+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship from abroad questions

dmcferreira

Oct 2, 2018
Hey there,

I just moved to Norway recently and was thinking of applying for my Canadian Citizenship while i'm here. I meet all the criteria needed for applying, but I do have 2 questions/concerns:

1. I've seen from another thread here that it's possible to apply from abroad. I just need to have that confirmed and told what to fill out in such areas as address and mailing address (my parents are in Canada and that could be used as a mailing address perhaps?). I don't want to lie or make any unnecessary mistakes.

2. If it is indeed possible to apply from abroad, how does the calculation for the time away from Canada work? I have all the other times spent away inputted in the calculator, but how do I calculate this particular time away? I don't plan on moving back for a year or so, and only travelling to see family in March. Would be nice to be able to do it now, and not have to wait until I visit (which would make it an application from within, really).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Dio

dmcferreira

Oct 2, 2018
I don't think you can..if you want to become Canadian, at least make an effort and live in Canada.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-apply-for-canadian-citizenship-from-outside-canada.90131/
I don't think wanting to become a Canadian citizen should require I be there all of the time. Clearly, i've done all the necessary steps to become a citizen, so i've "made an effort".
By your logic, no one who become a Canadian citizen should be able to leave for whatever reason.
I am going through this process because I do want to become a citizen, but i'm just not there right now, but plan on returning and living there.

Thanks for the link though, there seem to be some sort of answers there I can work with.

D

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Thank you for the link. I actually posted there hoping the OP would see and message back with what he did, but no luck there.
Thanks,

D
Just keep in mind, just because he did it without any issue, doesn’t mean you will have the same luck, which seems to be a major factor for many people here

dmcferreira

Oct 2, 2018
Just keep in mind, just because he did it without any issue, doesn’t mean you will have the same luck, which seems to be a major factor for many people here
Hopefully I meet all the requirements he did with his application. I think I do, but you're right, I shouldn't be too hopeful. By any chance, do you happen to know what happens when/if you're rejected?
Thanks,

D

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hopefully I meet all the requirements he did with his application. I think I do, but you're right, I shouldn't be too hopeful. By any chance, do you happen to know what happens when/if you're rejected?
Thanks,

D
No idea .... I did everything by the book, had been in Canada since 2012, had over 1500 days at time of application, was only out of the country for 70+ days , never unemployed and have the same address in Toronto for the last 5 years, yet I still don’t have test invite, while my coworker who became PR one year later than myself, left Canada for another country right after submitting application , had become citizen 4 months ago .... and from this forum you can also see people with pending assault charges or peace bond getting through quite fast as well... so there is no way to tell how IRCC work and whether they are drinking alcohol on the job...

dmcferreira

Oct 2, 2018
No idea .... I did everything by the book, had been in Canada since 2012, had over 1500 days at time of application, was only out of the country for 70+ days , never unemployed and have the same address in Toronto for the last 5 years, yet I still don’t have test invite, while my coworker who became PR one year later than myself, left Canada for another country right after submitting application , had become citizen 4 months ago .... and from this forum you can also see people with pending assault charges or peace bond getting through quite fast as well... so there is no way to tell how IRCC work and whether they are drinking alcohol on the job...
Wow, that's crazy. Good to know it all seems like a crap shoot. If I am satisfied with the answers to my questions, I might as well try it. Or i'll go home for a visit a bit earlier than expected and then leave for Norway once I send it. Anyway, I might as well get the application filled out and ready to go soon.
Thanks,

D