+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancel Sponsorship

S

serenifly

DulceLayla said:
I didn't really understand "i would suggest that you should apply some where in grocery store or some where" :/
But I did a research on this topic and $360 a week?? are you kidding me, with this amount of $ I would never pay my rent, food, college and transportation.....
Would welfare allow me to get money for rent every month and get student loan from the bank?
or it have to be one or another....

Thank you for the help anyways...
I don't know if a student loan would be approved if you're on welfare? I got rejected studen loans twice and was working full time :(

1440$ a month is better than 0$ a month. Safeways have good health plans (full time) etc.

If you apply at starbucks their wages START at 1050 an hour and they have good college funds and benefits for employees. They do put $ towards your education. I would try there. My sister has worked at safeway for the past 20 years, and will retire there with a good pension and wages.

You have to start somewhere, took me 12 years of working full time to go from 28 000 a year to 55 000 a year. Gotta work your way up girl. Be realistic :)

Also at 1440$ month you could pay rent, if you have a roommate, there are always options.

DulceLayla

Jan 13, 2011
brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what is starbucks? never hear of it...
well you are right $1440 a month is better then nothing but when you are alone in a different country you have to look a way to pay for all your stuff like I am doing right now.
I could find a part time job on my free time just to get little bit more $ every month.
But I do not want to be stuck with bills that I won't even know how to pay them..
I haven't start college yet but I am looking at my options.....

S

serenifly

DulceLayla said:
what is starbucks? never hear of it...
well you are right $1440 a month is better then nothing but when you are alone in a different country you have to look a way to pay for all your stuff like I am doing right now.
I could find a part time job on my free time just to get little bit more $ every month.
But I do not want to be stuck with bills that I won't even know how to pay them..
I haven't start college yet but I am looking at my options.....
How long have you been here? (rhetorical questions) lol can't believe you've never heard of Starbucks!

Coffee house ... They train you and everything haha ...

Just say, you found a roommate like this (In Brampton)

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/roo/2159127888.html

1400 / mo

400 - rent
75 - 'bills' Everything would be shared and this has cable and internet included
100 - Transportation
100 - Fun

= 725 Left over for savings or whatever

It's doable is all I'm saying :) Anything is doable.

You can see a whole list of shared accomodations in Brampton here

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/roo/

What country did you come from? (Going to suggest waitressing in evenings at an ethnic restaurant from your background?) Waitressing = good extra income (tips)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You cannot go on welfare and go to university. Some provinces will pay for job training while the person is on social assistance (welfare), but it would be a trade-based program, and usually only a very short one, designed so the person can get off welfare quickly.
When you go on welfare, the government expects you to spend your time looking for a job. You will have to provide the gov't with a list of all the places you have applied to work. If you don't do this, they will stop paying you welfare.
The amount welfare pays is very low; it depends on the province, but it is always less than $1,000 a month for a single person with no kids. It is very difficult to live on this amount of money. It is never enough to rent an apartment, for example, so you would have to rent a room in a shared apartment. You are far better off to take any job you can find, since even minimum wage will get you far more than welfare.

If you want to go to university, you can apply for a student loan. Depending on the province, part of this loan can be forgiven - ie., you don't have to pay it back. Most of it has to be paid back once you graduate, however. Your parents' income has an influence on how much of a student loan you can get, when you are young; the government expects parents to pay for their child's education, if possible. If your father's income is very low, or the two of you are estranged, however, you will be able to get the loan.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I would choose a student loan and a part-time job before I would ever consider going on welfare. I recieved a student loan which allowed me living expenses and tuition and I didn't take a part time job. If I was to take a part time job as well I would have extra money.

DulceLayla

Jan 13, 2011
brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yeah I didn't remember the coffee place lmao....
but how can they pay you so much? to do what? oh and about the room I have friends that have offer me a room for less then $400. oh btw I am Dominican (spanish) and I used to work at at club and yes the tips are good but sometimes it slow down leaving you with only 20 bucks at night.
@canadianwoman: yes I have heard about the trade-base program and I just wanted to do a very short career at Everest College in Brampton that last for 48 weeks as a MEDICAL LABORATORY ASSISTANT/TECHNICIAN.
hmmm now I am no sure if I want to get welfare if it's like that and yes you are right a regular job will give me more every month then welfare but I won't be able to go college full-time.
Today the college sent me an email saying the program is 5 days a week 4 hours a day so I guess I could still get a part time job.
I don't know if everyone of you know this but when you go for some other health care programs you have to go full time or you would not be allow to take the Ontario health care final exam....
Oh and about parents to pay for education well I have no luck I am alone in this country and my dad is sucks. He doesn't want nothing to do with my expenses... geezz he's too cheap..

DulceLayla

Jan 13, 2011
brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
o.0 kelKel please can you tell me how you did it?? what you said was very interesting...
I don't know nothing about banks, welfare, credit, and loans....
if someone could explain that...

S

serenifly

DulceLayla said:
yeah I didn't remember the coffee place lmao....
but how can they pay you so much? to do what? oh and about the room I have friends that have offer me a room for less then $400. oh btw I am Dominican (spanish) and I used to work at at club and yes the tips are good but sometimes it slow down leaving you with only 20 bucks at night.
here they usually give you minimum wage + Tips

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I applied for OSAP. I also was 26 so they didn't look at my parents income which may be an issue for you since you're only 19. You would have to talk to someone and explain your situation. I believe they will look at how much money your father makes even though he isn't willing to help.

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
DulceLayla said:
@ canadianwoman: yes I have heard about the trade-base program and I just wanted to do a very short career at Everest College in Brampton that last for 48 weeks as a MEDICAL LABORATORY ASSISTANT/TECHNICIAN.
This program does not sound like the type that welfare will pay for, though check with the college. Most likely in order to take this course you will have to get a student loan. One year of a student loan should be quick to pay off. Again check with the college, but it also does not sound like the kind of program where there is a provincial exam.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So do I - it's brilliant. I sent it to one of my coworkers the other day.

DulceLayla

Jan 13, 2011
brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Everyone who is taking anything from health care have to take the test... Everyone or you won't be allow to apply your career.
-.- I know how to use the computer you don't need to show me what to type on google.