+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application from outside Canada: Near the end of my process

munter

Apr 12, 2014
Hi,

I finally got my oath ceremony, the entire process was done while living outside of Canada. For the oath ceremony I will take a day off work and drive to and from Montreal, same day. I'm led to believe I can do land crossings into Canada without a passport, i can use my certificate?

For those of you worried about absence during your application, I would say that it is possible, so long as you have a mailing address in canada and your residency can stand up to question. In my case they just called my old job to confirm that i was there everyday for 4 years. Definitely do not lie about your current residence, it is fine to be outside of Canada, there's no rule against it. I was very open and candid about everything in my interview, my view was that I had nothing to hide, I'm sure that kind of openness gives the other person(the interviewer) some peace of mind.

I used a consultant to:

A.) Ensure I had a reliable mailing address and someone to promptly check for me
B.) Just a second pair of eyes on my application

The process took about 10 months total. I had no issues.

At some point when I get time off I will return to do an expedited passport application. I trust that is ok.

Thanks

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Yes, you can come across a land crossing into Canada with your citizenship certificate. If you have NEXUS, get that updated and you can use it.

munter

Apr 12, 2014
Thanks,

I also wanted to add that I applied after I left Canada, I have seen people here worried about applying before they leave etc. I believe this is irrelevant, there is a well defined residency criteria, if you match it you can apply, even if you are living on the moon.

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Congrats Munter !
How was you interview? What questions were asked? Will be helpful if you can give some more details about interview.
Good Luck.

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Thanks,

I also wanted to add that I applied after I left Canada, I have seen people here worried about applying before they leave etc. I believe this is irrelevant, there is a well defined residency criteria, if you match it you can apply, even if you are living on the moon.
If you give them a Canadian address in your application but you are actually living abroad for the whole duration of processing;
isn't that a lie right there? Or do you inform them later that you have moved abroad?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
If you give them a Canadian address in your application but you are actually living abroad for the whole duration of processing;
isn't that a lie right there? Or do you inform them later that you have moved abroad?
OP had a mailing address in Canada. Not his residence. Those are different.

Reactions: Jok5r

munter

Apr 12, 2014
Congrats Munter !
How was you interview? What questions were asked? Will be helpful if you can give some more details about interview.
Good Luck.

She asked me basically everything I did during the period. She asked me when I got married, where and whether my spouse was Canadian, she is not. I volunteered that I had a green card also, it didn't seem to make a difference. She asked when I got my green card, I got it after applying for Canadian citizenship.

The only thing that had me nervous, which never seem to come up was how can one be a PR in two jurisdictions simultaneously which would have occurred after I applied? Anyway I was 100% truthful. She could not match one of the dozens of entry exit dates so she ordered a report and called my work to confirm I used to work there and was present in the office.

I had about 2 months spare on my residency calculation.

Reactions: CitizenSoon

munter

Apr 12, 2014
Yes. good point . Like to add one extra thing, it is even possible to fill the app by yourself. Paying some one for one extra eyes, is nothing but a total waste of money.
Well that depends on how much money you have I guess. And how much you value having someone to watch your mail etc

dmcferreira

Oct 2, 2018
Hey everyone,

I am currently living in Norway and would like to apply or Citizenship (I meet all criteria), but am just wondering - Do I enter my mailing address as my parents place in Canada and my Home Address as the one in Norway?
Also, while doing the calculation for time abroad, how would I enter the current period, as I'm not there and haven't returned since leaving in August.

Thank you,
D

Madtravel

Jun 4, 2013
Hi,

I finally got my oath ceremony, the entire process was done while living outside of Canada. For the oath ceremony I will take a day off work and drive to and from Montreal, same day. I'm led to believe I can do land crossings into Canada without a passport, i can use my certificate?

For those of you worried about absence during your application, I would say that it is possible, so long as you have a mailing address in canada and your residency can stand up to question. In my case they just called my old job to confirm that i was there everyday for 4 years. Definitely do not lie about your current residence, it is fine to be outside of Canada, there's no rule against it. I was very open and candid about everything in my interview, my view was that I had nothing to hide, I'm sure that kind of openness gives the other person(the interviewer) some peace of mind.

I used a consultant to:

A.) Ensure I had a reliable mailing address and someone to promptly check for me
B.) Just a second pair of eyes on my application

The process took about 10 months total. I had no issues.

At some point when I get time off I will return to do an expedited passport application. I trust that is ok.

Thanks

wix

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, thanks for the information! I am wondering which home address do you leave? I don't see where you can leave a foreign residential address?

SuSha167

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
Hi,
My partner had to move out of Canada after applying for Citizenship. The application is in process since June 2018. I was wondering if they stack up the test and oath dates close by so the international travel can be minimized and she can fly back with her Canadian passport on the same travel. Any idea how we can request for this?

@wix , Our case might be different than yours because we applied while we were still in Canada. But, we were able to change the address later through a web-form. We followed this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/change-address.html . Again, your case could be different since I dont know if you are applying from abroad or moving abroad after applying. Thanks!

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Hi,
My partner had to move out of Canada after applying for Citizenship. The application is in process since June 2018. I was wondering if they stack up the test and oath dates close by so the international travel can be minimized and she can fly back with her Canadian passport on the same travel. Any idea how we can request for this?

@wix , Our case might be different than yours because we applied while we were still in Canada. But, we were able to change the address later through a web-form. We followed this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/change-address.html . Again, your case could be different since I dont know if you are applying from abroad or moving abroad after applying. Thanks!
Hi, just want to know ;
through the webform ,did you change your residential address to a foreign address and mailing address remained the same( Canadian)?

SuSha167

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
Hi, just want to know ;
through the webform ,did you change your residential address to a foreign address and mailing address remained the same( Canadian)?
We only changed her mailing address to the current foreign address. As a matter of fact, she is still a resident of Canada and is only abroad temporarily for personal health reasons. This temporary stay will be a bit long, hence we decided to change the mailing address so we could receive notices on time.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi,

Lol, if you think IRCC is the kind of place that will make things easy for applicants....