+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Citizenship while holding PR

Kimgadi

Nov 9, 2014
All Senior members, I am new to this forum and read through some of topics and found it very useful and informative. I recently landed in Canada and came back to UK where I work. I am in a very peculiar situation, I am an indian citizen and hold PR in UK but eventually want to move to Canada but before that I want to get UK citizenship, so my query is that if this is at all possible that I change my citizenship and continue to hold PR for Canada, I mean will the PR be transferred to new Passport and if anyone has faced this situation will highly appreciate if you can please guide me on the process for the same.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Changing your citizenship will have no impact on your PR status. Go ahead and become a UK citizen.

mabmabs

Jun 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5 july 2013
AOR Received.
PER 4 Oct 2013
Kimgadi said:
All Senior members, I am new to this forum and read through some of topics and found it very useful and informative. I recently landed in Canada and came back to UK where I work. I am in a very peculiar situation, I am an indian citizen and hold PR in UK but eventually want to move to Canada but before that I want to get UK citizenship, so my query is that if this is at all possible that I change my citizenship and continue to hold PR for Canada, I mean will the PR be transferred to new Passport and if anyone has faced this situation will highly appreciate if you can please guide me on the process for the same.
passport becomes irrelevant once you have a PR Card for travel purpose.

Kimgadi

Nov 9, 2014
Many Thanks scylla and mabmabs for prompt response. I am much relieved. The CIC has recorded nationality of the immigrant in their records and they also hold a passport copy so do I need to update them about change of my nationality and can you please guide me where/how to do the same.

mabmabs

Jun 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5 july 2013
AOR Received.
PER 4 Oct 2013
Kimgadi said:
Many Thanks scylla and mabmabs for prompt response. I am much relieved. The CIC has recorded nationality of the immigrant in their records and they also hold a passport copy so do I need to update them about change of my nationality and can you please guide me where/how to do the same.
No, you dont need to inform them , unless it is required or necessary..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Kimgadi said:
How exactly are you intending to apply for British citizenship? Unless you spouse is already a British citizen and you are applying under section 6.2, you have to declare in your application that your primary residence will be the UK. This is probably incompatible with Canadian permanent residency. Be careful....

Kimgadi

Nov 9, 2014
zardoz, Thanks for your reply. I currently hold a PR for UK and am eligible for applying for a UK passport in few month's time. My intention is to have a UK passport and then immigrate to Canada as this provides me access to both countries and when I do apply for Canada citizenship I will have option of dual citizenship. Theoretically even native british citizens immigrate to other countries so I do not foresee any problem with the same. I would be happy to hear your further views on this.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Kimgadi said:
zardoz, Thanks for your reply. I currently hold a PR for UK and am eligible for applying for a UK passport in few month's time. My intention is to have a UK passport and then immigrate to Canada as this provides me access to both countries and when I do apply for Canada citizenship I will have option of dual citizenship. Theoretically even native british citizens immigrate to other countries so I do not foresee any problem with the same. I would be happy to hear your further views on this.
On the application form you have to declare where you will live if you are granted British citizenship. If you say "Canada", your application will be refused, unless you have a British spouse. It's up to you if you choose to lie...

Kimgadi

Nov 9, 2014
Thanks zardoz, I didn't look at that angle at all and I am more looking from the perspective if this will create any issue in moving to Canada. Theoretically the situation can change and me saying I will live in Uk doesn't mean that the circumstances cannot change in future. But I really appreciate your deep views on this. Please let me know if I should be aware of any other angle. Especially from Canada perspective.

khan200us

Star Member
Nov 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19 November 2014
Doc's Request.
08-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent With Docs 8.0 band
Med's Request
11 May 2016
Med's Done....
3 June 2016
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
17 June 2016
VISA ISSUED...
6 July 2016
LANDED..........
26 July 2016
zardoz said:
On the application form you have to declare where you will live if you are granted British citizenship. If you say "Canada", your application will be refused, unless you have a British spouse. It's up to you if you choose to lie...
He won't be the first or the last Indian to lie on the application form so don't take it seriously. The man has earned his UK citizenship. So, please let him have it. After having a UK passport, nobody can stop him from leaving the UK for good. I know a few Brits who have left Britain for good and perhaps wouldn't mind if Narendra Modi takes the office at Ten Downing Street.

About the application, this question should be removed. The main point is if the applicant has lived long enough to be granted British citizenship or not. If he has, then I see no point in asking if he plans to stay here. British citizens should not be prisoners in their own country. They should be allowed to mover where ever they want to.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
khan200us said:
He won't be the first or the last Indian to lie on the application form so don't take it seriously. The man has earned his UK citizenship. So, please let him have it. After having a UK passport, nobody can stop him from leaving the UK for good. I know a few Brits who have left Britain for good and perhaps wouldn't mind if Narendra Modi takes the office at Ten Downing Street.

About the application, this question should be removed. The main point is if the applicant has lived long enough to be granted British citizenship or not. If he has, then I see no point in asking if he plans to stay here. British citizens should not be prisoners in their own country. They should be allowed to mover where ever they want to.
I don't make the law. I'm just pointing out the fact that this is what the law says. We have been through this process ourselves and the requirement was clearly pointed out during our interview. Just a heads-up....

Reactions: dbss

Kimgadi

Nov 9, 2014
khan200us and zardoz, Many thanks for inputs as you both are providing different perspectives which are helpful to me. Zardoz, sorry I am asking a personal question so you can decide to answer or not. i understand that you were in a similar situation to me with any difference that you acquired British Citizenship before PR for Canada. Am I correct.

One more question to khan200us and zardoz: My landing is in Indian Passport so how will keep a track of how many days I lived in Canada. Do I have to show both passport as I landed on Indian passport.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Kimgadi said:
khan200us and zardoz, Many thanks for inputs as you both are providing different perspectives which are helpful to me. Zardoz, sorry I am asking a personal question so you can decide to answer or not. i understand that you were in a similar situation to me with any difference that you acquired British Citizenship before PR for Canada. Am I correct.

One more question to khan200us and zardoz: My landing is in Indian Passport so how will keep a track of how many days I lived in Canada. Do I have to show both passport as I landed on Indian passport.
It was my Canadian wife who gained British citizenship while she was with me in the UK. She had to admit that she was returning to Canada as soon as my PR was issued. I have always been British.

Kimgadi

Nov 9, 2014
Friends, can anyone please throw some light on "My landing is in Indian Passport so how will keep a track of how many days I lived in Canada. Do I have to show both passport as I landed on Indian passport"

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
U need to surrender indian passport once u become uk citizen?