+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Civil marriage on Studen visa

imsherlocked

Sep 26, 2017
Hi All,

I am on a canadian study permit and course ends in April 2021. I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend since the last 3 years and he is a Canadian PR.

We are planning to do a civil wedding in Ontario in Jan 2021 (since due to covid we cannot travel to our countries) and then start my Spousal inland sponsership application.

My question is :

Is the above idea safe in terms of successful spousal sponsership while I am still in a study visa or should I wait untill I get a work permit (which I will after my study permit) and then start the sponsership process.

Want to know the best way we should we should go about the civil wedding and then the sponsership applicaion which can have the lowest complicaitons.

Thanks in advance

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi All,

I am on a canadian study permit and course ends in April 2021. I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend since the last 3 years and he is a Canadian PR.

We are planning to do a civil wedding in Ontario in Jan 2021 (since due to covid we cannot travel to our countries) and then start my Spousal inland sponsership application.

My question is :

Is the above idea safe in terms of successful spousal sponsership while I am still in a study visa or should I wait untill I get a work permit (which I will after my study permit) and then start the sponsership process.

Want to know the best way we should we should go about the civil wedding and then the sponsership applicaion which can have the lowest complicaitons.

Thanks in advance
Your plan sounds good. Get married in Jan 2022, do any and all cultural ceremonies, go on your honeymoon, then file for sponsorship and Open Work Permit together in one go sometime in March. With 3 years being together you must have plenty of evidence and your application should be smooth and straightforward.

My suggestion is to begin collecting supporting documents or even start filling out the forms and everything today. Just make sure to do everything with the submission date in mind for dates on the forms and things like that.

This will help you avoid delays in preparing the application. Just make sure your review all the forms again before submitting in case there are any new versions of these forms.

Reactions: imsherlocked

imsherlocked

Sep 26, 2017
Your plan sounds good. Get married in Jan 2022, do any and all cultural ceremonies, go on your honeymoon, then file for sponsorship and Open Work Permit together in one go sometime in March. With 3 years being together you must have plenty of evidence and your application should be smooth and straightforward.

My suggestion is to begin collecting supporting documents or even start filling out the forms and everything today. Just make sure to do everything with the submission date in mind for dates on the forms and things like that.

This will help you avoid delays in preparing the application. Just make sure your review all the forms again before submitting in case there are any new versions of these forms.
thanks for the quick reply, since we are away from our famlies we are planning to keep it low key and just do a civil wedding get the marriage certificate and apply for my sponsership do you think this will lower the chances as compared to doing all ceremonies.

Also is it advisable to start the process while I am on study permit or when i am on work permit? thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks for the quick reply, since we are away from our famlies we are planning to keep it low key and just do a civil wedding get the marriage certificate and apply for my sponsership do you think this will lower the chances as compared to doing all ceremonies.

Also is it advisable to start the process while I am on study permit or when i am on work permit? thanks
It doesn't matter if you start the process while you are on a study permit or work permit.

Will anyone from your family be attending the wedding? Ideally you should have at least a few family members or close friends there.

Reactions: DimT44

imsherlocked

Sep 26, 2017
It doesn't matter if you start the process while you are on a study permit or work permit.

Will anyone from your family be attending the wedding? Ideally you should have at least a few family members or close friends there.
yes we have close friends who will be with us during the wedding.

If I apply while I am on a study visa ie before April , will I get a work permit while my Spousal applicaiotn is being processed ?

I am afriad about the time in between my study permit ending and my spousal permit being processed. Is there a status where if my spousal application is being processed I can still stay with my husband and work after my study visa ends ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yes we have close friends who will be with us during the wedding.

If I apply while I am on a study visa ie before April , will I get a work permit while my Spousal applicaiotn is being processed ?

I am afriad about the time in between my study permit ending and my spousal permit being processed. Is there a status where if my spousal application is being processed I can still stay with my husband and work after my study visa ends ?
If you are on a study permit when you submit the sponsorship application, you can include an OWP with the application and work once the OWP is approved. OWPs are taking quite a long time to be approved these days. Often almost as long as the application takes itself.

You should really continue your studies while the OWP is being processed. You won't be able to switch to working full time until either the OWP is approved or until you finish your studies and have applied for a PGWP.

If you don't want to continue your studies, then you need to change your status to visitor and of course stop working part time. You would then only be able to work again once the OWP is approved.

Overall, I would strongly suggest you continue studying full time. That's going to look the best for the spousal sponsorship application.

imsherlocked

Sep 26, 2017
If you are on a study permit when you submit the sponsorship application, you can include an OWP with the application and work once the OWP is approved. OWPs are taking quite a long time to be approved these days. Often almost as long as the application takes itself.

You should really continue your studies while the OWP is being processed. You won't be able to switch to working full time until either the OWP is approved or until you finish your studies and have applied for a PGWP.

If you don't want to continue your studies, then you need to change your status to visitor and of course stop working part time. You would then only be able to work again once the OWP is approved.

Overall, I would strongly suggest you continue studying full time. That's going to look the best for the spousal sponsorship application.
yes I will be completing my studies for sure,

so we get married in Jan, apply by March/April for spousal sponsership as well as OWP , if OWP takes long I can still work on my PGWP which normally I would be getting since I was doing a 2 year graduate course ?

so untill I get my OWP & Spousal PR I wont lose on my PGWP right ?
So am I correct to hope my OWP should come before my PGWP expires which is 2 years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yes I will be completing my studies for sure,

so we get married in Jan, apply by March/April for spousal sponsership as well as OWP , if OWP takes long I can still work on my PGWP which normally I would be getting since I was doing a 2 year graduate course ?

so untill I get my OWP & Spousal PR I wont lose on my PGWP right ?
So am I correct to hope my OWP should come before my PGWP expires which is 2 years.
Yes, you can work on the PGWP no problem.

Yes, either the OWP will come well within 2 years or you really should be a PR by then.

You are good to go.

Reactions: imsherlocked

imsherlocked

Sep 26, 2017
Yes, you can work on the PGWP no problem.

Yes, either the OWP will come well within 2 years or you really should be a PR by then.

You are good to go.
ok got it appreciate all the help here , last thing if you can point me to any link where there is all the info related to or similar to my case or a spousal and owp application steps in genera will be very very helpful.

Thanks again and have a good day. :)