institution is in USA and I must be Canadian Citizen by the deadline. Michel Garceau also confirmed it saying : "Vous ne pouvez pas faire une demande de bourse pour un stage aux États-Unis si vous n’êtes pas citoyen canadien au 2 octobre 2015. Vous devez absolument faire une demande pour un stage au Canada. Sinon vous serez déclaré non admissible."

I have just called CIC and they told me they have accepted my request for urgent oath based on my documents. But I'm still waiting for the oath letter...

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
You're right, I've just seen the provision you mention under "Postdoctoral research location". Thanks for the clarification!

In my experience, CIC's citizenship criteria are naturally unfriendly with the typical academic career (which may include frequent travel to conferences out of Canada, many moves and changes of employer, etc). This is not intentional, it simply goes to say that the typical academic career raises red flags with the citizenship process.

I know, I've suffered extensively, but finally got there.

Best of luck!