waived
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
issues 14-01-2013, received COPR 30-01-2013
LANDED..........
February 05, 2013!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys for your input!

Deutschbug, do you live in Canada? If yes, how long did it take to get your updated passport?

That's my one concern, it takes a few weeks to register the marriage in Germany and then it takes 10-12 weeks to get the new passport. By that time I MIGHT already get COPR?! The lady in the German Consulate suggested I better wait until one process (getting PR) is finished before I start the next one (name change/new passport), but I guess she wouldn't know anything about the Canadian PR application process.

Sorry, I should have given you some more information about my situation:
I am German, married to a Canadian in Canada, had a Working Holiday Visa for 1 year and since it expired in April I'm here on a visitor record. I live in Ontario. I got my DL with my German passport (maiden name) and my marriage certificate, so it's in my new name, but I had to sign like I did in my passport.

Another question: In the list one document I can show to get OHIP is "Written confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada". Is this the sponsorship approval or can I contact CIC to get this written confirmation? We are filing outland, if that's important.

Thanks again, your help is much appriciated!

Deutschbug

Star Member
Dec 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-09-2012 AIP
Interview........
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2013 DM
LANDED..........
Hopefully Dec. 2013?
Franzi said:
Another question: In the list one document I can show to get OHIP is "Written confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada". Is this the sponsorship approval or can I contact CIC to get this written confirmation? We are filing outland, if that's important.
Unfortunately, what they mean by "written confirmation" is the AIP letter, which you only get when applying inland. Currently, there is no way to get OHIP when you apply outland before you are landed as a PR, unless you have a temporary work permit that makes you eligible (and then you would just show that at the OHIP counter). We have applied inland, so I hope we get AIP soon, but it wasn't really that relevant for us since I'm still employed anyway.

We applied for the name change itself in July last year, and it took about 4 months for them to process it. However, since we didn't do it directly in the consulate, but on one of their consulate days where they visit communities outside Toronto, we could not apply for the pp the same day, but had to wait for them to send us letter confirming that the name change is legal, and with that letter we could then renew the pp in Toronto. This took literally forever and lots of phone conversations with a variety of authorities and people in Germany and Toronto, because they claimed the letter was sent, but I never got anything. It later turned out they forgot to send it, so, only after about 7 months or so I could finally apply for the new pp. It then took another 2 months for the pp to arrive. I'm assuming this was a bit of a special circumstance, you should be able to get the name change done from application to pp in your hands in about 6 months if everything runs smoothly.

Franzi

Star Member
Jan 23, 2012
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-15-2012 (received 05-17-2012)
Doc's Request.
10-12-2012 additional information req.
AOR Received.
Vienna 09-26-2012, in process 10-09-2012, DM 01-18-2013
File Transfer...
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
issues 14-01-2013, received COPR 30-01-2013
LANDED..........
February 05, 2013!!!!!!!!!
Deutschbug said:
Unfortunately, what they mean by "written confirmation" is the AIP letter, which you only get when applying inland. Currently, there is no way to get OHIP when you apply outland before you are landed as a PR, unless you have a temporary work permit that makes you eligible (and then you would just show that at the OHIP counter). We have applied inland, so I hope we get AIP soon, but it wasn't really that relevant for us since I'm still employed anyway.
Oh no, this is really unfortunate. :( I had a temporary work permit (Working Holiday Visa) for one year and I didn't apply for OHIP because I always thought I would have to be a PR. Now it's too late and I have to wait even longer. :(

Concerning the passport change issue: I really hope that Vienna is faster than 6 months... So I guess I'll rather wait.

kitchie

Nov 25, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
Praying: Waived
LANDED..........
Praying: March-April 2015
CharlieD10 said:
I adopted my spouse's name as my legal name after our application was submitted. Before I got around to that I had been using the maiden-married hyphenated name. I submitted the new passport and it caused no delays or issues with getting my COPR and visa.

