+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Sponsorship- Am I eligible

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
Hi all,

Me and my bf (Both Indians) have been in a LDR for more than 10 years now ,meeting up once or twice a year. I moved to Canada last year as a PR. I wished to sponsor him as my husband but we were unable to get married in our country of residence or his country as both countries ( Middle East) require my fathers permission to get married and as we belong to different sects we never got approval from our parents and society. Sectarian violence is at its peak in Middle East as everyone knows and we don't feel very safe getting married. Religious priests refused to get us married due to this. We were not able to live together as both our countries does not permit a couple to live together without marriage. We applied for his TRV for Canada which was rejected twice due to the officer not being satisfied with his current employment situation. We also travelled to the US last month to get married and even officiated our wedding, only to realize that Indian Consulate does not accept marriages in US where neither one is a USA resident. My only last hope is Conjugal Sponsorship, I dont know what else to do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

Me and my bf (Both Indians) have been in a LDR for more than 10 years now ,meeting up once or twice a year. I moved to Canada last year as a PR. I wished to sponsor him as my husband but we were unable to get married in our country of residence or his country as both countries ( Middle East) require my fathers permission to get married and as we belong to different sects we never got approval from our parents and society. Sectarian violence is at its peak in Middle East as everyone knows and we don't feel very safe getting married. Religious priests refused to get us married due to this. We were not able to live together as both our countries does not permit a couple to live together without marriage. We applied for his TRV for Canada which was rejected twice due to the officer not being satisfied with his current employment situation. We also travelled to the US last month to get married and even officiated our wedding, only to realize that Indian Consulate does not accept marriages in US where neither one is a USA resident. My only last hope is Conjugal Sponsorship, I dont know what else to do.
Canada will accept your US marriage unless there's something I'm not aware of. What the Indian Consulate does or does not accept is irrelevant. You should apply as a married couple.

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
As far as I checked about this with consultancy's , I am still an Indian citizen and in order to get married I need to get all my documents attested and notarized by the Indian consulate. And Indian consulate requires you either of the couple to be a resident.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We also travelled to the US last month to get married and even officiated our wedding, only to realize that Indian Consulate does not accept marriages in US where neither one is a USA resident.
Did you complete the marriage ceremony and get a marriage certificate in USA?

Because Canada does not care what the Indian consulate 'accepts.' (At least not in this context). The US-issued marriage certificate - if valid in the state where issued - will be enough to show you are married.

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As far as I checked about this with consultancy's , I am still an Indian citizen and in order to get married I need to get all my documents attested and notarized by the Indian consulate. And Indian consulate requires you either of the couple to be a resident.
One step at a time: did you complete the marriage formalities in USA or not?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Also, fire your consultant.

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
No, we officiated it but during the time of registration we found out that Indian consulate does not accept such marriages so we didn't register it.

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Up to two years ago. You can get married in California and I am sure many other states as well with only your passport no certification necessary or any other form of ID needed if you are using a passport.

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
So our consultants gave us a long list of documents that we would need. Also, to prove a marriage we would need letters from family and friends and I have none here in Canada/US. Neither do we have family approvals, thats why I thought conjugal would be a better way to go with this.

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
No, we officiated it but during the time of registration we found out that Indian consulate does not accept such marriages so we didn't register it.
Why do you care what the Indian consulate does....Your aim is to live in Canada right?

Canada will recognize it so not sure why the Indian consulate matters?

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
So our consultants gave us a long list of documents that we would need. Also, to prove a marriage we would need letters from family and friends and I have none here in Canada/US. Neither do we have family approvals, thats why I thought conjugal would be a better way to go with this.
Your consultant sounds incompetent. You don't need letters to prove a marriage is genuine

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Fire your consultant, download the application forms and figure it out yourself. The instructions are not that complicated.

There is no part where it requires family and friends in Canada/USA specifically to write letters. Go by the actual instructions, not what you think you have heard.

And believe me: you are WAY better off getting married somewhere (incl USA) instead of applying conjugal. As far as I'm aware, no US state requires docs from consulate to get married (except possibly for those needing to demonstrate they are divorced). As in most Canadian provinces, just identification and sign a doc/swear an oath that there's no impediment to marriage (i.e. you are not already married). [Different for those previously married as divorce docs required]

If you can't do USA, anywhere in Europe, really. Many of those may require a doc from embassy/consulate showing you are not married, but that does not amount to 'permission' to get married. Again, irrelevant if Indian govt recognizes the marriage or not, as long as valid in the place where the marriage was performed.

Summersnow23

Sep 18, 2021
Okay I was not aware of this information. As per my research, I am still an Indian so I need all documents to be notarized by Indian consulate to be approved and accepted as genuine. Not just marriage certificate, every document that I submit.
Thank you for this information, I will read more about this.

Also, a quick question. Will I have to add my spouse's name on my passport for the application?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Okay I was not aware of this information. As per my research, I am still an Indian so I need all documents to be notarized by Indian consulate to be approved and accepted as genuine. Not just marriage certificate, every document that I submit.

Also, a quick question. Will I have to add my spouse's name on my passport for the application?
I repeat, if yiou'd just registered the marriage in USA and had the certificate, you could apply tomorrow.

-If a document like a marriage certificate is from the US, it will not need to be notarized by Indian consulate - not for Canada. In fact - read the instructions in the application package CAREFULLY - Canada does not generally require foreign docs to be notarized by consulates, and most documents that are in English or French in the original do not need more than a photocopy. (Check the instructions though). (When documents do need to be translated, they need a notarized copy and certified translation, but apart from some countries in Latin America, the notarization can be done by any notary and not a government one or consulate). Again, details vary by country, but Canada does not require the whole apostille/notarization by consulates thing that other countries do.

-No, you do not need to add spouse's name on passport (for Canadian immigration purposes anyway).

Read the instructions.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

US marriage certificate DO NOT need to be notarized by Indian consulate. It will be taken as its.

FYI Canadians do not have either spouse nor father's name on our passports. Only the passport holder's name.