+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on work while studying

Arya4

Nov 13, 2021
I have a full time (WFH) job in my home country and I am opting for full time course in Canada.So can I continue current job (40hrs/week) while studying? Will 20hr/week still apply? Lastly, will it affect in any way if I apply for PR?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a full time (WFH) job in my home country and I am opting for full time course in Canada.So can I continue current job (40hrs/week) while studying? Will 20hr/week still apply? Lastly, will it affect in any way if I apply for PR?
Congrats on your study permit. You can work remotely as long as your company has no presence in Canada - no offices with staff and clients/customers.

Reactions: Arya4

Arya4

Nov 13, 2021
Congrats on your study permit. You can work remotely as long as your company has no presence in Canada - no offices with staff and clients/customers.
They have one office in Quebec,Canada. What option do I have now?

marleesingh

Star Member
Mar 12, 2021
Why?
Do you have a link?
I read that the reason IRCC only let int'l student work 20hr while in school sessions is becauz IRCC wants student to concentrate on studies.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Why?
Do you have a link?
I read that the reason IRCC only let int'l student work 20hr while in school sessions is becauz IRCC wants student to concentrate on studies.
They do want students only to work 20 hours as they need to show the funds to afford their studies. However, working remotely for a company located outside of Canada, where the worker is also paid outside of Canada, is not considered to be work for the purposes of the study permit requirements. See 'What kind of activities are not considered to be "work"?' as an example. Visitors can work remotely too. However if the company has a Canadian office then you should be paid by the Canadian office and thus only can work 20 hours. These hours are taxable and require a SIN.

Hope I made sense!

Arya4

Nov 13, 2021
They do want students only to work 20 hours as they need to show the funds to afford their studies. However, working remotely for a company located outside of Canada, where the worker is also paid outside of Canada, is not considered to be work for the purposes of the study permit requirements. See 'What kind of activities are not considered to be "work"?' as an example. Visitors can work remotely too. However if the company has a Canadian office then you should be paid by the Canadian office and thus only can work 20 hours. These hours are taxable and require a SIN.

Hope I made sense!
First, In my case I will be paid outside Canada to my home country bank account. Second, it implies I need to get transferred from current office in my home country to Canadian office and ask them if I can work half time rather than full time, right? I feel this might be a naive justification from my end, but just wanted to be clear, as If I continued to work it will easier for me to clear off loan.

marleesingh

Star Member
Mar 12, 2021

Hope I made sense!
yes, thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
First, In my case I will be paid outside Canada to my home country bank account. Second, it implies I need to get transferred from current office in my home country to Canadian office and ask them if I can work half time rather than full time, right? I feel this might be a naive justification from my end, but just wanted to be clear, as If I continued to work it will easier for me to clear off loan.
Your company has staff and a presence in Canada so you need to follow Canadian tax, business and immigration migration laws. They can add you to the payroll in Canada or continue to pay you outside but you can only work 20 hours.

Reactions: YVR123