None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
hilly said:
I know this thread is old, and I never pursued it. But I am still interested in doing so. I was doing some thinking and my father always talks about how as a kid his parents would take them to Canada and they never had an issue because they were Canadian because their parents were. But back then I don't think children were required to have passports. I could be wrong. Also when he was in prep school as a teen his friends mother had offered he and another person a summer job in Canada. My dad said he could go because he was Canadian and would have no issue working there. But his friend couldn't go because he was not Canadian. So I am wondering if in fact maybe his birth wasn't registered at birth but maybe later. Because how could he have gone back and forth etc?
I can say this much, I grew up in Northern Maine and I'm 40. I use to freely cross the border all the time. Most times it was as simple as a border patrol asking what you were doing in Canada and letting me go on my way with just a quick glance at my DL. This was in the 80's and early-mid 90's. There was not much in the way of keeping records at the borders I crossed to enter into Canada . I'm sure it's all different now. I would just apply and find out. I'm sending my application in as soon as my fathers certified copy of his Canadian Citizenship card arrives in the mail. We won't know until we apply and patiently wait.

noisydoll73

Aug 25, 2015
Hello, I hope i am not too late to this conversation... I have been looking into emigrating to Quebec, and am finding it very confusing! I have read this thread and have found some similarities, although I know QC is different. My family (Juneau) actually has a book that traces our roots to 16th century France and notes when we came to help settle Quebec. Both of my grandparents were born in Quebec, and my grandmother is in the book. She did not become a US citizen until 1954 and my mother was born here in the US in 1945. IF i am understanding this correctly, my mother is eligible for citizenship by descent. My mother does not think that her birth was registered with Canada, BUT she IS in the book that documents the Juneau family. Would that be an argument for legal documentation, and if so, would there be any way that i would qualify for citizenship? i was born in the US in 1973 to my mom who was born to 2 parents born in Quebec and moved to the US in the late 1920s. My grandfather became a US citizen in the 30s but my grandmother was not naturalized until 1954. My mom will indeed be applying for a certificate, but in the meantime, if any of you knowledgeable people have any thoughts on her chances (or mine!) it would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noisydoll73 said:
Hello, I hope i am not too late to this conversation... I have been looking into emigrating to Quebec, and am finding it very confusing! I have read this thread and have found some similarities, although I know QC is different. My family (Juneau) actually has a book that traces our roots to 16th century France and notes when we came to help settle Quebec. Both of my grandparents were born in Quebec, and my grandmother is in the book. She did not become a US citizen until 1954 and my mother was born here in the US in 1945. IF i am understanding this correctly, my mother is eligible for citizenship by descent. My mother does not think that her birth was registered with Canada, BUT she IS in the book that documents the Juneau family. Would that be an argument for legal documentation, and if so, would there be any way that i would qualify for citizenship? i was born in the US in 1973 to my mom who was born to 2 parents born in Quebec and moved to the US in the late 1920s. My grandfather became a US citizen in the 30s but my grandmother was not naturalized until 1954. My mom will indeed be applying for a certificate, but in the meantime, if any of you knowledgeable people have any thoughts on her chances (or mine!) it would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers! :)
Back when your mother was born, the rules were completely different. It could have mattered if her parents were married, if she was born in a Commonwealth territory etc. CIC had a self test on their website but currently says they are updating it: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/index.asp so the best way to find out is simply apply for proof of citizenship and see what happens.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noisydoll73 said:
Unfortunately, having a long history of Canadian descent isn't a factor in determining whether or not you are a Canadian citizen. Assuming your grandparents were married, your family's citizenship history would be as follows. Your mother's parents were born in Canada as British subjects, but your grandfather ceased to have that status when he became a U.S. citizen in the 1930s. In 1945, your mother was born in the USA to a U.S. citizen father. She was not a British subject, because her father was not. In 1947, when the Canadian Citizenship Act took effect, only your grandmother would have become a Canadian citizen, because she had not yet become a U.S. citizen. (Your mother would not have inherited Canadian citizenship unless born out of wedlock to a Canadian mother. Otherwise, the child's status was determined by the father's.) In 1954, your grandmother ceased to be a Canadian citizen. As of the changes in 2009, your grandmother would have gotten her citizenship back, and as of the the 2015 changes, so would your grandfather. Your mother also became a citizen again in 2009, but the 2009 changes instituted a rule that limited citizenship to the first generation born abroad. Because you were born in the USA in 1973 to a parent who was also born in the USA, and who was not a Canadian citizen when you were born, you were not a Canadian citizen in 2009, which means you are not a Canadian citizen now.

