+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cnjugal ans spouce sponcer

ryanrakan

Apr 2, 2018
Good day
I am from country where same sex marriage is not legal. My boyfriend is from Canada. We know each other for 5 years.
We are going to get married in south africa. Two marriage certificate will be issued. Abridged certificate and Unabridged certificate marriage.
My questions are :
1/ is conjugal a good idea for us? Since we have immigration barriere. Is it easy for our situation? The processing time.
2/ what kind of marriage certificate is needed in Canada.? Unabridged or abridged marriage certificate?. Knowing that unabridged certificate takes years to be issued.
3/ does a lawyer can make it easy and short processing time for us? Both the spouce sponcering and the issued of unabridged marriage certificate. I have heard that there is some organization in south africa helps people to get this certificate in a very short time.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you can marry and get married then there are no barriers so you aren’t conjugal. Once married, your spouse returns to Canada and applies for spousal sponsorship. A lawyer can’t expedite the sponsorship process.

Reactions: ryanrakan

ryanrakan

Apr 2, 2018
If you can marry and get married then there are no barriers so you aren’t conjugal. Once married, your spouse returns to Canada and applies for spousal sponsorship. A lawyer can’t expedite the sponsorship process.
sorry for not making it clear .i meant if we coudlnt get married .does conjigale applied for us in this case
and it will be easy for us since there is an immigration barriere

ryanrakan

Apr 2, 2018
Conjugal is the hardest to prove and most time consuming option. If there is a chance you can get married, do that.
thank you .the problem about getting married is that i dont know what kind of marriage certificate i need as in africa there i s the abridged certificate and the unabridged one .the last one i heard takes very long time

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
thank you .the problem about getting married is that i dont know what kind of marriage certificate i need as in africa there i s the abridged certificate and the unabridged one .the last one i heard takes very long time
I don't know the difference, but you need an official recognized certificate that states you were married and to whom you were married.

Based on a google search, the abridged certificate seems really much similar to a Canadian marriage certificate, so that's probably fine.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can check this site for info as to special requirements:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

When I plugged in docs from south africa, it said no special requirements. Unfortunately doesn't specifically answer your question, implies that the 'standard' is acceptable. I do not know though.

This site implies the non-abrdiged is given to all 'foreign' couples.
http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/politics/difference-between-abridged-and-unabridged-marriage-certificate/

Hope this helps although not a definitive answer. You best ask around and see if other south africans have dealt with this.

I agree with above that getting married if possible is FAR preferable. One approach you could consider - not without a bit of risk - is apply for the unabridged, submit the abridged with your application with a letter noting that the unabridged has been applied for. Again though a risk if it turns out the longer form is required, it could coneivably get returned - although possible they would just ask for it later.

ryanrakan

Apr 2, 2018
I don't know the difference, but you need an official recognized certificate that states you were married and to whom you were married.

Based on a google search, the abridged certificate seems really much similar to a Canadian marriage certificate, so that's probably fine.
thank you very much one last question.is it true that the spouce sponcer are more fast now .
if our paper are all set .do you think it wont take more than one your to be processed

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thank you very much one last question.is it true that the spouce sponcer are more fast now .
if our paper are all set .do you think it wont take more than one your to be processed
Impossible to say. Given covid there is a large backlog. Would not count on it being much faster than a year (a year would be good), and over a year would not be unusual.

Of course, they may speed up, but I would not count on it.

Note I concur basically with above that lots of commonwealth jurisdictions have short and long form marriage certificates (or used to), Canada would probably take the short, but cant' say 100%.

ryanrakan

Apr 2, 2018
Impossible to say. Given covid there is a large backlog. Would not count on it being much faster than a year (a year would be good), and over a year would not be unusual.

Of course, they may speed up, but I would not count on it.

Note I concur basically with above that lots of commonwealth jurisdictions have short and long form marriage certificates (or used to), Canada would probably take the short, but cant' say 100%.
thank you .
i found this about the marriage certificate
http://www.sacanada.org/topic/22305-marriage-cerificate-handwritten-abridged-or-unabridged/

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015