+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit on Super visa

Justice 007

Jul 31, 2016
Hello,

My father is in Canada on Super Visa and he has got positive LMIA and offer letter to work in a company.If he applies for employer specific closed work permit,would it cancels his 10 years Super visa?
I heard two years work permit will supersede 10 years Super visa.

please advise if someone knows about it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My father is in Canada on Super Visa and he has got positive LMIA and offer letter to work in a company.If he applies for employer specific closed work permit,would it cancels his 10 years Super visa?
I heard two years work permit will supersede 10 years Super visa.

please advise if someone knows about it.
No, it won't cancel his super visa.

Justice 007

Jul 31, 2016
thank you!
Can he apply for my brother study permit once he gets work permit.My brother is a minor.He is 15 years old.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How old is your father and how did he find this employment? It looks like he is doing basic administrative tasks so it is shocking that he got approved for an LMIA given the amount of citizens, PRs and WP holders looking for employment. Does a friend or family member own or work at the company? Getting a WP isn’t guaranteed in these situations since it doesn’t make a lot of sense for an older person to get a WP when Canada is trying to attract young people and there are a lot of people looking for general administration jobs. If skills needed were specialized then you could justify offering a job to someone close to retirement. If his ties are very strong to Canada and has minimal family in his home country, no job in his home country, if the economy is not doing well in his home country there can be concerns that he will not return home after the WP expires, he had already applied for a supervisa so declared desire to spend significant time visiting Canada could all be reasons that WP could still be denied. Had he been working a similar job in his home country and when did that end? As already said if the father has the funds to show he can support the child and has a valid work permit the child should be able to get a study permit for the length of the WP. If his mother is alive she will have to give permission for him to leave their home country and go to Canada. Once he graduates high school he may struggle to get a study permit to attend college or university because he will have very strong ties to Canada and minimal ties to his home country. A father having a WP in Canada when the child wants to go to college or university can have a negative impact on an application because you have to show that you will be returning to your home country after your studies and you have strong ties to your home country to get approved. The father will struggle to get PR especially within a short amount of time so even if he is able to get a WP for the next 2 years that does not guarantee a future in Canada. Would suggest talking to an immigration lawyer about your longterm immigration goals not just short term goals. It is incredible difficult to get PR even with job experience if over 40 especially in such a competitive environment. The father isn’t working in a field where he would qualify for PNP for example if he worked as a nurse for example. A general administrative role will not help you immigrate via PNP.

Justice 007

Jul 31, 2016
My Father is 60 years old.Our goal is to bring minor.Both parents have Super Visa for 10 years.They are not after PR right now and all they want is to get WP so that they can get study permit for minor son.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My Father is 60 years old.Our goal is to bring minor.Both parents have Super Visa for 10 years.They are not after PR right now and all they want is to get WP so that they can get study permit for minor son.
What is the NOC? Make sure he has ECA and IELTS as well as reference letters proving he can do the NOC. He can apply for study permit for son. Given his age, his application will be more heavily scrutinized. Are they in Canada? You can apply for study permit but not guaranteed.

In another thread, you asked the same question but said father was already working in Canada and wanted to apply for study permit. So what it is? Does your father have an approved work permit?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you!
Can he apply for my brother study permit once he gets work permit.My brother is a minor.He is 15 years old.
If your father's work permit is approved then your brother can try applying for a study permit. It is not guaranteed that the study permit will be approved.

Reactions: Naturgrl