+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't choose between Canada and Australia!

GoodGal

Sep 5, 2011
Hello guys,

I hold a British MA in Translation (1st Class). I have been lecturing as an instructor for three years now in a North African country.
I have been thinking about immigrating to Canada as a skilled worker, either to the Francophone or the Anglophone area. I have no preference as of yet!!!!!
I have found a good teaching opening (40k) in Edmonton, Alberta which seems a good salary for a single person. So, I'm thinking about applying and moving over there under the Experience Class, if I get recruited.
I have recently started reading bout Australia. The Australian weather is very tempting in comparison to Alberta's!! Also, the Australian Dollar is stronger than the Candian one! However, Canada is closer to Africa compared to Australia, with direct flights to Montréal!!! My community is way bigger in Canada than in Australia (a small number in Melbourne and Sydney), in case I'd get homesick!!

I would like to get your inputs regarding: work opportunities (let's say education and IT), Taxes, rent and cost of living, life quality, Higher education quality/cost, immigration procedure and duration, Permanent residency acquisition, Health services, welfare, British credentials acceptance (equivalency), etc.

Bref, some real life based advice that would help me make up my mind, coz I can't choose right now ???

Thanks

loggan

Apr 18, 2010
Hi goodgal,
dono much about translators. Bt take time, be careful and seek God's advise. Am a doctor who had a similar dilema some 3yrs ago and decided to choose Canada. I found many closed doors to PR holders who are skilled workers . Many people hold my opinion and some dont. Mine is , unless if you are coming with an arranged employment or work permit dont come yet if u are relatively comfortable where you are. Read thru the post entitled EUROPEANS DONT COME TO CANADA even if u arent european. You wil see peoples opinions. Am yet to see the benefits of my PR. I hop to get a child here with my wife and get a Canadian child. I dono about Australia.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Canada has over 9% of unemployment rate and into the recession .
Australia has not entered into recent recession and unemployment rate is around 2%

Guess ! easy to choose !

hondubai

Oct 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/11/2010
AOR Received.
received on 28/02/2011
IELTS Request
sent with documents
File Transfer...
27/03/2011
Med's Request
22/08/2011
Med's Done....
15/09/2011 Medical received on 11/11/11
Passport Req..
11/4/2012
VISA ISSUED...
12/5/2012 get passports back on 19/5/2012
Hello Goodgal,

I will try to shed some light on that topic to the best of my knowledge..

Work opportunities: Generally speaking, it is easier to catch a job in Australia than in Canada. They search for "Canadian work experience" which is obviously missing for new comers plus accreditation is more stright forward in Australia than in Canada. They also used to say that "white collar jobs" are better paid in Australia while "blue collar jobs" are more beneficial in Canada.

Taxes: Both are high. The deciding factor would be which province you intend to live in and where your salary fits in tax brackets as it is dealt with differently according to certain income categories confined to each province.
Housing: It is cheaper in Canada than Australia.
Cost of living: It is much more in Australia. Check "cost of living index".
Life quality: The life quality in Australia can't match that of Canada. Australia seems to lag ten years behind North America.
Health services: There is less treatment waiting queue in Australia than in Canada.
British credentials acceptance: Australia definitely is the winner here.

I want to add two final points here: First, the weather is not that awesome all around Australia. Some parts of Australia experience tropical climate, other areas are subjected to frequent storms..etc
Secondly, the Canadian community is more tolerant than Australian; One of my friends son faced some troubles on his first days in Australian schools; they were shouting at him on his first day to go back home. Lastly, it is always an individually based decision. Good Luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
See the following thread where this was recently discussed:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t14527.0.html

GoodGal

Sep 5, 2011
Hello again,

Thank you so much for your interaction, guys :)
I realise that unemployment is increasing in Canada. I certainly won't move to Canada only after I have secured a good offer.

loggan said:
I found many closed doors to PR holders who are skilled workers . Many people hold my opinion and some dont. Mine is , unless if you are coming with an arranged employment or work permit dont come yet if u are relatively comfortable where you are..... I hop to get a child here with my wife and get a Canadian child. I dono about Australia.
Thanks for your advice, Loggan. I'm doing well where I am right now. But, I want to get the most out of life. And, I hope you'll be blessed with a lovely Canadian child :)

jnathan said:
Canada has over 9% of unemployment rate and into the recession .
Australia has not entered into recent recession and unemployment rate is around 2%

