+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal partners application

asesueva

Apr 15, 2017
Hey guys,

I and my canadien boyfriend are about applying for PR through Conjugal partnership. We currently living together for 10 months but it is not enough for Common law application and my IEC is about to end soon so we have to hurry up. We are filling out the forms and I do not understand what we have to choose under marital status: where is no conjugal partner option but we cant choose neither common law neither any of them. Did someone have this dilemma?

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
asesueva said:
Hey guys,

I and my canadien boyfriend are about applying for PR through Conjugal partnership. We currently living together for 10 months but it is not enough for Common law application and my IEC is about to end soon so we have to hurry up. We are filling out the forms and I do not understand what we have to choose under marital status: where is no conjugal partner option but we cant choose neither common law neither any of them. Did someone have this dilemma?
If you're living together to establish common law, you don't qualify for conjugal. You can get married, or go CL. Any conjugal application made within Canada is a waste of time and money, and guaranteed to fail.

HeyKenGuy

Mar 10, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
04/04/2017
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
04/27/2017
File Transfer...
06/01/2017
Med's Request
05/01/2017
Med's Done....
05/04/2017:Meds Passed 05/12/2017
if you are living together, you do not qualify as conjugal

conjugal sponsorship is for couples that are not able to live together due to legal or immigration barriers

my suggestion is just wait the two months and apply as common law

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What others have said. A conjugal application will be refused since you don't qualify for this class. Either live together for a full year continuously to become common law or get married.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Also (as practical advice beyond 'stop what you're trying), you can change to visitor status online, so that will give you enough time to establish common law status. You then have a choice of filing an outland application (which will probably be done quicker), or if you have to resume working as soon as possible, apply inland & for a work permit while you wait, which will arrive within about 4 months and allow you to work once it arrives (although you will have to wait probably a year to 18 months to get the full PR status).

asesueva

Apr 15, 2017
Thank you for your help! I saw a lawyer but to go with a him is extremely expensive ( 5000$ just for his part). I thought that application through Conjugal partner will not work in our case but a lawyer we met was so unclear. He said we can already apply because we are together about 2 years and 10 months living together .

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asesueva said:
Thank you for your help! I saw a lawyer but to go with a him is extremely expensive ( 5000$ just for his part). I thought that application through Conjugal partner will not work in our case but a lawyer we met was so unclear. He said we can already apply because we are together about 2 years and 10 months living together .
If you have lived together previously for at least 365 consecutive days (anywhere in the world) and have strong prove of this, you could in fact apply as Common-Law now. If you have not (or do not have strong proof), waiting another two months might be your best option.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
A lawyer can't change the basic requirements. There are three ways of moving a romantic partner to Canada.
1) Get married.
2) Live together for 12 months continuously.
3) If neither of the above is possible for legal or immigration reasons - such as being already married in a country/society that doesn't permit divorce, or one of the couple not being able to travel to any country where the two can get married - a conjugal partner application.

You do not meet (1), but could meet it (so (3) is automatically excluded), and you've said you don't yet meet (2), but again you could (so no (3)).

If your relationship is two years old then you should find it relatively easy to demonstrate genuine relationship, and if you lived together for 12 continuous months beforehand somewhere else in the world then you would already qualify as common law. But you must live together for 12 months to qualify that route, and because you can do either of the others, you cannot do conjugal.

asesueva

Apr 15, 2017
Bcboundboy said:
A lawyer can't change the basic requirements. There are three ways of moving a romantic partner to Canada.
1) Get married.
2) Live together for 12 months continuously.
3) If neither of the above is possible for legal or immigration reasons - such as being already married in a country/society that doesn't permit divorce, or one of the couple not being able to travel to any country where the two can get married - a conjugal partner application.

You do not meet (1), but could meet it (so (3) is automatically excluded), and you've said you don't yet meet (2), but again you could (so no (3)).

If your relationship is two years old then you should find it relatively easy to demonstrate genuine relationship, and if you lived together for 12 continuous months beforehand somewhere else in the world then you would already qualify as common law. But you must live together for 12 months to qualify that route, and because you can do either of the others, you cannot do conjugal.
We had not lived together before... We met in students' dorm in my country where we started to date and then half of year lived in different countries ( my boyfriend had to come back to Canada), I applied for IEC visa when he left my country and came to Canada to be with him last summer immediately after I finished my studies.. So now I see that we really have to wait another 2 months to become common law partners... I am glad I found this forum.