+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancel Sponsorship

DulceLayla

Jan 13, 2011
brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone my name is Katherine and I moved to Canada almost 4 years ago. My dad sponsored me to come here when I was 16 years old. We only lived together for a year and then he left. He tried to send me backhome but I refused to go back because I was on summer school. He never really helped me and he is just a little bit this year. I was living with my step mom which I had a fight last Dec and i had to move out. I did not have noone else to go to so i had to bug my dad to stay at his place. At 1rs he did not wanted me there but then he changed his mind saying I could stay only for the month of Jan. I been looking for jobs and it has been very hard on me because i do not really have Canadian experience. I finished high school last year so I am working on my 40 hours so I can get my diploma. I am going crazy taking whatever jobs here and there to collect money to move out. On a web site I was reading about what a sponsor have to offer to the person they brought. I just wanted to know if I could make him cancel the sponsorship he signed because what is the point of having an agreement like that when he is no even helping me. I wanna go college this year so bad and I cannot because I have to work. I just want the agreement to be canceled so I can ask the government for help to pay my rent, so I can go college full-time and work part-time. Please if any of you can help me with my situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The sponsorship agreement can't be canceled.

However you can still ask the government for help (even though you are under a sponsorship agreement). It just means that the government will go after you father for any money that is paid to you (since he was obligated to support you and failed to do so).

Hope this helps and good luck. Definitely apply for assistance if you need it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
None - your father signed a legal agreement to support you that can't be revoked.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Perhaps someone else here will have another suggestion. Good luck.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DulceLayla said:
I might have to look something else. It has to be another way.
Thank you anyways
Scylia has given you the facts.
The agreement is binding and cannot be revoked, that is something your father committed to when he signed the agreement.
He also agreed that he will support you.

To be a sponsor:

You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

If you claim assistance / welfare at any time during the agreement period then you father is required to pay.
If he does not pay the government has the right to take legal action to recover the money.

I would suggest that you remove your email address from your original post.

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
If you are 20 years old now and still in school, it's normal that your parents give you financial assistance, since you can't have a fulltime job. If you resolve your issues with your father and step mother and they continue to refuse help in any way, you should just turn to the government for help. In this case your father will need to pay, because of his obligations as a sponsor, but what makes it more fair is that he also neglected is obligations as a parent.

You asked for another option: give up your PR (the only way to end the sponsorship agreement) and return to your motherland. But I don't suppose that you would actually want to do this, so I should really concider help from the government. At the same time, keep your eyes open for new job opportunities and stop the government support as soon as you find a steady salary that you can live from.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jurjen said:
You asked for another option: give up your PR (the only way to end the sponsorship agreement) and return to your motherland.
Do you have a source for this ?

I understand that leaving Canada will mean it is not possible to claim any benefits, but I have not seen any reference that allows a sponsorship agreement to be terminated.
It may be that I don't go looking for them.

S

serenifly

DulceLayla said:
I don't want them to ask my father for money. What other options do i have?
Apply for the government assistance for sure! Your dad will pay for you one way or another *evil face*

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Where do u live in Canada?

DulceLayla

Jan 13, 2011
brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank all of you for the help.
I live in Brampton.
Yes I found on a web site that I could ask the government for help.
They won't sue him cause it takes too long but if he wants to sponsor someone else he has to pay all that $ back.
I don't want to feel like I am screwing him but I gotta do what is best for me since he never think of me.
I have a question: Can I apply for benefits and student loan at the same time? I am thinking to apply for welfare so I can go college full-time.
If any of you have more suggestions please let me know. I am open to all ideas.
And yes I will remove my email thank you....

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
You can apply for Student loan i.e OSAP in Ontario. Your father is not liable for your student loans. You will have to pay that back.

As far as welfare is concern, i would suggest that you should apply some where in grocery store or some where. You will get a job. With part time job, and OSAP you can survive. OSAP give you enough for your education plus some extra money. You can be roommate with other girls to save money for renting.

DulceLayla

Jan 13, 2011
brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I didn't really understand "i would suggest that you should apply some where in grocery store or some where" :/
But I did a research on this topic and $360 a week?? are you kidding me, with this amount of $ I would never pay my rent, food, college and transportation.....
Would welfare allow me to get money for rent every month and get student loan from the bank?
or it have to be one or another....

Thank you for the help anyways...

spacey

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2010
Doc's Request.
19-01-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Med's Done....
25-08-2010
Passport Req..
27-01-2011
LANDED..........
24-02-2011
If you are enrolled at a College you can apply for OSAP which covers at least tuition and some living expenses.

Edit: Just noticed this suggestion posted above.