Guess ! easy to choose !
I love statistics :) The gap between them is considerable, but other factors should also be taken into consideration, jnathan. thx for the info though :)

hondubai said:
Work opportunities: Generally speaking, it is easier to catch a job in Australia than in Canada. They search for "Canadian work experience" which is obviously missing for new comers plus accreditation is more stright forward in Australia than in Canada. They also used to say that "white collar jobs" are better paid in Australia while "blue collar jobs" are more beneficial in Canada.
So, Australia pays managers and co more than Canada. No wonder, since Australia's economy is booming right now. Good destination for managers and business guys!

hondubai said:
Taxes: Both are high. The deciding factor would be which province you intend to live in and where your salary fits in tax brackets as it is dealt with differently according to certain income categories confined to each province.
Housing: It is cheaper in Canada than Australia.
Cost of living: It is much more in Australia. Check "cost of living index".
Life quality: The life quality in Australia can't match that of Canada. Australia seems to lag ten years behind North America.
Health services: There is less treatment waiting queue in Australia than in Canada.
British credentials acceptance: Australia definitely is the winner here.
I believe that Alberta is the cheapest province when it comes to taxes. Besides, the province is booming and offering good if not high salaries! But, I'll do my homework on the Candian taxiation system.
Good news! houses are cheaper in Canada and affordable! This is within my priorities! Gotta check mortgages and their interest rates in Canada and Alberta too!
Life is cheaper in Canada: what a relief! this is where Canada beats Australia! No point in having a high salary if you pay too much taxes and spend a fortune on daily necessities!! I'll check the index, thx :)
Ok, I know that Canada has a good health system. But, is the long waiting periods experienced all over Canada?!
Life quality is better in Canada. That's definitely what I want :)
British credentials: Australia wins here. Well, I can either pay for an equivalency analysis, or get a Canadian credential altogether.

hondubai said:
I want to add two final points here: First, the weather is not that awesome all around Australia. Some parts of Australia experience tropical climate, other areas are subjected to frequent storms..etc
Secondly, the Canadian community is more tolerant than Australian; One of my friends son faced some troubles on his first days in Australian schools; they were shouting at him on his first day to go back home. Lastly, it is always an individually based decision. Good Luck!
I certainly don't like moisture or storms, let alone tropical weather! I'm used to the lovely Mediterranean weather! Even severe cold is outta the question, unless I can easily keep myself warm!!
Regarding the second point, I have unfortunately heard and read a lot bout this problem on forums! I'm not dark skinned! but, I prefer a tolerant community that won't tell me off, or ask me to 'go back home' just cause I'm different!!!!

It is an individually based experience, but it is a shame, really!!!

scylla said:
See the following thread where this was recently discussed....
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out ;D

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
I would suggest you to move to Australia, if you get a chance. My wife is in Canada and my best mate is living in Canada from last 8 years, so i get a very true picture of Canada from them. Dear forum members who think Australia is 10 years behind Canada in quality of life, please brush up your knowlwdge about Australia. There are no frequent storms here and what would people consider snow storms in Canada. I can only say that both the countries are at parity but considering work and money, Australia is ahead. Scenic beauty is far better in Canada than Australia but Australia beats Canada in case of beaches.

Love Canada and Australia.

GoodGal

Sep 5, 2011
harry_aussie said:
I would suggest you to move to Australia, if you get a chance. My wife is in Canada and my best mate is living in Canada from last 8 years, so i get a very true picture of Canada from them. Dear forum members who think Australia is 10 years behind Canada in quality of life, please brush up your knowlwdge about Australia. There are no frequent storms here and what would people consider snow storms in Canada. I can only say that both the countries are at parity but considering work and money, Australia is ahead. Scenic beauty is far better in Canada than Australia but Australia beats Canada in case of beaches.

Thank you Harry_aussi for your input. It's very helpful to get an Australian point of view :)
Could you please shrare with me the true picture you have gotten so far on Canada? I'd like to read it :)
Yes, Australia beats Canada in terms of weather and the lovely beaches ;) I agree with you on the money, but the cost of living is increasin over there!!!
Well since my credential is accepted there, I could consider moving but I'm a bit concerned bout racism!

