+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated situation what to put on form?

kittykane

Jan 23, 2013
Hi!
I'm a British Citizen and I have a boyfriend working in Canada (also British) Problem is we never had shared accounts to be able to proove out Common Law so I'm applying for an IEC without him on it. By signing 'I do not have a spouse or common law partner' is that false information?

My understanding is you have to register to become common law

Also I visited Canada for about 8 months in a 2 year (over 2 trips) but only as a visitor, for section 20 on IMM1295 Application will I need to state this despite my address being in the U.K and only visiting Canada?

I've been battling for these answers for a while as I really want to go out there to live with him. Im considering using a BUNAC to help with my application.

• Is it illegal to sign 'I do not have a common law partner' if you have a boyfriend?
  • Do I need to declaire my time in Canada when I was only a visitor and my living address was U.K?
  • Has anyone used BUNAC to help with application, is it worth the money?

Any help appreicated!
Thank you!
Kitty

I have just realised I've posted this in the wrong section can I more it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't need to register to be classified as common law. If you have lived together for a minimum of one full year, then you are common law and should say so in your application.

kittykane

Jan 23, 2013
The Visa Applications indicate I have to apply to declare him as a common law, and its an additional application form. I'm aware this will delay my application a lot as we don't have the documents needed and could potentially be denied on that basis. He has been out there almost 2 years now but we moved in together jan 2010
My question is do I have to state I have a boyfriend as the options are spouse/married/common law/separated and single.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You don't need to register to be classified as common law. If you have lived together for a minimum of one full year, then you are common law and should say so in your application.
Agreed!

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Boyfriend = Single.

Common law = living together for 1 yr or more... Have you been living together for 1 yr out of the last 2 yrs?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kittykane said:
The Visa Applications indicate I have to apply to declare him as a common law, and its an additional application form. I'm aware this will delay my application a lot as we don't have the documents needed and could potentially be denied on that basis. He has been out there almost 2 years now but we moved in together jan 2010
My question is do I have to state I have a boyfriend as the options are spouse/married/common law/separated and single.
If you lived together for at least one year and your relationship is ongoing, you need to include him as common-law.

It's not a big deal - you simply have to fill out this statutory declaration (must be notarized) and include it with your application - it is just a statement (you don't need to provide supporting documentation).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5409E.pdf

Whether or not you have the documentation like joint accounts etc doesn't matter, just do the best you can and state what documentation you do have.

If one of you were already a PR and applying to sponsor the other as a spouse, THEN you would have to worry about the complicated application. But not in this case.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kittykane said:
So legally I have to declare it and pay the additional fees?
??? what additional fees??? BTW, you've posted in the CEC forum, so few of us would know the details of the IEC program.

I don't know if it's actually criminal offense to lie to CIC, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to come or stay here...

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
I don't know if it's actually criminal offense to lie to CIC, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to come or stay here...
Def. not a good lie to lie to CIC. When you get caught, everything you worked for is wasted!

kittykane

Jan 23, 2013
I don't want to lie, I just want to make sure my statement is true to what they are asking.
He's been living in Canada working and I'm in the U.K working. We've been in different countries for almost 2 years.
I stayed with him when I visited but because I was a visitor my legal address was still the U.K

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kittykane said:
I don't want to lie, I just want to make sure my statement is true to what they are asking.
He's been living in Canada working and I'm in the U.K working. We've been in different countries for almost 2 years.
I stayed with him when I visited but because I was a visitor my legal address was still the U.K
Based on this you are not common law. Not a chance. You haven't even been living in the same country for two years let alone the same abode!