All my documents here in Canada are now in the married name, because I already did the change in my home country. I find it was a lot simpler compared to what I would have gone through to change them after my COPR and visa had been issued.
Hi Charlie,

My application for PR under FSW is pending, PER has been issued. Our annulment has been granted but it would take about
6 months to process the annotation with the NSO. I plan to re-marry before landing.
Will my change of name and status affect my application. Can I also include my new spouse to be in my application?

Thanks.

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
Honestly, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my name after we married - so I didn't bother changing it. I am keeping my maiden name until after our entire PR process is complete. Once my husband has his PR, then I'll go through the motions of changing my name if I choose to, either to a hyphenated version or moving my maiden name to a second given name instead. I'm awfully attached to my name :)

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
Mine's a big ole mess. I got a new one in November, emailed them about it then I checked eCAS no change was made and only showed application received and I was going call them after the holidays. I don't check often as they don't seem to update often. I checked on 1/6 it was 'in process' as of 12/29. Yikes, with no change of passport/ applicant info then went DM on the 10th, which was a weekend. While, for some reason, I was waiting for a PPR to send them info as I wasn't sure if they were waiting for that to send COPR. So I emailed them Friday telling them again then I emailed a scanned copy of new passport as I can't use the one I used originally. I called the call center, they couldn't help me as mine is in Ottawa which for their purposes is out of Canada :-X :mad: so they said to email them but to fill out the form requesting a change. Hopefully, they caught it before COPR was mailed. I marked the email urgent and it's sitting somewhere. Hopefully, they caught it before it has been sent. I don't know how much longer this is going to take now but I'm getting anxious. So, long story short, if you are going to change your name as the applicant do it as soon as you can in the process.

kitchie

Nov 25, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
LANDED..........
blueangel371115 said:
Mine's a big ole mess. I got a new one in November, emailed them about it then I checked eCAS no change was made and only showed application received and I was going call them after the holidays. I don't check often as they don't seem to update often. I checked on 1/6 it was 'in process' as of 12/29. Yikes, with no change of passport/ applicant info then went DM on the 10th, which was a weekend. While, for some reason, I was waiting for a PPR to send them info as I wasn't sure if they were waiting for that to send COPR. So I emailed them Friday telling them again then I emailed a scanned copy of new passport as I can't use the one I used originally. I called the call center, they couldn't help me as mine is in Ottawa which for their purposes is out of Canada :-X :mad: so they said to email them but to fill out the form requesting a change. Hopefully, they caught it before COPR was mailed. I marked the email urgent and it's sitting somewhere. Hopefully, they caught it before it has been sent. I don't know how much longer this is going to take now but I'm getting anxious. So, long story short, if you are going to change your name as the applicant do it as soon as you can in the process.
I think it would all be okay as they have not yet sent your PPR yet. The COPR will be based on your original passport.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
kitchie said:
I think it would all be okay as they have not yet sent your PPR yet. The COPR will be based on your original passport.
That's the rub. It's not valid so I can't use it as I got a new one when I changed my name. So if they didn't catch it, I'll have to file to get a new COPR. :( Most times they don't send US applicants PPRs since we don't need a visa to enter. I had forgotten that.

kitchie

Nov 25, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Interview........
LANDED..........
blueangel371115 said:
That's the rub. It's not valid so I can't use it as I got a new one when I changed my name. So if they didn't catch it, I'll have to file to get a new COPR. :( Most times they don't send US applicants PPRs since we don't need a visa to enter. I had forgotten that.
Let's pray that it would be changed and reflected in your COPR. :)

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
kitchie said:
Let's pray that it would be changed and reflected in your COPR. :)
Most definitely. I have a feeling they caught it but I still have my fingers and toes crossed.

gemz0212

Feb 2, 2012
I have the same problem,too. I am applying for citizenship but i am little bit confused if i still need to change my maiden to my husband's last name legally or not anymore? And that is to pay something more than a hundred? I have already changed my bank accounts, health card, etc except my PR card. I want to use my Husband's last name but does it require still to pay and get your name changed legally?