+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit to spouse sponsored permanent residence

n.n.2130

Apr 20, 2024
Hi everyone,
Myself living in Canada since 2018 and am a permanent resident, currently working in Ontario. I recently got married in Ontario. My wife is living in Surrey, BC and she is on a closed work permit which is valid till May 2025. I am going to apply for her PR through the spousal-sponsored Permanent resident stream as well as an open work permit. So, can my wife resign from her job and move to Ontario with me while on a closed work permit?
Of course, she will not work until she gets her PR or open work permit. Will that cause any trouble in PR processing?

* We already received all the documents regarding her employment. (Job offer letter including duties, LMIA, Pay stubs, T4)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
Myself living in Canada since 2018 and am a permanent resident, currently working in Ontario. I recently got married in Ontario. My wife is living in Surrey, BC and she is on a closed work permit which is valid till May 2025. I am going to apply for her PR through the spousal-sponsored Permanent resident stream as well as an open work permit. So, can my wife resign from her job and move to Ontario with me while on a closed work permit?
Of course, she will not work until she gets her PR or open work permit. Will that cause any trouble in PR processing?

* We already received all the documents regarding her employment. (Job offer letter including duties, LMIA, Pay stubs, T4)
You have to submit the spousal sponsorship application first. One you have AOR, you can then apply for the open work permit. AOR takes around 2-3 months to receive.

She can quit her job and move at any time.

Note that if you are applying inland, she must move and be living with you before you submit the spousal sponsorship application.

n.n.2130

Apr 20, 2024
Thanks for reply.

She will be moving after submitting the PR application due to notice period. However, we are going to submit relationship proofs dated before marriage too, which includes multiple trips to respective provinces, couple of international trips, resort bookings, flight tickets and many more.

So, will it have any positive impact to prove the genuine relationship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for reply.

She will be moving after submitting the PR application due to notice period. However, we are going to submit relationship proofs dated before marriage too, which includes multiple trips to respective provinces, couple of international trips, resort bookings, flight tickets and many more.

So, will it have any positive impact to prove the genuine relationship?
You need to apply outland if you are not living together when you submit the application.