+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born abroad to parents with an application already in process

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I know a friend who was transferred to the US (work related). He already has an application for the citizenship in process (family application/him and his wife) . They recently had a baby in the US.
What happens to the newborn? His application was transferred to the local office. Him and his wife are practically waiting for the test. Would he be able to call and add a child to the application?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

farrous13 said:
Hi,

I know a friend who was transferred to the US (work related). He already has an application for the citizenship in process (family application/him and his wife) . They recently had a baby in the US.
What happens to the newborn? His application was transferred to the local office. Him and his wife are practically waiting for the test. Would he be able to call and add a child to the application?
No, as I assume to assume that the child not a PR as yet.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They will need to sponsor the child for PR.

After they become citizens and the child is a PR, they can immediately apply for the child's citizenship. The child will not be required to meet the residency requirement.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you canuk_in_uk.
very helpful.

canuck_in_uk said:
They will need to sponsor the child for PR.

After they become citizens and the child is a PR, they can immediately apply for the child's citizenship. The child will not be required to meet the residency requirement.

Phenomenal

Feb 4, 2014
That assumption is very wrong. By virtue of right, if one of the parents of the child becomes a Canadian Citizen, the child automatically becomes a Canadian Citizen!

They would just need the Canadian certificate of either parent who is a Canadian to apply for their child's citizenship certificate and then passport.

Phenomenal.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Phenomenal said:
By virtue of right, if one of the parents of the child becomes a Canadian Citizen, the child automatically becomes a Canadian Citizen!

Phenomenal.
Even if the child is born outside the country to soon to be Canadian citizens (i.e. the parents will become citizens before the child)

I have never encountered such a situation. For me it's funny there will be an application by itself for a child who will be barely 1 years old. Does the child's application still go through the same processing time? There is no such a thing as a background checkups for a baby. right?

Phenomenal said:
That assumption is very wrong. By virtue of right, if one of the parents of the child becomes a Canadian Citizen, the child automatically becomes a Canadian Citizen!

They would just need the Canadian certificate of either parent who is a Canadian to apply for their child's citizenship certificate and then passport.

Phenomenal.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Phenomenal said:

Phenomenal.
No, if when the child is born, and neither parent has taken the citizenship oath, the child is not a Canadian citizen.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

No, if when the child is born, and neither parent has taken the citizenship oath, the child is not a Canadian citizen.
Can the parents simply add the child to the application? Or sponsor the child for a PR and apply right away?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
farrous13 said:
Can the parents simply add the child to the application? Or sponsor the child for a PR and apply right away?
No - the parents cannot add the child to the citizenship application because the child is not a permanent resident. The child would have to become a permanent resident before it can be added to a citizenship application.

They can sponsor the child for PR if at least one of the parents is living in Canada. If both are living in the US - then sponsoring the child now for PR isn't an option.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i would advice your friend to look into dual citizenship in the future for the kid. it sure wouldn't hurt. ;)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
As advised unlike a PR application you can't add dependents to a citizenship application. You apply for the dependent post citizenship acquisition or re-apply fresh with the dependent. All in the citizenship application must meet the requirements with an exemption advantage for minors viz the residency criteria. Your friend should carefully watch his PR timeline especially if he left to the US immediately post day 1096 and he is in a slow processing local office read the prairies, BC, Atlantic Canada so he doesn't get reported/ any investigation of his PR.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
Your friend should carefully watch his PR timeline especially if he left to the US immediately post day 1096 and he is in a slow processing local office read the prairies, BC, Atlantic Canada so he doesn't get reported/ any investigation of his PR.
Msafiri, why would there be any PR investigation if someone is in the US? My sister's friend did actually leave after 1096 days and still managed to get a test and oath date without any RQ. Keeping in mind that that person has a valid PR. But given that the PR has expired, wouldn't she/he be able to simply apply for an extension regardless if the residence shows Canada or not?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
farrous13 said:
Msafiri, why would there be any PR investigation if someone is in the US? My sister's friend did actually leave after 1096 days and still managed to get a test and oath date without any RQ. Keeping in mind that that person has a valid PR. But given that the PR has expired, wouldn't she/he be able to simply apply for an extension regardless if the residence shows Canada or not?
If I understand the process correctly, then you must still maintin your PR RO while your citizen application is processing. If you don't meet your PR RO you can't renew your PR card and if you need to come back to Canada from wherever you went, that would prove difficult at best since you are in breach of your RO now and you are not a citizen yet.