+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate for Child Born Outside Canada

imti87

Feb 19, 2023
Hi, I myself is a Canadian citizen and my wife is Moroccan citizen. We are living in Bangladesh for over a year. Our child was born a month ago. In order to get my child the passport I need a Citizenship Certificate. Anyone know the process and processing time for it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: imti87

imti87

Feb 19, 2023
I need to go to Canada this summer. How do I take my child with me? Should I get the local passport and apply for Canada Visa.

Reactions: Sarzii

imti87

Feb 19, 2023
Did you apply for it ? Any update ?

Yeah I did. I got the passport in two weeks. it had two years validity. Then when you will get citizenship certificate you will apply for the real one. Just go to the embassy and let them know you need to travel immediately.

Even though I was told that it's temporary and can only be used to travel to Canada only. But I actually got a 2 years passport and can be used to travel anywhere.

Reactions: Sarzii

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah I did. I got the passport in two weeks. it had two years validity. Then when you will get citizenship certificate you will apply for the real one. Just go to the embassy and let them know you need to travel immediately.

Even though I was told that it's temporary and can only be used to travel to Canada only. But I actually got a 2 years passport and can be used to travel anywhere.
Have you verified that it is a multi entry passport. It can be valid for 2 years but may be a single entry Temporary passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Have you verified that it is a multi entry passport. It can be valid for 2 years but may be a single entry Temporary passport.
I've never heard of a single entry temporary passport. Not saying it's impossible, but never heard of one. And pretty sure that if they did issue one, it would not be valid for two years - only for a shorter period of time (i.e. weeks) to travel to Canada.

There are emergency travel documents that can be issued, as well as a few other rarer, for limited-use purposes as well.

But a two-year validity passport, temp or not? Multi-entry.

And remember: Canada doesn't restrict exit of its citizens at all, and can't constitutionally limit entry. (Although technically can not issue a passport)

Luv4all88

Star Member
Oct 21, 2023

I sent my daughter's citizenship certificate application a month ago, and now I'm thinking whether to apply her temporary passport. Since the passport application tells you to submit child's original citizenship certificate, what documentation did you submit in place of that? Your original citizenship card or just a copy of it? Did you also need to first show proof of travel? Thanks

Sarzii

Nov 2, 2023

Thanks a lot for replying. What did you tell them ? Why did you need to travel immediately? And what supportive documents you provided with the application ? Did you apply online by yourself ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I sent my daughter's citizenship certificate application a month ago, and now I'm thinking whether to apply her temporary passport. Since the passport application tells you to submit child's original citizenship certificate, what documentation did you submit in place of that? Your original citizenship card or just a copy of it? Did you also need to first show proof of travel? Thanks
Contact the embassy/consulate to ask. Basically they're usually going to ask for passport applicaiton, fees, photos and copy of the application for citizenship certificate.

They may ask for travel plans/evidence plan to travel soon.