+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conflicting advice from lawyers need some input from buffalo outlanders

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
We were planning on submitting a full packet of medicals, police certificate etc all at once since the processing on CIC indicates faster approval based on this.
However when I spoke to two immigration lawyers they both stated not to do the medical or background until CIC requests it. This seems logically to take longer based on 8-12 for FBI letter and then possibly four months to get the medical clearance to Ottawa.
So should we do that all first? And what if you do the medical before the actual application, what do you send to the CIC as proof? Do they send what they saw to Ottawa before your application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If this is for a spousal application - then the medical and police certificates are a mandatory part of the application and everything must be submitted together. This requirements is very clearly stated in the guides posted on the CIC site. Make sure you read both the main application guide and the country specific guide.

My husband's application was recently processed outland through Buffalo - and we submitted everything together.

Once you complete the medical, the DMP will provide you with a form that's submitted together with your application. Again, if you look at the material posted on the CIC site, it's mandatory this be included as part of the original application. My husband completed the medical about a month before we submitted the actual application.

If you were in fact asking about a spousal application, I would stay very far away from these two lawyers.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Scylla is exactly right. Also, you do not need to have a lawyer or consultant unless your case is very complicated or you don't have the time to put together the application. I've seen that lawyers can be a hit or miss when applying. I did not use anything personally.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
nyssa said:
Scylla is exactly right. Also, you do not need to have a lawyer or consultant unless your case is very complicated or you don't have the time to put together the application. I've seen that lawyers can be a hit or miss when applying. I did not use anything personally.
I don't think they even help in saving time! As you do have to look for all the proof of relationship yourself.

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
We are planning on sending the spousal and sponsor application together. I did not mean attorneys would speed up the time but rather sending in medical and FBI would speed it possibly up.
It just did not make sense to me when they said to wait for the CIC to ask for those things and then submit them. So I should get it all done before we send the packet to Mississauga correct?

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Forgot to add that we are wondering if we seem to be a complicated case based on me immigrating my children from previous divorces and then add his divorces and our age difference of 22 years. We know that our relationship is genuine and can provide more than six months of phone records and emails but not sure if that is good enough. Add to that I have a otherwise medical exemption but I know that based on the excessive demand clause that will not be a problem.
This all just seems complicated because for our ceremony we are just planning on getting married quietly on some island based on our previous marriages from when we were younger. Plus we have to wait for a border waiver to get married in US so that complicates things for planning in the US.

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
A Little Town In Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
March 2011 !!! :):)
Patricksgirls said:
We are planning on sending the spousal and sponsor application together. I did not mean attorneys would speed up the time but rather sending in medical and FBI would speed it possibly up.
It just did not make sense to me when they said to wait for the CIC to ask for those things and then submit them. So I should get it all done before we send the packet to Mississauga correct?
Yes have these both ready before sending.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
If you read the checklist for the outland application you will see that they ask you to send the medical receipt with the package.

You dont need police certificates unless CIC asks for them but you do need the fbi certificate.

What is the waiver needed for? Was the Cdn refused entry in to the US?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
heatherusa said:
You dont need police certificates unless CIC asks for them but you do need the fbi certificate.
I should clarify that statement so that it doesnt confuse anyone...

you dont need State Police Certificates from the US unless asked for them

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Yes my fiance needs a border waiver. He applied on June 27 and still nothing yet so we are really hesitant to plan anything in the U.S. but we would like that option since it is the easiest and fastest way to get our marriage certificate. If I go to Canada I am hesitant about that since I received a visitor record the last time I visited in September and then there is the whole having my divorce approved by a Canadian attorney so it just seems like a whole lot of hassles to get denied at the border.
We are looking into meeting in the Cook Islands for a wedding/slash time to be together but then not sure how long the wait is for the marriage certificate.
Never knew how precious time was until I started dating someone from another country lol and this is just Canada for crying out loud!

Inlandappl

Jul 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
Hey Patricksgirls, i got married in Aitutaki, in the cook islands, a beautiful amazing incredible place , if you want some info about this subject let me know

Inlandappl

Jul 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
it is so easy!!!you need to have stayed in the country for just 3 days, they are so relaxed, papers are straightforward , we got the certificate 3 days later i can give u the contact if u want. i got married on honeymoon island, the whole ceremony costed me 2000 NZ dollars, charter boat, ukulele player, food , one bottle of wine, photographer(well the guy organizing took the pics with my digital camera), the minister , the flowers and the papers!!!you just have to bring your birth certificate in english and your passport( i tell you i gave the birth certificate but they didnt even ask for it at the end) but it is better to bring it.
we got married on honeymoon island, a deserted sandbar, if you want to see some pics let me know. we had already been to the cooks 3 yrs earlier and when we got married in may 2010 we stayed almost 3 weeks.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Patricksgirls said:
We were planning on submitting a full packet of medicals, police certificate etc all at once since the processing on CIC indicates faster approval based on this.
However when I spoke to two immigration lawyers they both stated not to do the medical or background until CIC requests it.
For an outland spousal application, you send the proof of the medical and the police certificates with the apps to Mississauga. When you get the medical done, the doctor will send the form him/herself, and give you a form to put in the application.
For other types of immigrant applications, such as FSW or parents' class, you don't get the medical done until the visa office requests it. The two lawyers are mixing up the two types; I suggest if they aren't clear on this, you should definitely not hire them!

There are a couple of countries where you are supposed to wait - Mexico, I think, for the police certificate. Check the region-specific guide for your region - it will explain clearly if you should get the medical and the police checks done before you send in the application.