+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change program

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
hi, can you guide me the steps on how to apply to change my program before entering Canada?
There's nothing to apply for. If the school has granted you admission to the new program, then you are good to go. IRCC doesn't need/care to know about program changes within the same DLI.

Olay

Jun 8, 2014
There's nothing to apply for. If the school has granted you admission to the new program, then you are good to go. IRCC doesn't need/care to know about program changes within the same DLI.
@wonderbly can you please help me with clarification:

After PPR and Student visa has been approved for a 1 year course, my school wrote that they have insufficient space in the program and now transferred me to a new program which is a 2-year course. They issued me a new LOA and payment receipt. I paid full fee for the 1-year program and the school transfer this for payment of 1st year of the 2-year program. Their reason was that I did not upload my visa on time and the space is filled up.

How would this situation be explained at the POE? Will I be given 1-year study permit or 2-year.

Do I need to notify IRCC? Would changing from 1 year course to 2 years course be an issue?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
@wonderbly can you please help me with clarification:

After PPR and Student visa has been approved for a 1 year course, my school wrote that they have insufficient space in the program and now transferred me to a new program which is a 2-year course. They issued me a new LOA and payment receipt. I paid full fee for the 1-year program and the school transfer this for payment of 1st year of the 2-year program. Their reason was that I did not upload my visa on time and the space is filled up.

How would this situation be explained at the POE? Will I be given 1-year study permit or 2-year.

Do I need to notify IRCC? Would changing from 1 year course to 2 years course be an issue?
You will be issued a study permit for the duration (1 year) listed in your Letter of Introduction issued along with your visa. You will be able to apply for study permit extension 60 days before your permit expires.

Changing program within the same DLI will not raise any issue or concern for you.

Olay

Jun 8, 2014
You will be issued a study permit for the duration (1 year) listed in your Letter of Introduction issued along with your visa. You will be able to apply for study permit extension 60 days before your permit expires.

Changing program within the same DLI will not raise any issue or concern for you.
Thanks for your response

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Hola yo también tengo este problema. Aún no llegué a Canadá y cambié mi programa de Hospitalidad a Paralegal. Mismo dli y nivel de estudio. ¿Aún necesito volver a solicitar un nuevo SP? Mis clases comenzarán en septiembre y quiero saber si alguna vez cambio mi programa, ¿me causaría problemas al llegar a Canadá?
Y si es así ¿cuáles son las cosas que debo hacer?
[/CITA]

Hi, can you share your experience? The immigration officer issued a study permit with the dates of the new LOA or the previous one?

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
@wonderbly ¿Puedes ayudarme con una aclaración?

Después de que se aprobó el PPR y la visa de estudiante para un curso de 1 año, mi escuela escribió que no tenían suficiente espacio en el programa y ahora me transfirieron a un nuevo programa que es un curso de 2 años. Me emitieron una nueva LOA y recibo de pago. Pagué la tarifa completa por el programa de 1 año y la escuela la transfirió para el pago del primer año del programa de 2 años. Su razón fue que no cargué mi visa a tiempo y el espacio está lleno.

¿Cómo se explicaría esta situación en el POE? ¿Me darán un permiso de estudio de 1 año o de 2 años?

¿Necesito notificar al IRCC? ¿Sería un problema cambiar de un curso de 1 año a un curso de 2 años?
[/CITA]

I a... entry and your experience

Jbrar1

Feb 1, 2024
Hi Canuck78,
After landing in Canada, I want to change my 1-year-course to a 2-years-course but still in the same College.
Unfortunately, the 2-years-course is fulfilled so I would have to wait from Sep 21 to Jan 22.
What do I need to do? TIA
Hi
I also have changed from 1 year course to a 2 year course but still in the same college so will my PGWP be rejected

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I also have changed from 1 year course to a 2 year course but still in the same college so will my PGWP be rejected
Was the program at the same level as the 1 year degree. For example you went from a 1 year postgrad diploma to a 2 year postgrad diploma?