+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion between FSW and Express Entry

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I would like to get some information on the FSW. How does the system really works? For express entry there is a different criteria for calculating points than FSW. I looked on CIC website for FSW, you need minimum of 67 points to be qualified to apply for the same. But they have mentioned that you have to apply through express entry which sort of confused me. I mean they are two different platforms or is there a way you can choose your application path while you are making your profile? For express entry my points are somewhere around 400 which doesn't seem to be enough to get selected. How does FSW select the applicants? If I am not wrong LMIA is NOT mandatory for this path? All you need is one year full time/ paid job experience in NOC O,A or B job, CBL7 in English proficiency test,, Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree?

Please clarify if anyone has any knowledge. Every lil help will be appreciated Thanks in advance!

1LukeSkywalker

Jun 27, 2016
Navprateek said:
Hi Everyone,

I would like to get some information on the FSW. How does the system really works? For express entry there is a different criteria for calculating points than FSW. I looked on CIC website for FSW, you need minimum of 67 points to be qualified to apply for the same. But they have mentioned that you have to apply through express entry which sort of confused me. I mean they are two different platforms or is there a way you can choose your application path while you are making your profile? For express entry my points are somewhere around 400 which doesn't seem to be enough to get selected. How does FSW select the applicants? If I am not wrong LMIA is NOT mandatory for this path? All you need is one year full time/ paid job experience in NOC O,A or B job, CBL7 in English proficiency test,, Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree?

Please clarify if anyone has any knowledge. Every lil help will be appreciated Thanks in advance!

FSW is an immigration programme within Express Entry. In order to be eligible for Express Entry, one must meet the requirements for at least one of the immigration programmes (FSW, CEC, etc.). For FSW, one must have at least 67 points on their point calculator which differs from the point calculation for Express Entry. If one meets the requirements for FSW, they will enter the Express Entry pool, where the points are calculated differently (CRS score). One can enter the Express Entry pool with CRS score as low as 300 or even 200 as long as they meet the requirement of one of their programmes (i.e. FSW 67+ points). On the same note, a person can calculate their Express Entry CRS score to be 400+ but might not be eligible to enter the pool even with that score because they do not meet the requirements for any of their programmes (i.e. FSW points under 67).

Hope this helps clarify your doubts

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
1LukeSkywalker said:
FSW is an immigration programme within Express Entry. In order to be eligible for Express Entry, one must meet the requirements for at least one of the immigration programmes (FSW, CEC, etc.). For FSW, one must have at least 67 points on their point calculator which differs from the point calculation for Express Entry. If one meets the requirements for FSW, they will enter the Express Entry pool, where the points are calculated differently (CRS score). One can enter the Express Entry pool with CRS score as low as 300 or even 200 as long as they meet the requirement of one of their programmes (i.e. FSW 67 points). On the same note, a person can calculate their Express Entry CRS score to be 400+ but might not be eligible to enter the pool even with that score because they do not meet the requirements for any of their programmes (i.e. FSW points under 67).

Hope this helps clarify your doubts
Thanks a lot Luke. One more question. Is LMIA mandatory for FSW? There is a dropdown for Arranged employment in canada, if I am not wrong I can only get those 10 points if my employer provides me an LMIA?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

1LukeSkywalker

Jun 27, 2016
Navprateek said:
Thanks a lot Luke. One more question. Is LMIA mandatory for FSW? There is a dropdown for Arranged employment in canada, if I am not wrong I can only get those 10 points if my employer provides me an LMIA?

LMIA is not mandatory for FSW and as you mentioned, if your employer provides you with an LMIA, you will receive 10 points for FSW calculation and 600 additional points for you Express Entry score

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
1LukeSkywalker said:
LMIA is not mandatory for FSW and as you mentioned, if your employer provides you with an LMIA, you will receive 10 points for FSW calculation and 600 additional points for you Express Entry score
Got you! Thanks for the details. Also as per express entry there is draw every month? How does FSW process work. Any idea? I have like 85 points in FSW

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Navprateek said:
Got you! Thanks for the details. Also as per express entry there is draw every month? How does FSW process work. Any idea? I have like 85 points in FSW
You need to calculate how many points you have under Express Entry (not FSW) to understand your chances of being selected.