noisydoll73

Aug 25, 2015
alphazip said:
Unfortunately, having a long history of Canadian descent isn't a factor in determining whether or not you are a Canadian citizen. Assuming your grandparents were married, your family's citizenship history would be as follows. Your mother's parents were born in Canada as British subjects, but your grandfather ceased to have that status when he became a U.S. citizen in the 1930s. In 1945, your mother was born in the USA to a U.S. citizen father. She was not a British subject, because her father was not. In 1947, when the Canadian Citizenship Act took effect, only your grandmother would have become a Canadian citizen, because she had not yet become a U.S. citizen. (Your mother would not have inherited Canadian citizenship unless born out of wedlock to a Canadian mother. Otherwise, the child's status was determined by the father's.) In 1954, your grandmother ceased to be a Canadian citizen. As of the changes in 2009, your grandmother would have gotten her citizenship back, and as of the the 2015 changes, so would your grandfather. Your mother also became a citizen again in 2009, but the 2009 changes instituted a rule that limited citizenship to the first generation born abroad. Because you were born in the USA in 1973 to a parent who was also born in the USA, and who was not a Canadian citizen when you were born, you were not a Canadian citizen in 2009, which means you are not a Canadian citizen now.
Thank You for that very clear and concise reply! i may not love the news, but at least i understand it clearly now. while i am sad--i am looking into acquiring permanent residency in Quebec and that would have made things much easier-- i also understand why the law is this way. i would want to protect such a wonderful country as well. My mother, who spent her summers in Shawinigan throughout her childhood, is absolutely THRILLED. Canada is a very special place to her, her mother's house is still there and we have a family tree that expands into many thousands of people. i believe that her enthusiasm and love for Quebec was passed down to me, and i spend as much time there as i can on a limited budget. I would like nothing more than to move from the US... other than my family and friends, I have been very unhappy here for the last 20 years. I have not agreed with the American political climate for 16 years and i enjoy the friendly nature of my neighbors just a 6 hour drive north of Connecticut. My mother has talked about the possibility of retiring in QC. her first language was French, and having just received the news that she IS a Canadian citizen, it is making this a real possibility. Would her living there make any attempt for me to live there easier at all? i am obviously not 22, but i will want to spend my time with her as she gets older. i am working now to learn French and also looking into going back to school primarily so that i can apply as a skilled worker... there is little i want more right now than to make a move to Quebec where so much of my family's history is. If you have any suggestions on how family may play a role, i would be eager to hear it. i regret not having a degree that is considered valuable, but like i said, i am willing to take the next couple of years and try my best to change that... i do understand why the rules are what they are, but it is certainly difficult basing everything on points and education. when i visit, i see so many immigrants and think to myself they cannot ALL meet these requirements! but who knows. Thanks again, I can't wait to show my mom this reply. Having this happen for her means even more than having it happen for me... she is really going to be SO happy! :)

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
noisydoll73 said:
My mother has talked about the possibility of retiring in QC. her first language was French, and having just received the news that she IS a Canadian citizen, it is making this a real possibility. Would her living there make any attempt for me to live there easier at all? i am obviously not 22, but i will want to spend my time with her as she gets older.
I'm not sure about the current rules for FSW, but in the past having an adult relative in Canada who's a PR or Canadian would grant the applicant a number of points for the adaptability factor.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

"Adaptability
. . .
Relatives in Canada | 5 [points]
You, or, if it applies, your spouse or common-law partner, have a relative, either a

parent,
grandparent,
child,
grandchild,
child of a parent (sibling),
child of a grandparent (aunt or uncle), or
grandchild of a parent (niece or nephew), who is
living in Canada
18 years or older and
a Canadian citizen or permanent resident."

noisydoll73

Aug 25, 2015
MiriamT, thanks very much. I fear i will likely not have enough points to qualify, even if my mother is granted citizenship... it breaks my heart, but i will not give up the hope of being able to do this one day, and i will begin to take the steps to accumulate enough points to one day qualify. On my most recent trip, just this past July, I spoke to a few business owners about the possibility of hiring me so that i could work there. They were English speakers and really seemed into the idea, but these were very basic places of employment... restaurants and the like. i don't believe that will truly help add points to the skilled worker list, but then, it IS still a possible job offer and would allow me to spend time working in QC. I was hoping that real estate would have been on the skilled worker list but it is not. I am a musician, and have been self-employed for the last 8 years. i do not believe that this would be considered full time since i did not accrue time in the sense of playing at the same place every day/week/month. it figures that i should have listened to my parents all along and stayed in school! i am starting to look into either possible training in QC to acquire some experience. i am determined to make this happen, so while it may be a lengthy process, better late than never. Again, my mother is going to be so happy... and if I can convince her to move to QC, being able to be there as much as possible will hopefully push things in the direction i'm after. and who knows... maybe policy will change yet again and make it a little easier... fingers crossed! thanks again, i remain hopeful and determined!