+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change program

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can I change my dli and program after entering canada on a student visa?
Yes you can but the rules have changed dramatically and you will essentially have to apply to get a study permit for the new program unless you have been actively studying in the first program. Too many students were switching programs to an easier program once they entered Canada and abusing the system. Now you risk being denied a study permit if you try to switch program and no longer makes sense to apply for a program that you have no intention of attending.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Yes you can but the rules have changed dramatically and you will essentially have to apply to get a study permit for the new program unless you have been actively studying in the first program. Too many students were switching programs to an easier program once they entered Canada and abusing the system. Now you risk being denied a study permit if you try to switch program and no longer makes sense to apply for a program that you have no intention of attending.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html
Good. These abusers must be brought to justice

Uvr

Star Member
Mar 1, 2021

Okay thank you. So, I have to study for a full semester in the original course before changing the DLI?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Actually the other course costs me lesser funds. Though, it is related to my previous education.
Then change the program before coming to Canada by applying a new study permit.

IRCC has changed rules.

Reactions: Uvr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Okay thank you. So, I have to study for a full semester in the original course before changing the DLI?
You can apply to change schools but you essentially have to apply again. Are you changing to a similar program like a masters to a masters? It is best to apply to the lower priced program because there Is no guarantee your change of program will be approved. Too many people were doing this bait and switch game when it came to school selection. People would arrive in Canada or even get approval and then switch to a cheaper program, shorter program, switch from university to college, etc.

Uvr

Star Member
Mar 1, 2021
You can apply to change schools but you essentially have to apply again. Are you changing to a similar program like a masters to a masters? It is best to apply to the lower priced program because there Is no guarantee your change of program will be approved. Too many people were doing this bait and switch game when it came to school selection. People would arrive in Canada or even get approval and then switch to a cheaper program, shorter program, switch from university to college, etc.
So the only way to change program is by reapplying for SP ? And I have no chance of changing school after arriving in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So the only way to change program is by reapplying for SP ? And I have no chance of changing school after arriving in Canada?
You have to follow the direction but yes you will need to have your new school approved and can no longer just switch schools. What program have you been approved for and what are you trying to switch to?

Uvr

Star Member
Mar 1, 2021
You have to follow the direction but yes you will need to have your new school approved and can no longer just switch schools. What program have you been approved for and what are you trying to switch to?
What do you mean by "new school approved"?

Uvr

Star Member
Mar 1, 2021
What does actively studying mean? Study for atleast one semester?
Sorry I am asking so many questions lol.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What do you mean by "new school approved"?
Sorry your new program and school approved. IRCC needs to review your new choice of program to determine if it makes sense based on your previous education and work history.