4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
3ni said:
I must wait until birth then. Nothing I can do prebirth to prepare or anything of that nature I assume? My fiance and I will not be married before the birth, do you think that will bring up any issues?

Thanks by the way for the quick response.
I read somewhere else that it is useful to save records of any transactions with the baby's doctor and hospital: prenatal book (e.g. record of ulstrsaounds, etc); record of visits to the doctor, signed by the doctor, etc. All these corroborate the birth certificate.

JamesB123

May 10, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading your helpful insight and wisdom here and I'm truly hoping you can help me out!

I'm a Canadian, born and raised. My wife is Chinese. We live in China. 8 months ago we had a daughter. I'd like to take my daughter home to meet her grandparents. Today we went to the Visa office to get a visa for my wife and daughter.

Let me state here that I'm aware of the issue regarding holding dual-citizenship of Canada and China. We were simply going to apply for a visa for our daughter using her Chinese Citizenship. We want her to be afforded the best opportunities we can and feel that she can make a decision about which country she wants to be a citizen of when she's mature enough to make an informed decision.

So we went to the Visa office and because I'm a Canadian Citizen my daughter is automatically a Canadian citizen as well and they would not allow us to use her Chinese passport. They didn't take it from us, they simply said "No!". A kinder and gentler agent mentioned that I should contact the canadian consulate. Which I did. They basically said nothing.
I know that once we use her canadian passport we will be forced by Chinese gov't to renounce one of her citizenships. This is not a choice I feel I'm ready to make... nor is my wife.

Is there any way around this? I've heard whispers of being able to use HK as a portal to double chop two passports. I've also heard that there are some ways around having to use the Canadian passport to go back. I just don't know what they are... I don't understand the logistics of such a thing.

Any suggestions? Tips? Bits of advice? Moments of wisdom you're willing to share?

I just want my daugher to meet her Canadian family. It shouldn't be this hard... should it? :'(

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JamesB123 said:
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading your helpful insight and wisdom here and I'm truly hoping you can help me out!

I'm a Canadian, born and raised. My wife is Chinese. We live in China. 8 months ago we had a daughter. I'd like to take my daughter home to meet her grandparents. Today we went to the Visa office to get a visa for my wife and daughter.

Let me state here that I'm aware of the issue regarding holding dual-citizenship of Canada and China. We were simply going to apply for a visa for our daughter using her Chinese Citizenship. We want her to be afforded the best opportunities we can and feel that she can make a decision about which country she wants to be a citizen of when she's mature enough to make an informed decision.

So we went to the Visa office and because I'm a Canadian Citizen my daughter is automatically a Canadian citizen as well and they would not allow us to use her Chinese passport. They didn't take it from us, they simply said "No!". A kinder and gentler agent mentioned that I should contact the canadian consulate. Which I did. They basically said nothing.
I know that once we use her canadian passport we will be forced by Chinese gov't to renounce one of her citizenships. This is not a choice I feel I'm ready to make... nor is my wife.

Is there any way around this? I've heard whispers of being able to use HK as a portal to double chop two passports. I've also heard that there are some ways around having to use the Canadian passport to go back. I just don't know what they are... I don't understand the logistics of such a thing.

Any suggestions? Tips? Bits of advice? Moments of wisdom you're willing to share?

I just want my daugher to meet her Canadian family. It shouldn't be this hard... should it? :'(
I don't think your daughter qualifies for a visa to visit Canada because she qualifies for Canadian citizenship. Why don't you just get a Canadian Citizenship card for your daughter and apply her Canadian passport at the Canadian Consulate?

About using HK as a portal, your wife and daughter can try to get a visiting visa to HK. Once in HK, you guys can go to the Airport in Lantau. Your daughter can show either (a) a combination of her Chinese passport and Canadian citizenship card or (b) just the Canadian passport with the e tickets to the airlines/customs. Once the formalities are completed, you guys can proceed to the gate to board the plane to Canada. If you guys would be returning to China, I guess via HK would be the best option.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How will the Chinese government know that she has a Canadian passport? Like any dual citizen, when traveling between your two home countries, you always use your home country passport on entry. You think they will check that there is no stamp or visa in her Chinese passport? You could solve this by traveling through a country where Chinese citizens do not need a visa and traveling from there to Canada (using the Canadian passport). Using a Chinese passport and citizenship card as suggested could work but it is possible that the airline will not let you board as a citizenship card is not really a travel document.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
JamesB123 said:
Hi Everyone,

So, your daughter has a CHinese passport, but not yet a Canadian passport. Right?

It takes about a year to get a citizenship certificate, and I think a few months more to get a Canadian passport, so going that route (even if you wanted to) would not allow her to visit Canada any time soon.

