+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarity regarding the process and sequencing of sponsorship

Lynnekovan

Sep 4, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen living in the UK. I want to sponsor my husband to become a permanent resident in Canada. We have no dependants. I have looked through the Family Class Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside CanadaPart 1: The sponsor’s guide. Am I correct in thinking that the documents I need to complete and send are:

IMM 1344 Application to Sponsor, sponsorship agreement and undertaking
IMM 5481 Sponsorship evaluation
IMM 0008 Generic application for Canada
IMM 5669 Schedule A background/Declaration
IMM 5287 Document checklist
Supporting documents as outlined in the checklist.

We have had a Police check carried out and have the certificate, but we are not sure when to send it, and also when to arrange the medical.
Are the above documents used to decide if I am suitable to sponsor, and if I am, we will be sent further application forms?

In other words, is the above all we need to do initially? I am keen to get this process started, but want to make certain I get it right!

Thank you in advance from a muddle headed applicant!

Lynne

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't have it quite right...

You need to complete all of the forms listed on the following page (sponsorship and immigration forms) and send them as a package to Mississauga for sponsor approval. Once the sponsor has been approved, Mississauga will forward the file to the London office for further processing.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Include the police checks and medical with your original application package.

Hope this helps.

Lynnekovan

Sep 4, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for that. I am now in the process of filling in the IMM 5490 Sponsored spouse questionnaire. It's not easy, as we have been living together for 21 years, and married for 12. So many of the questions just don't seem relevant to us, eg, Has the sponsor visited you during the period of your relationship? Presumably we just fill it in as best we can. Our photographs are a bit brown round the edges by now, but we are presuming we still have to send them.

I fully understand what they are trying to determine, and just hope our answers satisfy them that we are above board!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - just fill things in as they make sense. For the has the sponsor visited you question - just write in that you live together and leave it at that.

And yes - you should be sending in photos from various periods of your relationship. However I would recommend you send copies rather than originals since there's no guarantee that what you submit will be returned to you.

Lynnekovan

Sep 4, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much Scylla, you've been really helpful. The doctor nearest us who can do the Canadian Medical Exam, sends the report/results to the Canadian High Commission in London where it's then forwarded to "the appropriate country of origin." Does that sound correct? I thought we would get the resulty and include them in our application pack. Otherwise the CHC will get this information without knowing who we are? Sorry to be such a pain!

Regards,

Lynne

visita44

Jun 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 4, 2011
Med's Done....
Jan 27, 2011
Interview........
Mar 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Mar 13, 2012
If the doctor you went to for medical is listed on the CIC DMP (Designated Medical Practitioner) list, they know what to do with your medical result. They will be the one to forward the medical result to the proper office.. The doctor will give you a piece of document that you will include on your Application as your proof that you undergo medical exam... Be sure the clinic is on the DMP list...

englishmaninCAN

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-01-2012
File Transfer...
06-04-2012
One tip for you which cost me the hard way..

make sure your police certificate is less than 3 months old at the time you send your application. It cannot be more than 3 months old. I ordered mine in Sep with plans to send off the common-law app in Jan.. and in Dec when finalising everything in detail saw the dreaded 'must be less than 3 months old' part in the guide. I live in Canada too so that adds a month of waiting time and a wasted 45 pounds.. just a heads up :)