+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change of study permit

bobo244

Feb 7, 2024
Hello, I have a doubt, I applied in September 2023, for a study permit as a full time international student, under the previous financial requirements, CAD$ 10,000, plus tuition costs. when my study permit was issued this year, it was conditioned to that permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada, so I am not allowed to work in Canada 20 hours per week, as most full time international students, despite being eligible, so I could change this, with a change on the conditions of my study permit, but it does requires now CAD$ 20,675, I only have CAD$ 15,000, plus tuition, my question is does this new financial requirement necessarily apply to my study permit? mine is not a new study permit, it was applied way before the new financial requirement was imposed. Can I claim to be a destitute student? it was not my fault, I have complied all Canadian rules of immigration, it is something beyond my control, Canada misled people with the old requirement.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I have a doubt, I applied in September 2023, for a study permit as a full time international student, under the previous financial requirements, CAD$ 10,000, plus tuition costs. when my study permit was issued this year, it was conditioned to that permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada, so I am not allowed to work in Canada 20 hours per week, as most full time international students, despite being eligible, so I could change this, with a change on the conditions of my study permit, but it does requires now CAD$ 20,675, I only have CAD$ 15,000, plus tuition, my question is does this new financial requirement necessarily apply to my study permit? mine is not a new study permit, it was applied way before the new financial requirement was imposed. Can I claim to be a destitute student? it was not my fault, I have complied all Canadian rules of immigration, it is something beyond my control, Canada misled people with the old requirement.
So are you studying in Canada now? What is the school and program? You have to apply to change conditions of your work permit. You are under the old rules so not mislsed. Working in Canada is not a given so IRCC expects you to come to Canada with the funds to be able to afford your studies without working. So claiming destitute student may not work for you if reason is cannot work while studying. You can try but it is only for a semester and you have to prove why you are destitute. As per IRCC site on making a claim about being destitute,

It should be noted that as per section R220, study permit holders are expected to have sufficient and available resources without working in Canada in order to pay their tuition, and maintain themselves and any family members. As such, the open work permit should only be provided in exceptional circumstances.

So step one is to apply and see if you can change the conditions on your study permit to work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, you do not need to meet the new requirements. You already hold a study permit. You just need to change the conditions on your work permit.

No, this won't be grounds for a destitute student claim.

bobo244

Feb 7, 2024
So are you studying in Canada now? What is the school and program? You have to apply to change conditions of your work permit. You are under the old rules so not mislsed. Working in Canada is not a given so IRCC expects you to come to Canada with the funds to be able to afford your studies without working. So claiming destitute student may not work for you if reason is cannot work while studying. You can try but it is only for a semester and you have to prove why you are destitute. As per IRCC site on making a claim about being destitute,

It should be noted that as per section R220, study permit holders are expected to have sufficient and available resources without working in Canada in order to pay their tuition, and maintain themselves and any family members. As such, the open work permit should only be provided in exceptional circumstances.

So step one is to apply and see if you can change the conditions on your study permit to work.
I am studying in Canada now. I comply with the former financial requirement, but for changing my study permit, I must submit another application, Should I now comply the new financial requirement? that is my question, you know, Canada doubled up the needed amount abruptly. My work permit has nothing to do with my study permit, the work off campus authorisation is given in the study permit.

I have sufficient and available resources according to the old requirement, that is meant to be a guide for international students, who do not necessarily know the economic outlook and financial structure of Canada, just because they are not Canadians, so that numbers are a kind of threshold, so yes, it was a misleading number, of course the more money you have, the better, but that is the problem, I cannot reach the new threshold, working part time would help me immensely. I am at risk of not being able to pay my accommodation and meals in coming months, I could get destitute. Canada changed the game rules in the middle of the game.

bobo244

Feb 7, 2024
No, you do not need to meet the new requirements. You already hold a study permit. You just need to change the conditions on your work permit.

No, this won't be grounds for a destitute student claim.
I am studying in Canada now. I comply with the former financial requirement, but for changing my study permit, I must submit another application, Should I now comply the new financial requirement? that is my question, you know, Canada doubled up the needed amount abruptly. My work permit has nothing to do with my study permit, the work off campus authorisation is given in the study permit.

I have sufficient and available resources according to the old requirement, that is meant to be a guide for international students, who do not necessarily know the economic outlook and financial structure of Canada, just because they are not Canadians, so that numbers are a kind of threshold, so yes, it was a misleading number, of course the more money you have, the better, but that is the problem, I cannot reach the new threshold, working part time would help me immensely. I am at risk of not being able to pay my accommodation and meals in coming months, I could get destitute. Canada changed the game rules in the middle of the game.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

So you have to apply to change conditions on your permit to ask to be able to work. You are under the old rules, and I said that in my first post. Changing the rules has nothing to do with you.

Reactions: bobo244

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Most people moving to a new place do look up the cost of things like a compaction, food, travel, etc. before considering moving. Although you were required to prove only 10k under the old rules most did realize that the cost of living was higher. Before the internet existed you could justify that there was no way to know how much rent may be, how much it would be to take public transportation, how much basic grocery items would cost, etc. but those are a
l available online.

Finances shouldn’t come up when asking IRCC to reassess conditions on your study permit.

Reactions: bobo244
Oct 20, 2023
Insufficient funds, can you borrow money? i read somewhere here that students in India can go to loan sharks or money lenders in India for show money, cant seem to find the thread

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Insufficient funds, can you borrow money? i read somewhere here that students in India can go to loan sharks or money lenders in India for show money, cant seem to find the thread
A large number of students take out temporary loans to show that they have funds and then return as much money as possible. This is why although many international students has proof of significant savings when they applied for their study permit they have minimal funds when they come to Canada.

Oct 20, 2023
A large number of students take out temporary loans to show that they have funds and then return as much money as possible. This is why although many international students has proof of significant savings when they applied for their study permit they have minimal funds when they come to Canada.
i guess the government doesn't check, so it is government approved✔
right?