+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused About Proof of Funds at Landing

TMSB

Oct 21, 2009
Dear all,

I'm still a bit confused about the proof of funds at landing. Do they accept a uk bank statement showing the sufficient funds or only (better) cash? And if only cash, is British pounds accepted or only Canadian dollars?

Best
TMSB

ashrafbwn

Oct 4, 2009
Lahore
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-March-2010(CIC), Full Docs:06-Aug-2010
Doc's Request.
14-April-2010
AOR Received.
15-Sep-2010
TMSB said:
Dear all,

I'm still a bit confused about the proof of funds at landing. Do they accept a uk bank statement showing the sufficient funds or only (better) cash? And if only cash, is British pounds accepted or only Canadian dollars?

Best
TMSB
Go through following thread

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/proof-of-landing-funds-t39318.0.html

Ashraf

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're probably confused because people's experiences vary. Sometimes when you land, Officers will do a quick confirmation for proof of funds. Other times, Offices may choose - for many reasons, including the fact that they randomly need to confirm information to ensure it was accurately reported - to check it more in depth.

The way I think about it is ... you want to minimize headaches when you cross the border. You know that the intent of the proof of funds is to ensure you have sufficient cash on hand to support yourself. And, while you could wire the funds, it can take time to do so. Therefore, given the stakes and the possibility of a random in-depth screening, it is worth taking proof of funds that is straightforward for funds readily available in Canada. You need to balance out the risk of losing the funds so take them in an easily replaceable format. For example, you could take a cashiers check in your name if the issuing bank allows you to cancel it if it is lost or stolen and you can afford not to have the money available while they go through process should anything go wrong. Alternatively, open a bank account in Canada and wire at least part of the funds ahead of time and take a statement showing funds are already in Canada and readily available.

Like many other parts of this process, proof of funds is quite personal and you need to do what makes sense given you personal situation to prove that you have them while balancing your risk (while you could take a pile of cash and be very convincing, I think we'd all agree it's way too risky! ;D)