+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship/ OCI ques

misstchopra23

Star Member
Feb 18, 2018
New Delhi, India
Hi Folks!

I am a PR since 2018 and now eligible to apply for my citizenship. However, I have a few ques in mind:

1. Step by step process guide/ link if available?
2. My mother is a single parent living with me on a valid supervisa. If I do decide to get Canadian citizenship while she is still a visitor, what kind of challenges I may likely face in case I have to travel to India anytime for urgent reasons during the citizenship/ OCI process?
3. I may get married by next year. Is the paperwork/ updates I would have to provide to IRCC at that time, a hassle? I mean would it be better for me to wait to get married and then apply for citizenship?
4. I am not keen to vote, apply for federal jobs or fearful about deportation, essentially some of the reasons why people apply for citizenship. Should I still pursue the process now or wait till I get married or my mother gets her PR?

Looking to know first hand info/ experiences. Thanks!

The N

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
India
App. Filed.......
27-04-2017
AOR Received.
27-04-2017
Med's Done....
25-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-07-2017
Hi Folks!

I am a PR since 2018 and now eligible to apply for my citizenship. However, I have a few ques in mind:

1. Step by step process guide/ link if available?
2. My mother is a single parent living with me on a valid supervisa. If I do decide to get Canadian citizenship while she is still a visitor, what kind of challenges I may likely face in case I have to travel to India anytime for urgent reasons during the citizenship/ OCI process?
3. I may get married by next year. Is the paperwork/ updates I would have to provide to IRCC at that time, a hassle? I mean would it be better for me to wait to get married and then apply for citizenship?
4. I am not keen to vote, apply for federal jobs or fearful about deportation, essentially some of the reasons why people apply for citizenship. Should I still pursue the process now or wait till I get married or my mother gets her PR?

Looking to know first hand info/ experiences. Thanks!
A comprehensive guide is provided by @rajkamalmohanram here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-for-canadian-citizenship-a-comprehensive-guide.687393/
It is very helpful and many have benefitted.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Regarding 3 or 4 : being a citizen or a PR has absolutely no effect on any sponsorship or visa application. It's the exact same procedure. And the other way around, the citizenship application is not impacted by your marital status at all. So, feel free to apply for your citizenship whenever you want, regardless of your family situation.

Reactions: misstchopra23

misstchopra23

Star Member
Feb 18, 2018
New Delhi, India
Regarding 3 or 4 : being a citizen or a PR has absolutely no effect on any sponsorship or visa application. It's the exact same procedure. And the other way around, the citizenship application is not impacted by your marital status at all. So, feel free to apply for your citizenship whenever you want, regardless of your family situation.
thank you