+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused - Quebec permanent resident wanting to sponsor mother

lyluk

Dec 21, 2014
I am looking for clarification please - in regards to the Family sponsorship and the Super Visa. I heard requirements are different in Quebec. My questions are as follows:

1) For the family sponsorship, we need to apply to register our interest and if we are picked via a 'lottery' system (and only if) then we can apply to sponsor the parent. All this provided we also meet the income requirements and in the case of Quebec residents, these will need to cover the 3 years prior to the application being finally approved and finalized and not when it is submitted. Is all this correct?

2) For Super Visa, the income requirements need to cover only 1 year and this time it's 1 year before the application is submitted. Correct?

I also wish to know if for the income requirements, owning properties in Quebec and living from rental income can count or we need to give proof of earnings from an employer only (which I don't have)?

Anyone can clarify the above please?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am looking for clarification please - in regards to the Family sponsorship and the Super Visa. I heard requirements are different in Quebec. My questions are as follows:

1) For the family sponsorship, we need to apply to register our interest and if we are picked via a 'lottery' system (and only if) then we can apply to sponsor the parent. All this provided we also meet the income requirements and in the case of Quebec residents, these will need to cover the 3 years prior to the application being finally approved and finalized and not when it is submitted. Is all this correct?

2) For Super Visa, the income requirements need to cover only 1 year and this time it's 1 year before the application is submitted. Correct?

I also wish to know if for the income requirements, owning properties in Quebec and living from rental income can count or we need to give proof of earnings from an employer only (which I don't have)?

Anyone can clarify the above please?
1. This is Quebec’s process if selected from the lottery.
https://www.quebec.ca/en/immigration/sponsor-family-member/sponsoring-father-mother-great-parent
2. Super Visa is the same, no separate process for Quebec. You need to meet LICO for the number of people in your family, and parent needs to purchase one year of health insurance. Income is based on NOA. Owning properties doesn’t count unless you are counting the rentals as income as a property manager. Your NOA states your income.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/eligibility.html

lyluk

Dec 21, 2014
1. This is Quebec’s process if selected from the lottery.
https://www.quebec.ca/en/immigration/sponsor-family-member/sponsoring-father-mother-great-parent
2. Super Visa is the same, no separate process for Quebec. You need to meet LICO for the number of people in your family, and parent needs to purchase one year of health insurance. Income is based on NOA. Owning properties doesn’t count unless you are counting the rentals as income as a property manager. Your NOA states your income.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/eligibility.html
Thanks for your reply.

Is the insurance not changed to monthly instead of buying a full year up front? I heard something like this as being a recent change.

When you say property manager, does it mean we should register as a company? We do our taxes for the rental income but only as self-employed individuals.
In the eligibility from the link you sent, it also says bank statements, if I don't have enough on the NOA, does it count if I can show that I have enough money in my bank account and that of my husband?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply.

Is the insurance not changed to monthly instead of buying a full year up front? I heard something like this as being a recent change.

When you say property manager, does it mean we should register as a company? We do our taxes for the rental income but only as self-employed individuals.
In the eligibility from the link you sent, it also says bank statements, if I don't have enough on the NOA, does it count if I can show that I have enough money in my bank account and that of my husband?
Insurance requirements and income requirements are in the link.