Thank you for taking part in the discussion. I appreciate it :)

hondubai

Oct 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/11/2010
AOR Received.
received on 28/02/2011
IELTS Request
sent with documents
File Transfer...
27/03/2011
Med's Request
22/08/2011
Med's Done....
15/09/2011 Medical received on 11/11/11
Passport Req..
11/4/2012
VISA ISSUED...
12/5/2012 get passports back on 19/5/2012
harry_aussie said:
No dispute my friend :); Australia is Awesome..It seems that my statement was misinterpreted.
I didn't say Australia is behind Canada rather I said it seems it lags ten years behind North America. i.e USA and Canada. If you visit North America you can see that difference. It is not only my opinion, it is the impression of many people who visited both continents.

Australia weather is definitely a bonus for Australia. It can be endured more than most parts of Canada. Again for every role there are exceptions; and this what I ment when I said : it is not that awesome all around Australia. Australia is a huge contoury and while most of it is not bad, some places are really hot and other areas are subjected to storms.
You may like to watch this video about the "Melbourne Hail Storm Flash Flood"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvRwWBg5wUE&feature=watch_response

I wish you all the best :)

GoodGal

Sep 5, 2011
hondubai said:
No dispute my friend :); Australia is Awesome..It seems that my statement was misinterpreted.
I didn't say Australia is behind Canada rather I said it seems it lags ten years behind North America. i.e USA and Canada. If you visit North America you can see that difference. It is not only my opinion, it is the impression of many people who visited both continents.

Australia weather is definitely a bonus for Australia. It can be endured more than most parts of Canada. Again for every role there are exceptions; and this what I ment when I said : it is not that awesome all around Australia. Australia is a huge contoury and while most of it is not bad, some places are really hot and other areas are subjected to storms....

I wish you all the best :)
Hi Hondubai,
Your message was received well :) the weather is indeed a bonus for Australia, since I really don't like extreme weather!
True, the northern part is coldrer than the southern one. The latter I believe is subject to heavy rain and high temperature degrees, like Sydney and Melbourn. But I can handle heat, since I was born in a North African weather, I love the sun and tempertaures reach 40°C here in August, so I can deal with that, but I can't deal with very low tempertures, and blizzards! I just can't!!! :mad:

Thanks for the vid :) I will check it out.

harry_aussie said:

Can you share with me your story? I'd like to know how you've managed to move to Australia, and the reason behind your wife's piont of view, if possible. Thank you again Harry :)

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GoodGal said:
Hello guys,

I hold a British MA in Translation (1st Class). I have been lecturing as an instructor for three years now in a North African country.
I have been thinking about immigrating to Canada as a skilled worker, either to the Francophone or the Anglophone area. I have no preference as of yet!!!!!
I have found a good teaching opening (40k) in Edmonton, Alberta which seems a good salary for a single person. So, I'm thinking about applying and moving over there under the Experience Class, if I get recruited.
I have recently started reading bout Australia. The Australian weather is very tempting in comparison to Alberta's!! Also, the Australian Dollar is stronger than the Candian one! However, Canada is closer to Africa compared to Australia, with direct flights to Montréal!!! My community is way bigger in Canada than in Australia (a small number in Melbourne and Sydney), in case I'd get homesick!!

I would like to get your inputs regarding: work opportunities (let's say education and IT), Taxes, rent and cost of living, life quality, Higher education quality/cost, immigration procedure and duration, Permanent residency acquisition, Health services, welfare, British credentials acceptance (equivalency), etc.

Bref, some real life based advice that would help me make up my mind, coz I can't choose right now ???

Thanks
I would like to say The Great Canada.
To get the job ,it all depends on your efforts and ability my friend .If you are smart enough you will get the job with 50% unemployment ratio.
Good Luck

GoodGal

Sep 5, 2011
Kanamen said:
I would like to say The Great Canada.
To get the job ,it all depends on your efforts and ability my friend .If you are smart enough you will get the job with 50% unemployment ratio.
Good Luck
True Kanamen :) I'm applying for that job, but I admit that if I get recruited I'll end up in cold Alberta ;D I've read online that Edmonton has the biggest shopping centre in Canada! Wow, thank God for that, coz I luv shopping :D
Ur logic is flawless my friend, and I like your spirit :) You have encouraged me to take the coldest road!