Is it difficult to get back her Chinese citizenship if she should "go Canadian" now, and later wish to revert to Chinese citizenship? If not, I'd apply for her Canadian citizenship now, because travelling is a lot easier with it.

But what confuses me is that Canada won't deal with your daughter as a Chinese citizen which she is, and give her a travel visa, merely because she qualifies for Canadian citizenship (but doesn't have it yet). Canada allows dual citizenship.

Did Canada give you a good reason?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they apply for the citizenship certificate, they could apply for a temporary passport right away as far as I know. However, I don't know how long that takes.

The waiting time for a citizenship certificate is also much shorter now. Last time I checked, it had dropped from a year down to 6 months within Canada and you can add around 3 months if you apply from outside.

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
The "Hukou" system in Mainland China is rather straightforward. If you want your daughter to keep Chinese citizenship, then you have to show that your daughter has renounced or is not yet a Canadian citizen.

I have buddies been cancelled Chinese passports at the port of entry because of their dual-citizenship issues.

I understand why you (or your wife) have second thought to cancel your daughter's Chinese citizenship. The "Hukou" in big Chinese cities worth much more than what we offer in Canada, but there is no double-dipping here until she's a citizen of Hong Kong Chinese.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey nwtspam,

I think you are wrong about the hukou system in Mainland China.

I have a friend who is a Hong Kong citizen. In order for him to be a citizen of Hong Kong, he had to renounce his hukou in Shanghai!

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Hi steaky,

That's correct. Your friend cannot have dual-Chinese citizenships neither. Once again, no double dipping. What I was trying to say is that hukou system does not apply to Hong Kong Chinese citizen when it comes to dual Canadian citizenship matters. That's all.

steaky said:
Hey nwtspam,

I think you are wrong about the hukou system in Mainland China.

I have a friend who is a Hong Kong citizen. In order for him to be a citizen of Hong Kong, he had to renounce his hukou in Shanghai!

farhan398

May 13, 2012
Guys, i need some understanding. my wife is canadian but i am not and she delivered first child in Canada so first one become canadian straight away, however due to my job, she moved to Singapore and delivered second child and then we only came to know about this rule. Anyway i have applied for my second child and they said it will take 1 year to access the status of my second child.

I am confused.. I just want to check that my wife got PR through her parents but she stayed almost 6 years in Canada and studied there.. when she was 20, she applied for Citizenship and went through test and naturalization process. I understand that if you become citizen after age of 18 years and went through the process of naturalization, you consider as first generation, i read under ehow.com website about this in "facts_6820852_citizenship-immigration-canada.html". please guide me if my understanding is correct.

I also want to check whether my wife is first generation or second?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farhan398 said:
I am confused.. I just want to check that my wife got PR through her parents but she stayed almost 6 years in Canada and studied there.. when she was 20, she applied for Citizenship and went through test and naturalization process. I understand that if you become citizen after age of 18 years and went through the process of naturalization, you consider as first generation, i read under ehow.com website about this in "facts_6820852_citizenship-immigration-canada.html". please guide me if my understanding is correct.

I also want to check whether my wife is first generation or second?
There is no first or second generation with Canadian citizenship any more but there are 3 different types of Canadians:

1) Canadian by birth - a person who gained citizenship by being born in Canada

2) Naturalized Canadian - a person who immigrated to Canada and gained citizenship by application. It does not matter if the person gained citizenship as a child on their parents application or as an adult under their own application, they are still a naturalized citizen.

3) Canadian by heritage - a person born outside Canada to a parent who is already Canadian and who gained their citizenship based on the citizenship of their parent.

The only people who can not pass citizenship to their children according to the new law are type 3. Your wife is type 2 so this is not an issue for you. Your older child is type 1 and your 2nd child is type 3. When your children grow up and have children of their own, if they are living outside Canada, your first child will be able to pass citizenship to their children but your 2nd child can not.

Aug 21, 2011
For Canadian born Chinese, I think the "Operation Bulletin 154" and "Operational Manuals - Overseas Processing (OP)" can help. Using Chinese passport to enter and leave Hong Kong and use Canadian passport in Canada. Please refer to these websites. In OP11, section 20, the third paragraph states "for dual nationals coming to Canada for the first time"....
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf

mangyan

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Hi there. can somebody help me with this. may baby was born outside canada with canadian father. my husband applied for our child's canadian citizenshhip in canada to be able get her travel document like passport while im waiting for my PR visa so we could travel together. my question is, do i still need to apply my child's citizenship here at canadaian embassy?im just confused.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mangyan said:
Hi there. can somebody help me with this. may baby was born outside canada with canadian father. my husband applied for our child's canadian citizenshhip in canada to be able get her travel document like passport while im waiting for my PR visa so we could travel together. my question is, do i still need to apply my child's citizenship here at canadaian embassy?im just confused.
From what you say, you have already applied for her citizenship. Why do you think you must do it again?