+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law but separated

Fool me once

May 23, 2021
Effective February this I was on common law with this guy. We welcomed a baby this year too. One month post my delivery, I discovered he was cheating, kicked him out of the house and now we are separated.
Both of us haven’t changed the status on cra.
He is Canadian and so is my daughter but I am on work permit.
I arrived in Canada august 2021 and have a 2 years post grad degree. I am 40 and have a tier 2 job.
Whats the best way for me to proceed for PR?
Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Effective February this I was on common law with this guy. We welcomed a baby this year too. One month post my delivery, I discovered he was cheating, kicked him out of the house and now we are separated.
Both of us haven’t changed the status on cra.
He is Canadian and so is my daughter but I am on work permit.
I arrived in Canada august 2021 and have a 2 years post grad degree. I am 40 and have a tier 2 job.
Whats the best way for me to proceed for PR?
Thanks
You need to get PR through Express Entry or PNP program. Unfortunately your age works agains you because past 40 you lose points. When does your work permit expire? Being common law since no longer together nor having Canadian child has no bearing on your PR pathway.

Last edited:

Fool me once

May 23, 2021
Okay guys here’s a thing. My common law partner doesn’t want us to declare separated. We still have same address on paper for now and are registered as common law in cra tax.
Anyways,
Express entry points as single is coming to 554 and as common law 569.
I don’t want to apply using him as common law as I plan to declare separation soon.
Is 554 good enough to qualify?
I also have good relationship with my local mp who may put in a good word and I have a newborn I take care of .

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
“I also have good relationship with my local mp who may put in a good word and I have a newborn I take care of .”

Put in a good word with who ?

Knowing your MP is irrelevant, or taking care of a newborn

Fool me once

May 23, 2021
A good mp helps put in word through ircc.

they really help immigrants . Atleast the one in my area does. He has advanced many immigrants pr applications. And they follow through till you get your card.

“I also have good relationship with my local mp who may put in a good word and I have a newborn I take care of .”

[/QUOTE]

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Okay guys here’s a thing. My common law partner doesn’t want us to declare separated. We still have same address on paper for now and are registered as common law in cra tax.
Anyways,
Express entry points as single is coming to 554 and as common law 569.
I don’t want to apply using him as common law as I plan to declare separation soon.
Is 554 good enough to qualify?
I also have good relationship with my local mp who may put in a good word and I have a newborn I take care of .
Since you have 554, you should have gotten a ITA by now. How is your score so high? Assume you know French and English, PhD, LMIA? MP cannot give you PR. Having a Canadian child doesn’t let you get PR. You still need to qualify.

Fool me once

May 23, 2021
Since you have 554, you should have gotten a ITA by now. How is your score so high? Assume you know French and English, PhD, LMIA? MP cannot give you PR. Having a Canadian child doesn’t let you get PR. You still need to qualify.
How to get ItA?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
A good mp helps put in word through ircc.

they really help immigrants . Atleast the one in my area does. He has advanced many immigrants pr applications. And they follow through till you get your card.

[/QUOTE]

What you’re implying is called “ undue influence . It’s illegal

Undue influence, according to Canadian law, refers to a situation where one person uses their position of power or trust to pressure or manipulate another person into making a decision that they would not have made otherwise.

Conflict of interest

https://www.ourcommons.ca/procedure/standing-orders/Appa1-e.html