+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change program

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What does actively studying mean? Study for atleast one semester?
Sorry I am asking so many questions lol.
It is a new policy so nobody really knows. In general the goal is to prevent people from planning on changing programs in advance. If sometime in the course of their program a student realizes that they need to change programs for various reasons then they can change but IRCC is trying to prevent students applying for a program anticipating they will get approved for a study permit and then after approval switch to a program. Too many people were arriving in Canada only to change to an inferior program that they likely wouldn’t have been approved for initially.

Uvr

Star Member
Mar 1, 2021
It is a new policy so nobody really knows. In general the goal is to prevent people from planning on changing programs in advance. If sometime in the course of their program a student realizes that they need to change programs for various reasons then they can change but IRCC is trying to prevent students applying for a program anticipating they will get approved for a study permit and then after approval switch to a program. Too many people were arriving in Canada only to change to an inferior program that they likely wouldn’t have been approved for initially.
Okay so, if a student completes one semester and then realises that the course needs to be changed , then it is not a problem for ircc but changing just after arriving is risky.

lamnt0702

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
You can apply to change schools but you essentially have to apply again. Are you changing to a similar program like a masters to a masters? It is best to apply to the lower priced program because there Is no guarantee your change of program will be approved. Too many people were doing this bait and switch game when it came to school selection. People would arrive in Canada or even get approval and then switch to a cheaper program, shorter program, switch from university to college, etc.
Hi Canuck78,
After landing in Canada, I want to change my 1-year-course to a 2-years-course but still in the same College.
Unfortunately, the 2-years-course is fulfilled so I would have to wait from Sep 21 to Jan 22.
What do I need to do? TIA

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
What does actively studying mean? Study for atleast one semester?
Sorry I am asking so many questions lol.
From your posts, you don't even have your SP approved yet. Your best bet to avoid all the hassle, is to send your new LOA and an LOE to IRCC via webform, explaining why you want to change.

If you wait till after your application is decided and you are approved, you'll either have to reapply or do at least 1 semester at your approved DLI once in Canada, before you can safely switch.

Reactions: canuck78 and Uvr

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi Canuck78,
After landing in Canada, I want to change my 1-year-course to a 2-years-course but still in the same College.
Unfortunately, the 2-years-course is fulfilled so I would have to wait from Sep 21 to Jan 22.
What do I need to do? TIA
If I were changing within the same DLI, I wouldn't bother informing IRCC as there's no official DLI number change involved. The switch would just be between you and your school.

Reactions: lamnt0702

Uvr

Star Member
Mar 1, 2021
From your posts, you don't even have your SP approved yet. Your best bet to avoid all the hassle, is to send your new LOA and an LOE to IRCC via webform, explaining why you want to change.

If you wait till after your application is decided and you are approved, you'll either have to reapply or do at least 1 semester at your approved DLI once in Canada, before you can safely switch.
Thanks for clearing the confusion.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If I were changing within the same DLI, I wouldn't bother informing IRCC as there's no official DLI number change involved. The switch would just be between you and your school.
That is very bad advice. It is pretty clear that you are required to notify IRCC of any changes. Why risk misrepresentation. The new policies essentially indicate that IRCC is taking switching schools or programs seriously. There is a big difference if you switch from a postgrad to a diploma for example.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
That is very bad advice. It is pretty clear that you are required to notify IRCC of any changes. Why risk misrepresentation. The new policies essentially indicate that IRCC is taking switching schools or programs seriously. There is a big difference if you switch from a postgrad to a diploma for example.
I have given correct advise as provide by IRCC. This is what I have seen IRCC itself mention over and over on Twitter, you can look through their tweets . A few people have asked the same question and IRCC say there's no problem changing program within the same DLI. Only changes to DLI require you to inform them prior to your SP being approved, or a re-application if already approved. I remember reading from one of their replies that the only time you'll need to inform IRCC about a change in program if your previous one had a co-op and the new one doesn't require it.

