+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship concerns/questions

Apr 2, 2014
Dear Members,

I am considering applying for citizenship.
I have lived here since 2003. I came to Canada as a student and applied for PR and became a landed immigrant in 2006 December.
In between I had to travel and I did not qualify to apply for citizenship. Now I and eligible and I want to apply, but I have a few concerns.

1. first is the IMM landing paper. I believe I misplaced it, unfortunately. I called the citizenship, one of the agents said I can reapply. But it takes a lot of time!
Can I still apply without it? Anybody here sent the papers before without IMM and once you receive the IMM, can you send it? Is it a possibility at all?

2. I got a job outside Canada, based in my home country for 12 months :( I have to be there temporarily. But, I really want to submit my application before. Am I allowed to still send my application and be outside Canada?

Also what if I receive the IMM when I am in my country? Can I still apply from outside Canada?

3. My spouse is a Canadian [by birth]. Is there anyway his status can help me?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. The landing paper is a mandatory document and I believe your application will be returned without it. Do you have a copy of your original document by any chance?
2. The application needs to be sent from within Canada.
3. No - unfortunately it can't.

Apr 2, 2014
Many thanks for the quick response.

I did keep it safe somewhere, I do believe I can still find it. So doing my best still. Thanks

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
citizenship2014 said:
Dear Members,

I have lived here since 2003. I came to Canada as a student and applied for PR and became a landed immigrant in 2006 December.
In between I had to travel and I did not qualify to apply for citizenship. Now I and eligible and I want to apply, but I have a few concerns.

1. first is the IMM landing paper. I believe I misplaced it, unfortunately. I called the citizenship, one of the agents said I can reapply. But it takes a lot of time!
Can I still apply without it? Anybody here sent the papers before without IMM and once you receive the IMM, can you send it? Is it a possibility at all?

2. I got a job outside Canada, based in my home country for 12 months :( I have to be there temporarily. But, I really want to submit my application before. Am I allowed to still send my application and be outside Canada?

Also what if I receive the IMM when I am in my country? Can I still apply from outside Canada?

While the application may be submitted within Canada, you could still leave afterwards.
Although absence after application submission may lead to RQ.

Apr 2, 2014
Thank you for the responses.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience applying for a copy of IMM landing paper. Please let me know.

Apr 2, 2014
Is this true?

I saw this from another website someone had posted.

7.5. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada
R61(4) provides that each day a permanent resident is outside Canada accompanying (that is,
ordinarily residing with) a Canadian citizen constitutes a day of physical presence in Canada,
provided that the Canadian citizen they are accompanying is a spouse or common-law partner or
parent.
In the case of a permanent resident outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen, it is not
necessary to determine who is accompanying whom, nor is it necessary to determine for what
purpose. In other words, under A28(2)(a)(ii) and R61(4), as long as a permanent resident is
accompanying a Canadian citizen, the intent and purpose of their absences are not relevant as
the residency obligation is met.

In this case, when I go back to my country for 12 months, my husband will be with me (he is a Canadian).
So, will the number of days I am outside Canada be considered as being present here? Please clarify. I also heard this is only in case of spouses who are in the military services.
Thanks.

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
2. False.

scylla said:
1. The landing paper is a mandatory document and I believe your application will be returned without it. Do you have a copy of your original document by any chance?

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
It is not what I think. As far as I know, there is no regulation that requires you to submit your citizenship application from within Canada. For PR card renewal/application, you do need to, but not for citizenship application. Then again, I can be mistaken. If someone has a different opinion, then please show me such a regulation on CIC's website.

citizenship2014 said:
Thanks Jujuberanch.
So you think the citizenship can be applied from outside Canada?

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is nothing wrong with applying from outside Canada. However, one would be begging to receive RQ if they chose that route.
Not living in Canada when applying for citizenship would, in my view, be a major red flag.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
citizenship2014 said:
Dear Members,

1. you can apply without COnfirmation of PR/landing paper. Explain that you have misplaced/lost it and you have applied for one. You can do this at the same time. Make sure you sign the explanation letter and explain it good.

I am saying this from experience and not guessing/assuming. But you can never predict how an Immigration Officer looks at a file.

BalajiR

Jan 11, 2014
Whitby, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I lost my CoPR and applied for it long before I was eligible for citizenship. It took roughly 3 months before I had replacement. So I had it when I applied for citizenship. You might have to provide the exact details like the day you landed and how you lost it.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
1 and 3 is false

For 1: you can apply for a verification of status from CIC - it might take a few weeks or few days but I would apply now so that you can send it with your citizenship application. Also provide documentary evidence and explanation if you have to apply now. Here is the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp

For 2: you should apply within Canada because everything is based on your preceding 4 years so now you are out of country so I would check with residence calculator again or best call CIC because answer 3 might work towards you (see below) But it is fine if you apply and have to leave the country. It is a grey area because CIC technically requests you to notify them if you are away for more than 2 weeks but this is up to you. If you have someone always tracking your mail then it should be fine and also you are accompanying a Canadian citizen

For 3: yes it can technically. It is true if you have to accompany a Canadian citizen and you have his passport dates coinciding with yours. This is valuable in a case when you go for your interview lets say. I say technically because you can verify that it wasn't in your control and that you had to accompany your spouse for work etc

My opinions are mine but I have travelled for school and work AFTER applying for citizenship, I was also RQed mind you but this was much before my post-travels. I also have a friend with regard to the "travel with Canadian spouse" situation and she explained during interview and she said no issues there. As always everyone's case is different

Good Luck