1LukeSkywalker

Jun 27, 2016
Navprateek said:
No problem! :) Since you have 67+ points under FSW, you are eligible for Express Entry. Once you create and submit your profile, you will have you CRS score calculated and you will enter the pool. If your CRS score is high enough that it meets their cutoff score for a draw, you will then receive an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence under their FSW criteria.

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
1LukeSkywalker said:
No problem! :) Since you have 67+ points under FSW, you are eligible for Express Entry. Once you create and submit your profile, you will have you CRS score calculated and you will enter the pool. If your CRS score is high enough that it meets their cutoff score for a draw, you will then receive an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence under their FSW criteria.
Cutoff score for the draw? You mean the express entry cuttoff which was 488 for the last draw? And my express entry points are only 400 which is again not enough get an ITA. If a person has to go through express entry then why cic have these different paths to permanent residence. That's what confuse me. There's no point of FSW or CEC if you still need to have a cutoff of depending on EE. I may be missing some details here

1LukeSkywalker

Jun 27, 2016
Navprateek said:
Cutoff score for the draw? You mean the express entry cuttoff which was 488 for the last draw? And my express entry points are only 400 which is again not enough get an ITA. If a person has to go through express entry then why cic have these different paths to permanent residence. That's what confuse me. There's no point of FSW or CEC if you still need to have a cutoff of depending on EE. I may be missing some details here
Yes, that is correct. I think the point of having various immigration programmes like FSW and CEC is to set minimum requirements in order to enter the Express Entry pool. The pool is a combination of all programmes including FSW, CEC, provincial nominations, and LMIA, and it is a way for them to select the CRS scores to meet their yearly quota.

Good luck with everything!

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
1LukeSkywalker said:
Yes, that is correct. I think the point of having various immigration programmes like FSW and CEC is to set minimum requirements in order to enter the Express Entry pool. The pool is a combination of all programmes including FSW, CEC, provincial nominations, and LMIA, and it is a way for them to select the CRS scores to meet their yearly quota.

Good luck with everything!
Thanks again Luke!

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
According to FSW and Express Entry.
To have enough points to be chosen for permanent resident you need to be very young ( before 30) with good education (not less than master), 3 or more years foreign experience
plus either good English ( 7-8 IELTs) or Canadian experience more than 2 year. Otherwise calculating your points you will receive less than 450 points - which is minimum now for being invited.
Or you can be more than 35 - than you need maximum English and still you can't have more than 455 even with PhD and the best English and at least 1 year experience in Canada...

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm "playing" with calculator for a long time already - trying to find solution for us.
My husband is mechanical engineer NOC 2132, 39 years old, with PhD and English 7, 10 years foreign experience but no Canadian yet ( he will receive Post graduate work permit soon, graduating from Canada college - we've received only 350 points - we are at pool but its useless
till the point you have more than 450...

From the March 2016 average score to be taken from pool for permanent residence is 470-485.
So, without LMIA and 600 points it looks almost impossible to be taken from the pool whether under FSW or not...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - that's right. You may want to investigate the provincial nomination programs instead.

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
yes, I'm looking for provincial programs. Thank you.
Now I'm trying to get what province is the best and fastest for engineers in receiving the PR

Vishrut1987

Feb 10, 2016
Hi..

Alberta has a special category for engineers..

You can try in that..

Best luck...

Just a question, your Husband is into which college and which course did he opt for? Did u guys get any difficulties in securing student visa..

Because I am 29 and agents say my chances of getting student visa are 60/40..

Thanks in advance,,,,.....

AlexandraO said:
yes, I'm looking for provincial programs. Thank you.
Now I'm trying to get what province is the best and fastest for engineers in receiving the PR