If you look at the screenshot below, the change in policy is referring to when you change school only.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have given correct advise as provide by IRCC. This is what I have seen IRCC itself mention over and over on Twitter, you can look through their tweets . A few people have asked the same question and IRCC say there's no problem changing program within the same DLI. Only changes to DLI require you to inform them prior to your SP being approved, or a re-application if already approved. I remember reading from one of their replies that the only time you'll need to inform IRCC about a change in program if your previous one had a co-op and the new one doesn't require it.

If you look at the screenshot below, the change in policy is referring to when you change school only.

If you change types of programs you should also inform IRCC. If you get approved for a masters program but switch to a certificate it makes a difference. In general hiding information is a bad idea. In Quebec you have to inform any change of program, you have to inform IRCC if you switch in and out of a co=op program and in general if you change levels of education you will be protecting yourself by notifying IRCC. Given that these are new requirements here are likely to be changes. Have a sneaking suspicion that people will change programs within a school now that they have to inform IRCC about changes in a school so there is a good chance that the rules will change to all changes versus some exceptions.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
If you change types of programs you should also inform IRCC. If you get approved for a masters program but switch to a certificate it makes a difference. In general hiding information is a bad idea. In Quebec you have to inform any change of program, you have to inform IRCC if you switch in and out of a co=op program and in general if you change levels of education you will be protecting yourself by notifying IRCC. Given that these are new requirements here are likely to be changes. Have a sneaking suspicion that people will change programs within a school now that they have to inform IRCC about changes in a school so there is a good chance that the rules will change to all changes versus some exceptions.
People have been changing programs within DLI once they land. Has been happening for forever. Same thing with DLI change which previously only required you to update your DLI on the IRCC portal. I bet IRCC has always been aware of that. Unlike for DLI changes, a change in program only needed you to send an email/webform to IRCC - sort of an FYI - to which you don't even get a response usually. Not sure what IRCC could do to stop people from changing program unless they also want to insist on a reapplication, which really wouldn't make much sense. They perhaps could decide to refuse PGWP when the time comes, if the student didn't inform them about any program change they made.

I personally don't think IRCC was prepared for the new policy they made regarding changing DLI. I am still going back and forth with IRCC regarding the new application I submitted for my SP. I've been given mixed info by IRCC officers and right now, my new application is on hold and might even be cancelled, because according to them, they can't process my new application because I already have an active SP (which they can't cancel because my dependent's permits are linked to it, and I have been told not to re-apply for them). I'm just waiting for them to get back to me on what they plan to do.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I dont know how you can switch from Masters to Certificate once you arrive and close to starting your studies. Unless you had two application in progress onefor Masters and other for Certificate both approved or University/College has open enrollment anytime you can switch. I guess it was just an example not very common to happen. If its a same DLI and Same Level of studies, lets say Masters to Masters or Phd to Phd program, same DLI number, do you still have to update IRCC? What about students changing specialization 3rd semester/second year?

Last edited:

lamnt0702

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
Hi guys,

I apreciate all your reply and help. In case I want to change from PGC (8 months) to PGD (2 years) in the same College, then later I will have to extend my study permit for sure. I just afraid that if I did not inform IRCC from the beginning, is there any chance of refusal for my study permit extension later?

Bmgaer

Jun 12, 2021
Hi I’m also having this problem. I haven’t arrived in canada yet and changed my program from Hospitality to Paralegal. Same dli and level of study. Do i still need to re apply for a new SP? My classes will start this September and i want to know if ever i changed my program would it cause me problems upon arrival in canada?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi I’m also having this problem. I haven’t arrived in canada yet and changed my program from Hospitality to Paralegal. Same dli and level of study. Do i still need to re apply for a new SP? My classes will start this September and i want to know if ever i changed my program would it cause me problems upon arrival in canada?
Same DLI, same duration of study and same level… you should be fine. You need to have your reissued LOA with you at POE