+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contact for CIC help to delay landing

CanadianPRbeku

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
Chicago
Passport Req..
22-09-2017
Hi guys- i received my PR card about a year back but with corona happening i want to reach out to CIC to explore if they will extend my landing cutoff date- what email id will i use to reach out? any thoughts..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys- i received my PR card about a year back but with corona happening i want to reach out to CIC to explore if they will extend my landing cutoff date- what email id will i use to reach out? any thoughts..
you still have 2 years to land so you’ll be told that you have lots of time to relocate. RO is already very lenient. You will be told that if you encounter H&C reasons why you can’t meet your RO you can apply in the future. If you are in the US you have the option to get to Canada by land or plane so there isn’t much of an issue with you getting to Canada.

Reactions: computer_leprechaun

CanadianPRbeku

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
Chicago
Passport Req..
22-09-2017
hi thanks for your response..pasting my response from another thread on this subject..i should apologize because I guess i wasnt clear enough..I have time till April..so about 6-7months left of that 2yr period...and in the current economic environment i would rather postpone and not place my family at financial risk so and that's why i was wondering if someone would know a good touchpoint..thanks again!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hi thanks for your response..pasting my response from another thread on this subject..i should apologize because I guess i wasnt clear enough..I have time till April..so about 6-7months left of that 2yr period...and in the current economic environment i would rather postpone and not place my family at financial risk so and that's why i was wondering if someone would know a good touchpoint..thanks again!
1. Covid or not, CIC is not going to extend the time that you need to meet your Residence obligations.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Guess you can try calling them or send a web form but the result will likely be the same given the whole point of being a PR is to live in Canada.

Given you say you received your PR card or landed about a year back you could still stay out of Canada for near 3 years and still meet the residency requirement if you then stayed put for the following 2 years.

So for example say someone landed April 2019 then they could stay away until March 2022 as long as if they left it that late they then stayed in Canada until March 2024 to meet the 2 out of 5 year residency obligation. Note it is the initial landing date that the RO is based on and not the date PR cards are issued and the 2 years is an accumlation of any time in Canada during the 5 years..

As said above though IRCC will not change the residency obligation requirement, why should they given the whole point is to be a PR and live in Canada so if someone decides to not live in the country despite being a PR that is a personal decision regardless of what is going on with the world.

Last edited:

CanadianPRbeku

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
Chicago
Passport Req..
22-09-2017
Guess you can try calling them or send a web form but the result will likely be the same given the whole point of being a PR is to live in Canada.

Given you say you received your PR card or landed about a year back you could still stay out of Canada for near 3 years and still meet the residency requirement if you then stayed put for the following 2 years.

So for example say someone landed April 2019 then they could stay away until March 2022 as long as if they left it that late they then stayed in Canada until March 2024 to meet the 2 out of 5 year residency obligation. Note it is the initial landing date that the RO is based on and not the date PR cards are issued and the 2 years is an accumlation of any time in Canada during the 5 years..

As said above though IRCC will not change the residency obligation requirement, why should they given the whole point is to be a PR and live in Canada so if someone decides to not live in the country despite being a PR that is a personal decision regardless of what is going on with the world.
Thanks for the detailed response- i honestly do agree with your response but for the sake of my family i still would want to try..recently had a kid also so if i could avoid this corona induced uncertainty i would want that...have stable job in US and with millions loosing jobs around the globe its scary out there..thats my only point i guess

anyways i will fill out a webform..fingers crossed :) thanks again

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the detailed response- i honestly do agree with your response but for the sake of my family i still would want to try..recently had a kid also so if i could avoid this corona induced uncertainty i would want that...have stable job in US and with millions loosing jobs around the globe its scary out there..thats my only point i guess

anyways i will fill out a webform..fingers crossed :) thanks again
You will be told that if you have a reason why you can’t meet your RO you can always apply for H&C but uncertain economy is not considered a reason. In order to sponsor your child you must be compliant with your RO.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can remain outside of Canada for 3 years after landing and still meet RO. So you still have a year and a half remaining (not six months).

As others have said, IRCC will not extend the validity of your PR card. Of course you are free to email them.

CanadianPRbeku

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
Chicago
Passport Req..
22-09-2017
You can remain outside of Canada for 3 years after landing and still meet RO. So you still have a year and a half remaining (not six months).

As others have said, IRCC will not extend the validity of your PR card. Of course you are free to email them.
We did our first landing in May 2018 so between now and May of 2023 we have to garner 730days - thats if i understood the rule correctly.

With our stable jobs in this uncertain global environment i would really love it if cic would give me that extra cushion though i am a honestly a skeptic but for the sake of the family i am planning to cross my fingers and reach out to cic..and thats why i was asking if someone knew a good email id for such cases as mine.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond- i do appreciate it!

Best

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We did our first landing in May 2018 so between now and May of 2023 we have to garner 730days - thats if i understood the rule correctly.

With our stable jobs in this uncertain global environment i would really love it if cic would give me that extra cushion though i am a honestly a skeptic but for the sake of the family i am planning to cross my fingers and reach out to cic..and thats why i was asking if someone knew a good email id for such cases as mine.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond- i do appreciate it!

Best
Got it - I thought you said you became a PR in 2019. My mistake.

IRCC really isn't making exceptions and you're going to get a negative answer - or more likely just a generic response that restates the residency requirement. Please don't hold out hope for anything else. But I understand why you feel you may need to try. No one here has successfully extended their PR card validity.

You still have several months to made a decision. However sometime next year you're going to have to make a choice between the U.S. and Canada. Any chance your U.S. employer would allow you to work for them remotely in Canada? Maybe that's a possibility for keeping your U.S. job while still meeting the residency requirement for Canada?

CanadianPRbeku

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
Chicago
Passport Req..
22-09-2017
Got it - I thought you said you became a PR in 2019. My mistake.

IRCC really isn't making exceptions and you're going to get a negative answer - or more likely just a generic response that restates the residency requirement. Please don't hold out hope for anything else. But I understand why you feel you may need to try. No one here has successfully extended their PR card validity.

You still have several months to made a decision. However sometime next year you're going to have to make a choice between the U.S. and Canada. Any chance your U.S. employer would allow you to work for them remotely in Canada? Maybe that's a possibility for keeping your U.S. job while still meeting the residency requirement for Canada?
Thanks again for responding - basis all the feedback i am planning to fill out a webform and also cross my fingers :) hoping for the best. Also as answer to your thoughts..dDont like the uncertainty of US so we will move to canada no doubts about that..also my employer is originally a canadian firm so thats my next step- push them to let me keep my american job while i work from home from Canada..i have been working from home for about year already so i dont see an issue in moving but you never know..so these are my next steps. thank you again for taking the time!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks again for responding - basis all the feedback i am planning to fill out a webform and also cross my fingers :) hoping for the best. Also as answer to your thoughts..dDont like the uncertainty of US so we will move to canada no doubts about that..also my employer is originally a canadian firm so thats my next step- push them to let me keep my american job while i work from home from Canada..i have been working from home for about year already so i dont see an issue in moving but you never know..so these are my next steps. thank you again for taking the time!
The web form is honestly going to be pointless. There's no chance of an extension. But if it makes you feel better to try - then you should obviously go ahead. Good luck in the decision-making.

Reactions: canuck78