+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming back into Canada after visitor status expired

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
Hi there,

My wife will be flying back to the States early next Month. Her 6 month visitor stay in Canada ended the middle of this month, and 30 days before it expired, we submitted a request for extension. That is still pending.

I understand that she has implied status until they make a decision. My question is, will she be given a hard time at the boarder coming back, if the government still has not come to a decision?

We are going to print off proof that she submitted for an extension, and she has also been approved for PR! (side note - this happened extremely fast- just over 4 months).

Cheers,
Eli

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
It is my understanding that if you have an application in for an extension and you leave the country before a decision has been made, your application is automatically cancelled. You have to stay in Canada until you get the extension. I have learned this from reading the forums, though, and have no first hand experience with it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
viva-c said:
It is my understanding that if you have an application in for an extension and you leave the country before a decision has been made, your application is automatically cancelled. You have to stay in Canada until you get the extension. I have learned this from reading the forums, though, and have no first hand experience with it.
That's correct. When the OP's wife re-enters Canada, she will be assessed all over again by CBSA.

Bringing proof that the extension request was submitted prior to the date her status expired, would be good to have. This will prove that she was not in Canada without legal status (implied status is legal status).

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
Oh wow, I was not expecting to hear that.

Praying we either get approval on her extension or her PR in the mail within the next week :S

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
elithx said:
Oh wow, I was not expecting to hear that.

Praying we either get approval on her extension or her PR in the mail within the next week :S
What timing, my wife just got a letter in the mail stating "Confirmation of Permanent Residence", however in larger letters across it is says "Not Valid For Travel". I'm assuming we will be getting the actually PR card at a later date, and this will now help us now?

EDIT: Sorry, I just leaned there is another page that stats she needs to go into a CIC office to get her PR. I'm sure once the has that she should be good to travel.

Thanks for the replies :)

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
elithx said:
What timing, my wife just got a letter in the mail stating "Confirmation of Permanent Residence", however in larger letters across it is says "Not Valid For Travel". I'm assuming we will be getting the actually PR card at a later date, and this will now help us now?
Congratulations! The COPR is all she needs to officially land as an immigrant in Canada. She will not receive her PR card until she lands.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/arrival.asp

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Or...to make it really easy...

She could take the COPR with her when she leaves and simply `land' with it when she returns to Canada, either at a land border or at the airport. All of the international airports in Canada have immigration services (I believe) but the hours may vary. Best to check with the airport.

She will need to complete the B4 form(s) to import her personal belongings without having to pay duties and taxes...including items that she will bring at a later date.

Congrats!