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear GoodGal, i have sent you a message

2good2btrue

Star Member
Dec 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2012
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
30-03-2012 (1st AOR)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
25-05-2012 (2nd AOR) & start of processing on 11-10-12
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
08-11-2012 & reached on 28-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012 (PR Card Received = Mar/2013 & moving to Canada in Sep/2013))
Hi,

Both countries are good in its own way but it all depends on what you want. You can always get statistics in terms of unemployment, economy, dollar value, etc etc... but what i feel is more important is your ability and determination in terms of what you want out of life, why do you want to even move to Canada or Australia ? What are your goals ?

With technology these days you are never too far from your close friends/family.

I kind of agree in terms of someone making a statement that Australia is a bit behind in terms of technology compared to Canada, here most of the technology is imported from North America or Europe. And most of the groceries are imported from China. The biggest industries here are Mining / Farming and Cattle... its sad to say that its been like this for atleast 200 years... where as other countries have moved away from Farming as their main industry.
In terms of teaching, well i would say that with more population in Canada (33 million) compared to Australia (22 million) you have better opportunities.

Moving countries is difficult but if you already have a job offer, well very good. Use it to your advantage, I think chances of you getting a job offer offshore is if not impossible is difficult with Australia. Starting a job right away will help you to understand the country the culture and the people, once you spend some time you can always change jobs and towns/cities. Its difficult to get job offers without local experience in either country.

I moved to Australia 7 years ago and I feel its a great country and I love it. But recently i visited Vancouver and totally fell for the scenic beauty of the country and the people. I would say that you feel better interacting with strangers at a mall or a cafe or at the train station or a pub in Canada than in Australia, people are more friendly or rather nice in Canada [this is my personal opinion - Australia is not bad but better in Canada]. The best thing i love about Canada is the typical 4 seasons in the year, in Australia you never get snow !!! its mostly cold/rainy/hot. if you need snow you need to go to the mountains.

If you like the beaches and the sun, well Australia is the best place in the world with lifestyle and comfort. If you like a mix of all seasons, well Canada is better.

I am now planning to move to Canada after 7 years here in Australia. I don't have a job offer and I am still willing to move to Canada because of the climate and the people over there... Canadians are the nicest people on the planet :)

No matter where you go, if you don't keep yourself busy or exploring, you will feel home sick.

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2good2btrue said:
Hi,

Both countries are good in its own way but it all depends on what you want. You can always get statistics in terms of unemployment, economy, dollar value, etc etc... but what i feel is more important is your ability and determination in terms of what you want out of life, why do you want to even move to Canada or Australia ? What are your goals ?

With technology these days you are never too far from your close friends/family.

I kind of agree in terms of someone making a statement that Australia is a bit behind in terms of technology compared to Canada, here most of the technology is imported from North America or Europe. And most of the groceries are imported from China. The biggest industries here are Mining / Farming and Cattle... its sad to say that its been like this for atleast 200 years... where as other countries have moved away from Farming as their main industry.
In terms of teaching, well i would say that with more population in Canada (33 million) compared to Australia (22 million) you have better opportunities.

Moving countries is difficult but if you already have a job offer, well very good. Use it to your advantage, I think chances of you getting a job offer offshore is if not impossible is difficult with Australia. Starting a job right away will help you to understand the country the culture and the people, once you spend some time you can always change jobs and towns/cities. Its difficult to get job offers without local experience in either country.

I moved to Australia 7 years ago and I feel its a great country and I love it. But recently i visited Vancouver and totally fell for the scenic beauty of the country and the people. I would say that you feel better interacting with strangers at a mall or a cafe or at the train station or a pub in Canada than in Australia, people are more friendly or rather nice in Canada [this is my personal opinion - Australia is not bad but better in Canada]. The best thing i love about Canada is the typical 4 seasons in the year, in Australia you never get snow !!! its mostly cold/rainy/hot. if you need snow you need to go to the mountains.

If you like the beaches and the sun, well Australia is the best place in the world with lifestyle and comfort. If you like a mix of all seasons, well Canada is better.

I am now planning to move to Canada after 7 years here in Australia. I don't have a job offer and I am still willing to move to Canada because of the climate and the people over there... Canadians are the nicest people on the planet :)

No matter where you go, if you don't keep yourself busy or exploring, you will feel home sick.
Great...+1