+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Sponsor On IEC WHV From Australia

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
Hi this is doing my head in :-\

Quick rundown:

I'm 31 (i originally applied for the IEC WHV and was approved but due to finance/death in the family) I've had let this lapse, this visa expires on 28th Feb 2014.

My wife is 27 and as she has still 3yrs till she is ineligible to apply for the WHV she is fine but I'm not.

Can my wife apply for an IEV WHV but sponsor me as a common law? we have been living together for 5yrs and married for near 2 of them (we have all supporting documentation), proof of funds we have is $20k combined.

I did email the IEC and they emailed the if we take supporting documentation with us along with enough proof of funds that there should be now reason why i could not accompany my while for her whole duration on the IEC WHV 2yrs even though i dont meet the age requirement but she does.

Just going via an email response and flying from Australia all the way to Canada would be a let down if not accepted, can anyone shed some light on this, what there views are?

The email response is all i have to say that i would be accepted as i have tried calling to get a verbal response but no go on that as they only accept emails not phone calls to there office in Sydney.

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
This was the email response for IEC:

"On arrival at the Canadian port of entry, a person accompanying their spouse or common-law partner or parent who holds the IEC work permit may ask to be granted admission to Canada for a duration coinciding with their spouse or common-law partner or parent's IEC work permit but the Port of Entry Officer has the discretion to grant this or not. The spouse must provide a copy of the marriage certificate; the child, a copy of the birth certificate along with a written consent of the other non-accompanying parent if the child is travelling with only one parent; while the common-law partner must submit documentary evidence to show you have cohabited in an ongoing relationship for a minimum period of 12 months. This may include copies of documents such as: joint bank statements or statements to the same address; joint property ownership; superannuation beneficiary declaration/s; wills, etc. and include Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union"

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Post your question to the Foreign Workers section of the forum. This is where the vast majority of IEC posts can be found.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/foreign-workers-b10.0/

The second of the forum you're in now is for Canadian permanent residents and citizens who are sponsoring family members.